Harvin

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
So Harvin is expected to play 100%. I noticed vs NO, he was not in on the early downs a few times. Is that normal? I would think he would be one of our 2 base WR in any formation.

ensett

Reaction score
Hard to tell whats normal because we haven't had him

formido

Reaction score
This happened in the Vikings game, too. It may be a matter of conditioning; or a matter of respecting other players' contributions; or perhaps keeping him fresher for higher leverage situations; or reducing injury risk by keeping his work load low; or signaling to Percy and the team that we don't depend on any particular player.

I'm curious about this, also.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
They keep saying they aren't changing the offense for him but we haven't seen him full go for a whole game so who knows? On the otherhand Denver is preparing for him to be in every down as appropriate much good it will do them.

MesquiteHawk

Reaction score
If he lines up, that is good enough for me. If he is on the kick return team, it is good enough for me.

sutz

Reaction score
The whole concept of who is a starter and who isn't is kind of dead, anyway. I've seen numerous times where a 'starting lineup' is announced, but the guys that actually take the field for the first series are quite a bit different. This especially applies to positions on the periphery like WRs and DBs. They announce 2, but often start the game with either 1 or 3. They announce 2 CBs, but start off in nickel coverage. Hey it wouldn't surprise me if they start the D off with a Bandit package out there, in a 4-2-5 or something.

:229031_shrug:

themunn

Reaction score
sutz":2bwjla7r said:
The whole concept of who is a starter and who isn't is kind of dead, anyway. I've seen numerous times where a 'starting lineup' is announced, but the guys that actually take the field for the first series are quite a bit different. This especially applies to positions on the periphery like WRs and DBs. They announce 2, but often start the game with either 1 or 3. They announce 2 CBs, but start off in nickel coverage. Hey it wouldn't surprise me if they start the D off with a Bandit package out there, in a 4-2-5 or something.

:229031_shrug:

Exactly. The "starting lineup" should just be the 11 players who play in the positions that would make the "All-Pro team", ie.

QB, RB, FB, 2*WR, TE, LT/RT, C, LG/RG
and
front 7, 2 corners, 2 safeties
I say front 7 because teams so obviously have either a base 4-3 or base 3-4, so some flexibility there. It doesn't matter if the FB doesn't play their first snap, or only plays 5 snaps all game, if he's the #1 FB on the depth chart, he's the starter.
Simple.

AF_Hawk

Reaction score
I realize this was two years ago, but the last game he played against Denver was in 2011. His line was 8 rec. 156yds 2TD 5 rushes 19 yds. Obviously things have changed for Percy and Denver's defense but that's a line I'd like to mimic.

HawkGA

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":d8rqucmi said:
So Harvin is expected to play 100%. I noticed vs NO, he was not in on the early downs a few times. Is that normal? I would think he would be one of our 2 base WR in any formation.

Thou shall not use the word "normal" when discussing the Percy Harvin situation.

mjwhitay

Reaction score
He plays. He plays a lot. He busts at least one big return, has 10-12 touches, he's a factor and one of the guys mentioned for MVP. That's what he does Sunday. Worth every penny and it starts in 3 days.