On The Lynch Fiasco

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
On The Lynch Fiasco
Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:19 pm
  • First off, I am adding the word "Boss" to my everyday vernacular.

I know we are discussing this Ad Nauseum, but I felt compelled to say something that may deserve its own thread. Now I don't know this for absolute sure, none of us do, but if I were a betting man, I would say that Lynch suffers from a form of generalized anxiety. The reason I say that is because I have lived with anxiety since I was a teenager. My specific phobia is speaking in public. Or more specifically, having to address a group of people whether it is on the job, or speaking in front of a crowd for any reason. One thing I have heard over and over is, "How can you be a lead singer in a rock band yet have a fear of public speaking?"

It's a valid question but one I always had an answer to. On stage, with the power of my music and vocals, that was MY comfort zone. I could address the crowd in MY comfort zone. Remove me from that comfort zone (for instance, having to give a speech to a crowd with no music, or not being able to sing) and it would be debilitating on a level only those with the same anxiety could understand. Lynch's comfort zone, or stage, is obviously the football field.

I do understand I have no way to know for sure if that has anything to do with Lynch's aversion to the media but I have been studying his body language very closely this week and I would bet money it is part of it. I have nothing but compassion and empathy for anyone that suffers from social anxiety, in any of its manifestations and levels. I've lived with this for over half of my life and in the moments it has become a problem, it's horrific.

While I do appreciate the NFL's position to a degree (If they allow exceptions, what would stop any and all players from choosing not to speak to the media?), there should be exceptions, especially if we are talking about someone like Lynch who has made it painfully clear just how much he doesn't want to speak to the media.

Clayton and company? You can kiss my hairy ass. I hope to God Lynch goes BEAST MODE ALL DAY LONG SUNDAY!

Lynch, we love ya, Boss!

Les "The Radish" Norton - Ambassador/Grandfather of .NET, gone too soon but will never be forgotten. RIP
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Re: On The Lynch Fiasco
Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:27 pm
  • My most fervent wish.

Seattle wins. Lynch is so dominant that even the media pukes who hate him have no choice but to vote for him. He steps to the mike, grabs his junk, and says" Disneyland sucks".
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:29 pm
  • Good post and insight Aros!

On another note...............

You can kiss my hairy ass.

I guess all is not lost, glad you still have your hair :)........................................somewhere.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:30 pm
  • Could Lynch sue the NFL for forcing him to speak against his will?
    mackfan38
    NET Bench Warmer

Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:30 pm
  • I just think it is sad that someone who doesn't want to talk to the media is forced to.

We hype all day long about freedom of speech and how people have the right to say what they want...but what about the people who DON'T want to say anything. They get fined? They aren't allowed to be quiet?

I just think it is a shame the media is trying to make Lynch out to be the "bad guy" because he doesn't want to use his right to be quiet.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:32 pm
  • well said Boss!
    Conference Championships: NFC: 2005, 2013
    Division Campionships: AFC West: 1988, 1999 NFC West: 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2013
    Superbowl Championships: 2013 XLVIII Final Score: Sea 43 Den 8.. SUCK IT

The Radish
    Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:10 pm: Please don't offend The Fonz like that. :roll:
    :les:
    Exittium
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:33 pm
  • You would think that the Donko's would be telling the media to leave Marshawn alone!
    They're just pissing him off!
    Wartooth
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:33 pm
  • Aros wrote:Clayton and company? You can kiss my hairy ass. I hope to God Lynch goes BEAST MODE ALL DAY LONG SUNDAY!

Lynch, we love ya, Boss!

Couldn't have said it better!

