Manning’s Hard Count!

Hawksbrew

Reaction score
So we all know about Omaha and the hard count, but what makes Manning’s hard count so effective is the discipline of the offensive line. When the hard count pulls the defense into the neutral zone Denver’s offensive linemen quickly reach out and touch the player who jumped prior to the ball being snapped. It’s just automatic for them and they pick up the 5 yard penalty every time. I noticed this in the Divisional Broncos/Chargers game and it was like clockwork. The Pats did a great job in the conference game not biting on the hard count, but it does put the defense a little on their heels.

Something the Hawks need to watch for!

MesquiteHawk

Reaction score
I am thinking that they noticed. If they didn't, they don't deserve to be in the SB.

Penman96

Reaction score
Has Manning caused that many defensive offsides penalties this year? I can't really find a lot of information opn that... I think it's kind of known league wide that Manning is at the line of scrimmage just calling a bunch of crap, it's more psychological than practical.

sutz

Reaction score
Hey, Russ did a pretty good job on that TD play against the Niners. ;)

As for Manning, our D doesn't do a lot of special adjustments and crap play to play. They line up and play football. I suspect whatever Peyton does/says at the line will have little impact on anything. Props to Peyton, but it's not like we haven't played a few good QBs this season and last.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Yeah, our D-line has to be very disciplined this game. We have a tendency to jump and we cannot do that this time around.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Hawksbrew":2n8dgcx0 said:
So we all know about Omaha and the hard count, but what makes Manning’s hard count so effective is the discipline of the offensive line. When the hard count pulls the defense into the neutral zone Denver’s offensive linemen quickly reach out and touch the player who jumped prior to the ball being snapped. It’s just automatic for them and they pick up the 5 yard penalty every time. I noticed this in the Divisional Broncos/Chargers game and it was like clockwork. The Pats did a great job in the conference game not biting on the hard count, but it does put the defense a little on their heels.

Something the Hawks need to watch for!

Manning's hard count is more about trying to get an idea what the defense is doing. Offsides is just a bonus that he gets from time to time. What he wants with it, is he watches the defensive players on that hard count and if he can catch them start to go a certain direction then he can read those players and figure out what the defense is going to do to try to defend him. Knowing this allows him to check into the best play for the situation. One reason that won't work as much on us is that we don't really disguise our defenses. We put our guys out there and defy the other team to beat them.

Nearpost

Reaction score
Is the solution to stay laser focused on the ball, and explode when it moves? Almost stop listening coz you are staring so hard at the ball?