Article: Seattle's Schneider a favorite in Green Bay

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • I really hope John likes us too much to leave...

Schneider’s parents still live in Green Bay. As do some of his best friends, including the one who convinced him to make that call to Wolf. All of them will be at MetLife Stadium for Sunday's game.

There are plenty of people who wonder whether Schneider will be the Packers' next general manager. Thompson turned 61 on Jan. 17 and some within the organization believe he may walk away after his contract expires following the 2015 season.

http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packe ... -green-bay
    Marvin49 wrote:Ok. I have to admit. That's messed up.

You win.
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

• That would suck. I really hope he stays in Seattle and wins a few superbowls
    WilsonMVP
    NET Veteran

• I know....you just can't hold it in any longer!
    Bigpumpkin
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• One thing's for sure: Paul Allen has $50,000 cash in his wallet, and he will pay whatever it takes to keep John Schneider here in Seattle.
    nategreat
    NET Veteran

• Yea no doubt they will come after him hard at some point. Luckily we have the richest owner in the NFL and a pretty awesome set up for a GM.
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

• This is johns baby.......no way he would just leave it. Especially when it's just getting going.
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

• Nobody who spends time around Green Bay wants to actually live there. I'm not even worried.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• RolandDeschain wrote:Nobody who spends time around Green Bay wants to actually live there. I'm not even worried.

I can get behind this. I'm from Yakima...

(sorry if you live in Yakima but I couldn't help it)

You win.
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

• There's no way Schneider leaves. I think Pete Carroll will retire before JS walks to another team.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• I'm not that worried, mostly because our owner has the deepest pockets of anyone in football, he also doesn't have roots in GB, I believe he grew up a NYG fan
    davidonmi
    NET Veteran

• E.C. Laloosh wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:Nobody who spends time around Green Bay wants to actually live there. I'm not even worried.

That's funny since I was born and raised in Yakima too! I left for college in California and never made an effort to move back. Nice to visit for a few days and that's about it for me.

:lol:
    kf3339
    NET Veteran

• I think Schnieder will stay, going home has it's merits but establishing your own legacy can't be matched in the shadow of Thompson and Wolf, getting a few Championships not in Green Bay will cement him and Pete as the real deal and forever remembered for their Seattle accomplishments.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• It also depends on how things progress here. Paul Allen seems to be recovering from his cancer treatments but what if his health fails and some meddling owner takes over? Same with Pete. What if he decides to walk away when his contract is up?

John grew up Packers fan. Maybe he wants to move back to the Midwest? He did extend a couple of years quietly last summer but if the Packers want him bad enough, that could be worked out. I would keep an eye on what Thompson is planning to do in a few years. Getting Schneider would be a helluva move for them. Depends on what Mark Murphy thinks when the time comes.

I don't think Mark was there when John was and I forget where he came from prior to the Packers hiring him to replace their retiring President at the time.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• It all depends on if he thinks he can rebuild another team...
    I mean face it, the Packers gave all the money to Erin, and Clay.
    That team is looking at reloading on the cheap!
    That's what Schneider does, but I still don't think he'll go...
    Much better to build you're own dynasty, than to add to another!
    Wartooth
    NET Veteran

• I guess there's something to be said for Schneider wanting to go back to GB.

But I don't buy it.

1. Russell Wilson.
    2. Russell Wilson.
    3. Russell Wilson.
    4. Allen will outbid them.
    Lady Talon
    NET Veteran

• Wartooth wrote:It all depends on if he thinks he can rebuild another team...
    I mean face it, the Packers gave all the money to Erin, and Clay.
    That team is looking at reloading on the cheap!
    That's what Schneider does, but I still don't think he'll go...
    Much better to build you're own dynasty, than to add to another!

If he does I hope its the Vikings :D
    WilsonMVP
    NET Veteran

• They wont get Schneider but they will probably get some one under Schneider like how the Jets went and got Idzik
    tubbs51
    NET Starter

• chris98251 wrote:I think Schnieder will stay, going home has it's merits but establishing your own legacy can't be matched in the shadow of Thompson and Wolf, getting a few Championships not in Green Bay will cement him and Pete as the real deal and forever remembered for their Seattle accomplishments.

THIS!
    Member of 38 Plus club. Seahawks + PC/JS + Russell Wilson = Superbowl XLVIII +
    rainger
    NET Veteran

Location: Victoria BC or my Galactic Stonghold on Nar Shaddaa

253hawk
    NET Veteran

• Lol...where is that from?
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

• I believe it's in the MetLife locker room, probably while getting dressed for the team picture.
    253hawk
    NET Veteran

• 253hawk wrote:Image

Yeah, I wonder how many GM's have done THAT!

You win.
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

• Thurmond got in on the action, too.

253hawk
    NET Veteran

• Why the hell would anyone leave Seattle for Green Bay?
    Super Bowl Champions

Conference Champions

Division Champions

"Hell no! I wanna go get my rang!"
    Seahawks1983
    NET Starter

• Will be interesting to see what kind of extension Ted Thompson winds up with. If it goes beyond 2016, I think it's safe to say that we have very little to worry about.

http://packerstalk.com/2014/05/04/contr ... n-rodgers/

You win.
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

• Hasselbeck wrote:There's no way Schneider leaves.

