Why is this SB fever so much higher than the last one?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • I mean I don't recall January 2006 being nearly as crazy around here, not just with the 12s aspect which is off the charts now, but just overall regional enthusiasm. Is it just my aging memory? This place is for more nuts this time!

I love it!!!
    ImageImageImage

"You kept believing, you kept fighting, you kept clawing and scratching
    and look what you freakin' did. Put that freakin' trophy up again!" - Pete Carroll
    tom sawyer
    NET Veteran

• Probably because we have a much better team this year. And have a lot more interesting personalities on this team, which leads to more national attention.
    Erebus
    NET Veteran

• Russell Wilson.
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    U MAD BRAH?
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

• Because Seattle's defense can make its case for best in NFL history.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• Social media...team identity. Beast Mode. RW. Personalities. LOB.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

• I don't know where you got that idea, it was crazy for that Super Bowl. I think the technology now shows more of the craziness real time than in 2006.
    kjreid
    NET Starter

• Social media
    What's Next? What's Next? What's N-X-E-T...?"
    hgwellz12
    NET Veteran

• We don't have ugly informs this time.
    "Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force."

- Barbie from Toy Story 3
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

• Personalities on both sides.

The new perfect offense vs the old school perfect defense.

A humble, awe-shucks legendary QB vs the brash, loud mouthed youngster at CB.
    Last edited by Hawk Strap on Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
    "it'd be a newborn deer" - pehawk
    Hawk Strap
    * Handsome *

• Russell Wilson to me is the main reason. His personality, story, character, class...He has it all and it's extremely difficult (unless your a hater) not to be moved and inspired by him. Add to that the great characters/personalities on our team and the great job the local media and even national media at times has done of allowing you to get to know the players behind the facemasks and you get that same successful marketing that the M's enjoyed ("You Gotta Love These Guys!") coming off the success of the 1995 magical season that captured the hearts of the city and beyond.

Social media is also a HUGE difference as well. The reach is global and instant.

Les "The Radish" Norton - Ambassador/Grandfather of .NET, gone too soon but will never be forgotten. RIP
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Because we didn't expect the Seahawks to actually make the Super Bowl in 2005. We were shocked. We expected this team to make it back before the season began.

.....................................................................................-Webzone Niner fan GhostOfJimmyDean
    Trenchbroom
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• The Pete Carroll bandwagon has carried a lot of folks.
    "So between my friends and I we have been at every home game to date this year, and we have all been plotting the offensive plays called. " ------Anthony!
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

• One thing I notice is in the year prior to our last 13-3 season SB appearance we were 9-7, pretty uninspiring lead in to 2005.

This time our lead in was an 11-5 bang bang finish and a super overdrive approach to this season.

The amperage alone is a day and night comparison!
    ImageImageImage

"You kept believing, you kept fighting, you kept clawing and scratching
    and look what you freakin' did. Put that freakin' trophy up again!" - Pete Carroll
    tom sawyer
    NET Veteran

• I don't recall it being any less crazier than now. It was our first time, we had Alexander, Hass, Walter and Hutch. Everyone was pretty jacked up. I think what happened with the refs diminished people's memories of how excited they were back then.
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran

• Sherman and the near end to peytons "glorious" career...
    dutchman063
    NET Practice Squad

• Crizilla wrote:Russell Wilson.

The focal point of our offense is Marshawn Lynch

Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas, Kam Chancellor, Michael Bennet, like to say high

It is not all about the QB
    warden
    NET Veteran

• I think it's because we're in the 2nd year of being one of the NFL's truly elite teams... and we're so young and fast... and just plain fun to watch, especially the defense.

Back in '05, we had one year of being at or near the top of the NFL... and then it was back to mediocrity or worse.
    Last edited by onanygivensunday on Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
    EastCoastHawksFan posted... "Trading for Harvin is by far the worst move John S has ever made." (March 18, 2014)

your World Champion Seattle Seahawks.. how sweet is that!!
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

• Crizilla wrote:Russell Wilson.

This.......

Sarlacc83 wrote:Because Seattle's defense can make its case for best in NFL history.

and this.....

tom sawyer wrote:One thing I notice is in the year prior to our last 13-3 season SB appearance we were 9-7, pretty uninspiring lead in to 2005.

This time our lead in was an 11-5 bang bang finish and a super overdrive approach to this season.

The amperage alone is a day and night comparison!

and this.....

Trenchbroom wrote:Because we didn't expect the Seahawks to actually make the Super Bowl in 2005. We were shocked. We expected this team to make it back before the season began.

and this IMO. I think you guys have all hit on reasons why.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

• I'd say it's the HUNGER factor.
    "05" was the appetizer this year is the main course.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

• We overachieved so hard in 2005. A decade of .500-ish seasons and then bam...#1 seed, sneaking by the Skins and crushing a beat-up Panthers team. Alexander got yards but didn't get them with the panache that Lynch does. Hasselbeck was always on the cusp between decent and great (no thanks to We Want The Ball And We're Gonna Score!) Our WR's were fairly nameless and you never knew if they were going to drop a catch or barely hang onto it. The defense had talent but was streaky and didn't have any solid names other than Tatupu. We won too many games on the leg of Josh Brown. No one really felt threatened by Seattle. Everyone thought "That's so cute they finally made it to the SB."

This Carroll-era team was built to be physical, win or lose. They'll not only make you earn a win, but take away the joy in doing it by beating you up. It has destroyed the hopes and dreams of other fan bases and it's not only hated for that, but because of its attitude and success in general. In the blink of an eye, Seattle went from a team of "Where the hell is Seattle? Who are those guys?" to "God I hate that team and its fans."

