Doesn't Earl Thomas remind you of Polamalu?

blazen2392

Reaction score
Polamalu is the greatest saftey i have ever seen play in my lifetime (I know i'm young). He had the body of a linebacker, speed of a cornerback, and ball skills of a receiver. One of the most consistent tackling safeties to play the game tbh. I think earl is almost at that level. they way he plays reminds me so much of polamalu. Not as aggresive and as consistent of a tackler as polamalu but he has the same ball skills and is a hawk to the football like polamalu was. I don't think anyone saftey could ever match polamalu's instinct but i would say ET3 is as good as it gets. my question is, do you think earl can take that mantle and be that franchise player that is feared and respected around the league for years?

MesquiteHawk

Reaction score
In my opinion, both Kenny Easly and Ronnie Lott were better than Polamalu. Your guy would be third on the list, but that is a pretty good list to be third on. ET has a chance to be on the list, but he plays the game differently than those other guys do. He will never hit like they did, and even if he could, the rules no longer allow it.

What he will do, is be one of the fastest guys out there, and that will allow the entire defense to play differently and be more effective. Will that make him one of the greats? Only time will tell.

dopeboy206

Reaction score
Polamalu is a better tackler in my opinion and better off the blitz but ET is better in coverage.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
No. They have different styles. Palu is bigger and totally freelances. Earl is faster and quicker which allows him to stay in scheme far longer. Apples and Oranges sir. Apples and Oranges.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Chancellor is more along the lines of Polamalu. ET reminds me more of Darrell Green if Green had played Safety instead of CB.

themunn

Reaction score
Earl is basically Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu combined. He's probably not quite the ball hawk that Reed was, or the tackler that Polamalu is/was, but he's better at tackling than Reed and better in coverage than Polamalu. A hybrid. That said, he's still only 24! He has the opportunity to surpass both.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
No. Troy played (assuming he's giving up finally) for a shit team. Earl plays for a great team.

Vetamur

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":38wp826m said:
Chancellor is more along the lines of Polamalu. ET reminds me more of Darrell Green if Green had played Safety instead of CB.
I agree with half of this.. if we are comparing.. Chancellor is more of the Polamalu..

Our safeties are sort of like if you took some of the great safeties..split them in half and made two safeties.

Kenny Easley..cut him in half..take the pure hitter, the guy up at the line changing things, the intimidator.. and thats Kam.

Then take the other Easley..the one with unbelievable range..the one you know you could put at CB if you needed to.. the guy playing center field and you know will get to where he needs to.. Thats ET.

and that also shows you just how amazing Lott and Easley are..because ET is the best safety in the game today for my money (there are certainly others in the conversation!).. but he cant do all the things those two could do.

themunn

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":5g5a89au said:
No. Troy played (assuming he's giving up finally) for a shit team. Earl plays for a great team.

i hate the Steelers as much as the next guy, but they were consistently the best (or if not, top 3) defense in the NFL from about 04/05 until we came along. I mean, they might have fluked XL, but you don't fluke 3 Superbowl appearances in 6 years.

sc85sis

Reaction score
From everything I've ever heard or read about Troy in USC circles, he's an animal on the field and a total sweetheart off of it. I think both Earl and Kam are like that too.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
We don't know how good our guys might have been.

The NFL has almost neutered the safety and linebacker positions with the new rules.

So our secondary is almost playing with one hand behind their back, or at least with rules that being the equivalent of tying lead weights to the players.

I am betting the Chancellor being able to peel across the middle and put his helmet into the ribs of an outstretched receiver would have the same effect if not more significant vs some of the greats mentioned.

It simply isn't fair to compare because all the others played at a time the safeties were allowed to hit without worry about roughness or illegal contact or concussion penalties. Our guys have to take a split second to think about where they can hit and whether they have to peel off.

Seafan

Reaction score
ET is a faster version of Bob Sanders. Kenny Easley could have been a phenomenal free safety but Patera played him at SS. His kidney problems cut short a possible HOF career.

ET has a chance for a HOF career. He truly is the MVP of the Hawk defense.

plyka

Reaction score
blazen2392":2m0j9l78 said:
Polamalu is the greatest saftey i have ever seen play in my lifetime (I know i'm young). He had the body of a linebacker, speed of a cornerback, and ball skills of a receiver. One of the most consistent tackling safeties to play the game tbh. I think earl is almost at that level. they way he plays reminds me so much of polamalu. Not as aggresive and as consistent of a tackler as polamalu but he has the same ball skills and is a hawk to the football like polamalu was. I don't think anyone saftey could ever match polamalu's instinct but i would say ET3 is as good as it gets. my question is, do you think earl can take that mantle and be that franchise player that is feared and respected around the league for years?

I've been saying this for over a year. I agree 100%! Polamalu is probably the reason Carroll drafted earl. Remember he went to USC.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Troy had the body of a LB? I guess a HS LB, but not a college or pro, not at 5'9 205.

Latest posts