Are you concerned about Russell playing in the MLB?

Are you concerned about Russell playing for the Rangers?

• Yes, he should not be playing baseball, focus on football.

Votes: 15 26.8%
  • No, I'm completely fine with him playing baseball.

Votes: 41 73.2%

• Total voters

CaptBennett

Reaction score
We all may know (most of us) that the Rangers did draft Russell into the MLB. He stated that he will probably go to spring training, but didn't guarantee he would play. I've been watching ESPN all day now and it's come up a couple times and I'm just curious.

Are any of you concerned with our (franchise) quarterback playing major league Baseball?

I just wanted some opinions. We all know Deon Sanders did it, but can Russell do it as a qb?

OP
OP
CaptBennett

CaptBennett

Reaction score
In my opinion he should not play baseball. I understand him going to the spring training to show regards for him being drafted, but he needs to give 100% attention to, possibly, winning next years Superbowl. The NFC West is going to be one of the hardest divisions to take control of and we do not have an easy schedule. And quoting his own words "THE SEPARATION IS IN THE PREPARATION."

Stacks

Reaction score
Russell Knows. For him, baseball is just a hobby. I seriously doubt this will effect his NFL career. The only thing I'd be concerned about is injury, but its baseball, he's more likely to be injured working out

SonicHawk

Reaction score
CaptBennett":2nujygrg said:
In my opinion he should not play baseball. I understand him going to the spring training to show regards for him being drafted, but he needs to give 100% attention to, possibly, winning next years Superbowl. The NFC West is going to be one of the hardest divisions to take control of and we do not have an easy schedule. And quoting his own words "THE SEPARATION IS IN THE PREPARATION."

Are you really worried about his focus?

lukerguy

Reaction score
I may be worried if he was actually good at baseball, but he's not.
He hit .230 in low A and .228 in high A. I played high level baseball, and still have a lot of friends in the minor leagues. You don't get to the bigs as a 24 year old by hitting .228 in single A. I have a buddy who hit .250 in the same organization in high A, and has been in the minors ever since. He's now 28 years old playing AAA hitting .255. He may get a sniff at the majors....maybe. My draft year, I tore my UCL, I was good enough to play minor league baseball which a shot at MLB. With a 2 year recovery ahead, I made an educated decision and started my career. Minor league baseball life on a bus around the country is no life....

My point is, unless you really excel in the minors early on, you're highly unlikely to go anywhere. It would be foolish for a top 10 NFL QB and super bowl winner to try and play a sport he was below average at compared to other players. #troublewiththecurve

Mojambo

Reaction score
He's not going to play baseball.

He'll go to spring training, hang out with players and take pictures, give a speech or two and be done.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Every time this comes up people bring up his low average but hows his defense? The mariners have that one guy I forget his name, but he can't hit to save his life but has stayed in the lineup because he's a great defensive player. Just curious. I'm not much of a baseball guy.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
lukerguy":3oirhi0d said:
He his .230 in low A and .228 in high A. I played high level baseball, and still have a lot of friends in the minor leagues. You don't get to the bigs as a 24 year old by hitting .228 in single A. I have a buddy who hit .250 in the same organization in high A, and has been in the minors ever since. He's now 28 years old playing AAA hitting .255. He may get a sniff at the majors....maybe. My point is, unless you really excel in the minors early on, you're highly unlikely to go anywhere. It would be foolish for a top 10 NFL QB and super bowl winner to try and play a sport he was below average at compared to other players. #troublewiththecurve

I've had a few teammates, most notably Lincecum, that got to the big leagues but those I call my friends never got past AAA. Had a buddy in Toledo who was playing well until wrist issues slowed him down again. He's in independent ball now.

I'm surprised how long guys can play in the minor leagues. Over 10 years with really no hope of ever getting to the bigs.

lukerguy

Reaction score
SonicHawk":27sl2l7b said:
lukerguy":27sl2l7b said:
He his .230 in low A and .228 in high A. I played high level baseball, and still have a lot of friends in the minor leagues. You don't get to the bigs as a 24 year old by hitting .228 in single A. I have a buddy who hit .250 in the same organization in high A, and has been in the minors ever since. He's now 28 years old playing AAA hitting .255. He may get a sniff at the majors....maybe. My point is, unless you really excel in the minors early on, you're highly unlikely to go anywhere. It would be foolish for a top 10 NFL QB and super bowl winner to try and play a sport he was below average at compared to other players. #troublewiththecurve

I've had a few teammates, most notably Lincecum, that got to the big leagues but those I call my friends never got past AAA. Had a buddy in Toledo who was playing well until wrist issues slowed him down again. He's in independent ball now.

I'm surprised how long guys can play in the minor leagues. Over 10 years with really no hope of ever getting to the bigs.

I hear you. That's part of the reason why I made an educated decision after injury. I didn't want to be 32 years old and just starting a career and family with really nothing in my bank account.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
lukerguy":37kpwbfj said:
I hear you. That's part of the reason why I made an educated decision after injury. I didn't want to be 32 years old and just starting a career and family with really nothing in my bank account.

Surprise....you wouldn't be alone, it is done every day here in America!

lsheldon

Reaction score
It was reported when he was drafted that he would go to training camp. He may participate in practices with the team, but he isn't going down to compete for a roster spot. His role is more along the lines of motivation for the young guys there.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
lukerguy":3uax0bqs said:

I was lucky enough to have that decision made for me when I graduated college with only mild interest for tryouts.

Can't imagine having to actually say to myself that I need to move on. Tough one man.

davidonmi

Reaction score
dude, he isn't playing, he's simply a consultant and a speeker for the organization

Vpk0718

Reaction score
Yeah, he won't be playing. There's nothing to worry about here.

What's most important is that for a short time he will be the best QB in the state of Texas :lol:

cacksman

Reaction score
Is this actually a serious question?

I've heard callers on the radio ask it too and laugh at how silly/uninformed some people can be.

400WattHPSHawk

Reaction score
Well he didn't do himself any favors when he admitted in an interview (some time ago, don't remember where) I heard him say that he couldn't hit a slider or curveball.

He could have been just joking, but idk.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
400WattHPSHawk":1y5h0npf said:
Well he didn't do himself any favors when he admitted in an interview (some time ago, don't remember where) I heard him say that he couldn't hit a slider or curveball.

He could have been just joking, but idk.

That's a pretty common reason for people to give when they quit playing baseball. I would always give the exact same reason with a smile like he does.