"The world is against us. It wouldn't be fair otherwise."
    http://i.imgur.com/OKucYeb.jpg
    253hawk
    NET Veteran

• I don't remember us ever really dominating in 05, we won a few games on last second FGs, and never really beat a dominant opponent.

this year we have faced and beaten the best. Now i feel we can beat anyone
    themunn
    NET Veteran

• All of the above, plus we have seen this team assembled from scratch. Our entire roster is made of "our guys" (21 of 53 were undrafted), and even the newest FA's (like Bennett and Avril) have the feel of being long-time Seahawks. The Dynasty's origins have been built before our eyes, and it has no discernible weaknesses.
    HawkAroundTheClock
    NET Veteran

• These are the Hawks we've always wanted, and not surprised by.
    Oh DonkoSpurt We Hardly Knew Ye!
    samwize77
    NET Veteran

• The Personalities, the building of the squad from meager beginnings, the personal stories. There is a veritable smorgasbord of human interest stories to this team. From Michael Robinson's return from Illness, to Chris Clemons return from injury, the suspensions, The QB no one wanted, the hearing impaired Running back, the cornerback from Compton who set the world afire with his words, to the running back from Oakland who did the same with his silence. There is so much to love about this team. I can honestly say that I have never felt so connected to a team on a personal level as I do with this one.

Go Hawks!

Oh and I deeply want to shatter John Elway's dreams!
    #NEXTMANUP
    Evil_Shenanigans
    NET Veteran

• Evil_Shenanigans wrote:The Personalities, the building of the squad from meager beginnings, the personal stories. There is a veritable smorgasbord of human interest stories to this team. From Michael Robinson's return from Illness, to Chris Clemons return from injury, the suspensions, The QB no one wanted, the hearing impaired Running back, the cornerback from Compton who set the world afire with his words, to the running back from Oakland who did the same with his silence. There is so much to love about this team. I can honestly say that I have never felt so connected to a team on a personal level as I do with this one.

Go Hawks!

Oh and I deeply want to shatter John Elway's dreams!

I've noticed the same thing. It's much more crazy this year. 12 signs and go hawk signs are everywhere. Even the homeless guy has his change bucket wrapped in an "I'm In" poster. My favorite was a binary sign in a downtown Bellevue office window, "0 0 1 1 0 0 0 0th Man". And for all the reasons you've mentioned above this team has more cross over appeal to the casual and non fan than the 06 team. Loving it!

Go Hawks!
    StoneCold
    NET Rookie

• I think the answer is simple. It is just too hard to get there.

I think I speak for several people when I say I thought we would make it back the very next year after the 2005 season.

8 years later and a regime change and rebuild later, here we are.

R.I.P. Brother Les, I'll always know you as Pithy Radish.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• I agree with Largent.

I think in 05 we took it for granted. We had a great team and we expected to be back in 06 and 07.

We now know just how hard it is to get to the Super Bowl, even with a great team. Just because you are in a Championship window does not mean you can make it to the end every year.

We aren't taking it for granted this time.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

• I say social media and the 12 phenomenon. It's easy for fans to latch onto the 12th man idea. It's a comradarie thing. Your rooting on a team but a part of something
    muxpux
    NET Veteran

• Its gotta be because of Pete Carroll, he brings out the best in anyone and everyone and that includes the 12s.
    ndnchapathi69
    NET Bench Warmer

• I think people hit on a few reasons why. I would like to add my own reason: We had the Sonics in '05/'06 and we don't have them now. That loss - really, all of 2008, which was just MISERABLE for Seattle (Sonics were stolen, UW football went 0-12, Ms lost 100 games with a $100M payroll, Seahawks went 4-12) - seemed to make this city more aware of how starved it is for some sports success.

A win tomorrow wouldn't make up completely for 2008, but it would be a cooling balm that heals a lot of old Seattle sports wounds.
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

--Internet tough guy HawkWow being a MAN on the internet
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

• We were good enough in 2005 and overpowered people with our running game. We weren't deep enough on the defensive side of the ball; our 2005 D overachieved, held together by chewing gum and baling twine and the fact that that amazing 2005 offense kept them from being under pressure a lot of the time.

The team personalities and team media relations in 2005 didn't grab the national media by the balls and have their way with them the way this team has.

Wilson & Sherman have forced their way onto the national media map, and love or hate is irrelevant, as long as there's attention and plenty of it. Skip Bayless, Trent Dilfer, Marshall Faulk, Kurt Warner, whether they're dissing the Seahawks or praising them is irrelevant, as long as they are talking about us.

The fan energy is off the charts, even more so than 2005. I never saw the level of total regional fanbase involvement in 2005 that I'm seeing this year. It's just unbelievable. Tons of people at my work who didn't care one way or the other 2 years ago came in this Friday with Seahawks gear, faces painted, tailgate parties, etc. Ask them to name more than 3 offensive linemen and you'd probably get a blank stare and maybe one or two names, but boy are they passionate fans. People are looking for *something* to identify with and celebrate. I won a lot of bets with coworkers by taking the Seahawks last year (especially on GB, Patriots, 49ers games) but nobody will bet against them this year.

I'll have to try the more-than-3-offensive linemen quiz and see what the results are. I figure Okung, Giacomini, and Unger get a certain amount of attention, but to name Bowie, Bailey, McQuistan, JeanPierre, and Carpenter, someone would need to be more than a this-year's bandwagon-jumper. Not dissing bandwagon jumpers, by the way; the more the merrier.

This time, all the pieces are in place, on the field, and off the field, to seal the deal. I have a really good feeling about how things will turn out.
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:02 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information