I wouldn't say "no way."

Obviously as long as Pete's here, we're winning and Schneider's relationship with Allen stays healthy he will stay. But John is only 42, and Pete's 62, so it's not far fetched to imagine a day when he might want to return to GB or take on a new professional challenge elsewhere once Pete retires..........or for some reason their relationship sours.

Could be 5 years from now, 10, 15, who knows.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

• Honestly can't think of one reason someone would want to live in GB Wisconsin over Seattle WA.

Sure GB is a nice tradition, but Seattle is the model franchise in football. Richest owner in the league, who is COMPLETELY HANDS OFF! allows you to do what you need. Also allows you to call the bat phone whenever you want if you need anything else.
    gowazzu02
    NET Rookie

• gowazzu02 wrote:Honestly can't think of one reason someone would want to live in GB Wisconsin over Seattle WA

- money
    - opportunity
    - working conditions
    - home town/family
    - better run organization
    - power/decision making freedom

Obviously if all things are equal with what I listed, Seattle is a better place. But for athletes, coaches and GM's what a city has to offer isn't as high on the list as other important factors.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

• John would live in Green Bay because he'd practically be a god to the Packers fanbase.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• Schneider is under contract through 2016 season and we have the richest owner in sports. Not giving this a 2nd thought for a few years.
    Give me some damn skittles...
    Basis4day
    NET Veteran

• I think any team looking for a GM would put JS as a favorite. A complete moot point if join does not want to leave Seattle.
    warden
    NET Veteran

• All this talk about money..... If JS leaves or stays it won't be about money. Either franchise will give him all the money he needs or probably wants.

I think he stays here as long as Pete stays and Pete isn't really that old yet. I doubt he's ready to retire and go grow pumpkins with our Big Pumpkin just yet.

:les:
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    gowazzu02 wrote:Honestly can't think of one reason someone would want to live in GB Wisconsin over Seattle WA

- money
    - opportunity
    - working conditions
    - home town/family
    - better run organization
    - power/decision making freedom

Obviously if all things are equal with what I listed, Seattle is a better place. But for athletes, coaches and GM's what a city has to offer isn't as high on the list as other important factors.

I think you misunderstood my point, or maybe I didn't make it properly. None of those bullets favor GB over Seattle.
    gowazzu02
    NET Rookie

• The Radish wrote:All this talk about money..... If JS leaves or stays it won't be about money. Either franchise will give him all the money he needs or probably wants.

I think he stays here as long as Pete stays and Pete isn't really that old yet. I doubt he's ready to retire and go grow pumpkins with our Big Pumpkin just yet.

Sorry dude, but that's false. Schneider already talked about money as a motivator, not saying he works entirely for money, but did say the size of Allen's offer played a large role in his decision to come to Seattle. As well as the quality of medical care for his son.

John Schneider has a son with autism. He and his wife have put a significant amount of money into Ben's Fund, as well as the cost of taking care of a child with autism.

John Schneider has talked publicly about this issue, as well as at an event for Ben's Fund which I attended. JS and his wife live a simple lifestyle, they are not extravagant. But they spend a great deal of money on their son's care and every million counts in that battle. If another team in a market with high quality medical care was to offer him an extra million per year, you can bet he will go.
    HansGruber
    NET Veteran

• How is the fact that John was born in WIsconsin and grew up a Packers fan not have an impact on his decision to take the GM job there if offered? The whole "Green Bay has nothing on Seattle" line is folly. Allen may not meddle much in the NFL business but he has churned his NBA GMs.

I am just thankful that John is here and helping to put together a solid franchise after years of turmoil. I know things don't last forever and I am not kidding myself into thinking he is here long term no matter what.

Does seem as though Thompson is going to be around a little longer than speculated. He still could retire after 2016, which would be when John's contract here ends.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• Arrrrgggghhh....Stay away from out GM you cheese balls.
    Hey Cardinals..........The FUN is OVER !!!
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Laloosh wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:Nobody who spends time around Green Bay wants to actually live there. I'm not even worried.

But but but Yakima has Minors....Home of the Minor burger. Largest burger around. Had one of them back in my high school days playing tennis. Oh so many years ago.....but saw it was still there last year on the way to Seattle to play golf with my brother. Back to the Green Bay thingy...a friend of mine lives here and is from Michigan....only goes back for visits.

:thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers:
    Cats will rule the world...just ask my cat.
    Gollum had a ring...Bilbo took it...Frodo had it...Gollum got it back.
    Gollum never had OUR ring.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• Seahawkfan80 wrote:
    Laloosh wrote:

But but but Yakima has Minors....Home of the Minor burger. Largest burger around. Had one of them back in my high school days playing tennis. Oh so many years ago.....but saw it was still there last year on the way to Seattle to play golf with my brother. Back to the Green Bay thingy...a friend of mine lives here and is from Michigan....only goes back for visits.

:thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers:

Yep, one of the main reasons for me to go back to Yakima to visit is to go to Minors for a double cheeseburger.

They're huge!
    kf3339
    NET Veteran

• Man, I do not want to lose John!
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• gowazzu02 wrote:Honestly can't think of one reason someone would want to live in GB Wisconsin over Seattle WA.

There isn't one, unless one throws out logic and common sense entirely.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Cheese curds, duh!

You win.
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

• Lady Talon wrote:I guess there's something to be said for Schneider wanting to go back to GB.

But I don't buy it.

1. Russell Wilson.
    2. Russell Wilson.
    3. Russell Wilson.

LOL at Wilson being the reason Schneider wanting to never leave Seattle.

Only now at the chump change he makes is a Wilson led team a building block that's hard to resist.

Once his services are no longer free (like Kaepernick, Griffin, Newton etc), we will finally know his true worth.
    NINEster
    NET Starter

• RolandDeschain wrote:
    gowazzu02 wrote:Honestly can't think of one reason someone would want to live in GB Wisconsin over Seattle WA.

There isn't one, unless one throws out logic and common sense entirely.

We are looking at it through big city lens.

Native Wisconsin people are very passionate about their state. They would lump Seattle, SF, LA, NYC, CHI, MIA, etc as cities they wouldn't want to live over Wisconsin.
    NINEster
    NET Starter

• NINEster wrote:
    Lady Talon wrote:I guess there's something to be said for Schneider wanting to go back to GB.

But I don't buy it.

1. Russell Wilson.
    2. Russell Wilson.
    3. Russell Wilson.

Only now at the chump change he makes is a Wilson led team a building block that's hard to resist.

Once his services are no longer free (like Kaepernick, Griffin, Newton etc), we will finally know his true worth.

The always present backhanded Niner troll. What will you do when...(followed by some refrain about highly priced retention of players)
    Seattle is well under the cap right damn now. Ninersnation did a metrics breakdown of drafting success, skewed the numbers to make Baalke look good, and guess who STILL ended up the better draft guru? Tops in the league, Schneider. He started with a less than great cap and expensive QB his first year in Seattle, what did he do? Proceed to murder the draft and build the base.

So funny and predictable, Niner fans. Dude has been killing it finding late round talent, pro bowlers, playmakers enough to turn one of the least talented rosters in the league into the best and deepest, and you want to hinge his true value on ability to jump through your hoops. What a crock of shit.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• The Radish wrote:All this talk about money..... If JS leaves or stays it won't be about money. Either franchise will give him all the money he needs or probably wants.

Unless Baalke leaves and he gets the opportunity to work with Harbaugh :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :sarcasm_off:
    "I cannot believe this............ I am stunned right now. This is now a rebuilding year for us. Our offense is crap now"

Blitzer88 regarding trading Percy to the Jets
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

• Scottemojo wrote:
    NINEster wrote:
    Lady Talon wrote:I guess there's something to be said for Schneider wanting to go back to GB.

But I don't buy it.

1. Russell Wilson.
    2. Russell Wilson.
    3. Russell Wilson.

The always present backhanded Niner troll. What will you do when...(followed by some refrain about highly priced retention of players)
    Seattle is well under the cap right damn now. Ninersnation did a metrics breakdown of drafting success, skewed the numbers to make Baalke look good, and guess who STILL ended up the better draft guru? Tops in the league, Schneider. He started with a less than great cap and expensive QB his first year in Seattle, what did he do? Proceed to murder the draft and build the base.

So funny and predictable, Niner fans. Dude has been killing it finding late round talent, pro bowlers, playmakers enough to turn one of the least talented rosters in the league into the best and deepest, and you want to hinge his true value on ability to jump through your hoops. What a crock of shit.

I didn't express my point properly.

It wasn't a jab at Schneider or the Seahawks roster, but WILSON.

No GM should ever prefer to be on a team primarily built around a QB, but if they absolutely had to I'd go with Rodgers, maybe Brady. Even that is pushing it.

Rodgers in the 2010 playoffs was a real beast of a QB. I haven't seen a QB dominate the post season game since then, and not many have done it to that level going back the last 10 years before that. Every time we play the Packers, I feel really good about our roster advantages but am always wearing of #12. Wilson does not inspire anywhere near that fear on his own.

BTW, in respect to Baalke/Schneider....it's hard to really rate GMs. I feel Schneider working in tandem with Carroll is a little stronger than Baalke/Harbaugh because of the synergy of getting what Carroll wants in his unique systems. Those all pro 5th rounders/UFAs/Canadian guys work because of the coach and his system, not because one GM has infinitely better drafting skill than the 31 other guys.
    NINEster
    NET Starter

• Maybe Niner fans should worry about their own self-centered Bicep kissing choke artist of a QB.
    The Jealousy of Santa Clara fans is awesome.
    60 percent of the time..........it works........every time
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• Scottemojo wrote:
    NINEster wrote:

But I don't buy it.

1. Russell Wilson.
    2. Russell Wilson.
    3. Russell Wilson.

Amen.
    brettb3
    NET Rookie

Next

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:54 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information