Seahawks DVR/Tech Question

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to transfer recordings from a Comcast DVR to an external drive of some sort? I have both the NFCCG and SBXLVIII in HD and I would love to preserve the recordings in HD but they are eating up 50% of my DVR recording space. Is it even possible?

jblaze

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":1s38qbd4 said:
Yes Aros. I shall pm you.

Can you just elaborate on this thread perhaps? I'm in the same boat as well.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
A DVR is a recording device just like a VCR but uses a hard drive to record digital data. If you put the dvr output to a input connector DVD recorder and play the game again (ya like ya wanna do that again LMAO) and then record it on dvd, you will have a copy of it. I have seen DVD recorders in second hand stores. With a DVD Recorder, I would recommend getting a set of DVD RW type of disks. This way you may be able to play them on most dvd players. Remember one big thing tho.....DVD PLAYERS ARE SPECIFIC. Some are a dvd -R, +R or do all of them. If you get one that is -R then all it will play is usually -R DVDs. You can record on the non-RW dvds but that dvd when recorded on will only fit that dvd player that did the recording. I have had issues with it too. I personally have 4 dvdrecorders...one is not working properly which I need to troubleshoot and 2 I have not done anything with yet. I am playing the game at this moment on the one I recorded the game with. I have the opening sequence with Kurt Russell Wilson...oops...Kurt Russell on it. Some of the dvd recorders do not have an RF input, so you may need to get an RF Modulator so you can record to the input jacks RED,White,and yellow (audio Right, Audio left, and Video). They are sold at most radio shacks or other electronic parts stores. Look for the RF jack on the back first to see if you need it. My brother gave me a dvr years ago because he stopped using it and started using tivo. Tivo to recording would PROBABLY be the same way. Take the output of your box to the input of your DVD recorder and play the game again. I AM NOT SURE THO. Good luck.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":27i3a8tk said:
A DVR is a recording device just like a VCR but uses a hard drive to record digital data. If you put the dvr output to a input connector DVD recorder and play the game again (ya like ya wanna do that again LMAO) and then record it on dvd, you will have a copy of it. I have seen DVD recorders in second hand stores. With a DVD Recorder, I would recommend getting a set of DVD RW type of disks. This way you may be able to play them on most dvd players. Remember one big thing tho.....DVD PLAYERS ARE SPECIFIC. Some are a dvd -R, +R or do all of them. If you get one that is -R then all it will play is usually -R DVDs. You can record on the non-RW dvds but that dvd when recorded on will only fit that dvd player that did the recording. I have had issues with it too. I personally have 4 dvdrecorders...one is not working properly which I need to troubleshoot and 2 I have not done anything with yet. I am playing the game at this moment on the one I recorded the game with. I have the opening sequence with Kurt Russell Wilson...oops...Kurt Russell on it. Some of the dvd recorders do not have an RF input, so you may need to get an RF Modulator so you can record to the input jacks RED,White,and yellow (audio Right, Audio left, and Video). They are sold at most radio shacks or other electronic parts stores. Look for the RF jack on the back first to see if you need it. My brother gave me a dvr years ago because he stopped using it and started using tivo. Tivo to recording would PROBABLY be the same way. Take the output of your box to the input of your DVD recorder and play the game again. I AM NOT SURE THO. Good luck.

Isn't the data on cable DVRs encrypted? Does that not apply when transferring to a DVD?

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Hawkfish":8us4fcsb said:
Love to here how to pull of Directv Genie, too.

If you have a DTV receiver...do the same as I typed above and play the game. REMEMBER ALL, When you are done recording, remove the disk by using your remote control so it writes to the DVD. PUT the DVD RECORDER in between the DTV, DVR, or Dish receiver and the tv. and play/record. Good luck.
Also, play the dvd one time to make sure it works. you may have to experiment before you delete it off your sattelite program.

:thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers:

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":28bv3241 said:
Seahawkfan80":28bv3241 said:

Isn't the data on cable DVRs encrypted? Does that not apply when transferring to a DVD?

I am not sure. That is why I also would doublecheck to see if it recorded by replaying it. I did try to copy a movie with the dvdrecorder one time and it said no. You may have to go to a Dazzle program or Pinnacle and use your computer. Over the air is working for me at the moment.

Go hawks.

ccla

Reaction score
I am in the same boat here. As I understand it DirectTV content is encripted, but by using a device like the HD PVR 2 (http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr2.html) and the Component outputs on my DirectTV I should be able to transfer the programming with some loss of quality but still in High Def.
I have been reluctant to pull the trigger because I am sure once I do, I will then fnd a device that would allow me to tranfer with no loss thought the HDMI port.
So, does such a device exist or should I go ahaed and get the JD PVR 2?

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
As long as what you have is encrypted, you will probably have to use something to remove the encryption. I would say jump at this as it has the latest HDMI input and output. Therefore the only real loss should be the encryption. Read this too.

http://hometheater.about.com/od/dvdreco ... gfaq14.htm

Remember that the As I Typed in here, program will probably not be in HD format unless you get the Hd DVD recorder that is no longer being built. I was thinking just the Regular DVD. I was reading several months ago that the Blu Ray players were encorporating recordability but that market was not in store for our market due to the copywrite protections we have in the USA. As far as HDMI...it is just a pass thru with just decripting it in my opinion. I did not see anything out there besides that in my search just now. MY OPINION, I would go for it and see if it works. I think it will tho.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
You should be able to hook up a dvd recorder or capture device to the composite plugs on the back. Any box will playback over those outputs.

I am already doing it and did it for the 2005 NFCC too. Was able to rip it to MP4 after that.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Also since they are replaying the game tonight on NFLN and if you have it, Record it then....again. Just a thought.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Loaf, do they have to be an output device connector on the back? I have seen some tvs like that (and have one in the back room). I have seen HDMI output on the tv.

taz291819

Reaction score
Not all channels on Directv have HDCP (encryption) enabled, and Fox is not one of them. So, HDMI out is fine. Regardless, even if it was encrypted, component out would still work.

Blackmagic Design makes great HDMI capture equipment. Be sure to have a LOT of hard drive space available though.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys!

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
taz291819":28dpvfk7 said:
Not all channels on Directv have HDCP (encryption) enabled, and Fox is not one of them. So, HDMI out is fine. Regardless, even if it was encrypted, component out would still work.

Blackmagic Design makes great HDMI capture equipment. Be sure to have a LOT of hard drive space available though.

Thank you Taz. I was not sure if it was encrypted as I am an over the air guy. I do have some basic understanding of digital. What you said will make what I put up work just fine.
Thanks again.

:D