I think I need to shave though.
    LeaveLynchAlone
    NET Bench Warmer

Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:35 pm
  • I agree Aros. I too suffer from social anxiety. Some days are better than others but there's times when I've willingly stayed at home just to avoid being around other people. Forcing myself to go to work on days like that close to impossible and based on Marshawn's body language I would agree that it seems like he might be suffering with something similar, for which I am nothing but empathetic towards. If the media can't understand that, or worse yet, continue to DEMAND their "due" despite such a condition then they're heartless. The man is paid to play football, not to appease the media who hide behind their "bridge to the fans" crutch. While he may be contractually obligated, the NFL should seriously investigate whether forcing somebody to comply to a standard when it is clear they are uncomfortable should continue to be mandated, especially in this new era of player safety. Mental health is just as important as their physical health. I know from experience.
    BC-Hawk
    NET Rookie

• Ricky Williams, the #1 pick for the Saints had this. People called him eccentric, but he did things like doing interviews in front of his locker with his helmet on and stuff like that.

He revealed his problem years later. They gave him a drug for it, but it made him feel doped up and slow, so he resorted to marijuana. It's also why he retired, then decided to come back. The best way for him to deal with an issue that the NFL forced him to deal with (media) was illegal by NFL rules and he was getting punished for it. Then, on top of that, everyone from fans to media ripped him for positive drug tests, calling him a pothead.

Lynch looks like he has a lot of anxiety up there, so I wouldn't doubt if Aros was right. I honestly hope he comes out with it, then does something funny like suing the NFL for screwing with his "handicap".
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

• I hope Lynch goes for 200+ yards, breaking Timmy Smith's SB record and gets the MVP in the process.
    253hawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:40 pm
  • Clayton can kiss off any media cooperation with Hawks players in the future.
    chet380
    NET Practice Squad

Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:41 pm
  • Scottemojo wrote:My most fervent wish.

Seattle wins. Lynch is so dominant that even the media pukes who hate him have no choice but to vote for him. He steps to the mike, grabs his junk, and says" Disneyland sucks".

"I'm going to Oakland!"
    And on behalf of the Roland I would like to inform you that the abbreviation for microphone is 'mic'
    Good day sir.
    |~=[==~||~==]=~|
    ||Tfs LnD ] [ HAWKS||
    RIP BFS. He was kind of a douche, but he was our kind of a douche.
    ClumsyLurk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:44 pm
  • Well said Aros.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:44 pm
  • I was also a performer on stage as a lead singer for years, I also was a DJ in radio broadcasting for a number of years, and I totally understand.... I have always been in prime time when I'm the one in control of the situation, but when I have been on the other side being interviewed I didn't feel comfortable and stage fright set in immediately... Didn't understand it, but when I was being interviewed I was out of my comfort zone and not in my Headline zone... Never felt comfortable and wasn't myself when put in the position of somebody else controlling the moment and asking me questions... When I'm in my zone at the moment, I always thought I could compete with anyone... Still do as long as I can put myself in a certain attitude at the time to deliver what I believe is needed... I'm on the Lynch Bandwagon Boss!!! GO HAWKS!!! :thirishdrinkers:
    Looking For That One Particular Habor....
    Hawkboi
    * Class Act Hawk Fan *

Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:45 pm
  • I'm glad Marshawn knows we have his back too. No Seahawks fan is asking him to change, and I'm glad he's aware of that fact.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:46 pm
  • Yeah, I think Clayton's dusty ass just signed his death certificate.
    PankazzBish.
    What's Next? What's Next? What's N-X-E-T...?"
    hgwellz12
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:48 pm
  • There's no fiasco. This bullshit is, whatever you want to make of it. Another reason for haters to hate. That's all.
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:50 pm
  • chet380 wrote:Clayton can kiss off any media cooperation with Hawks players in the future.

I am not sure I'd go that far, but I think it's very fair to say that the Seahawk players and organization will remember this and will remember who had Lynch's back and who didn't.....and will find ways to make said displeasure known.

Clayton isn't stupid. He has to know this. He's harming his own ability to get inside information (which he depends on) out of a 'stand of principle' and can't see he's on the wrong side of it. I think Clayton is still losing his temper and isn't thinking clearly. If he were, he wouldn't be pushing this.
    Polaris
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:51 pm
  • Based on the comments on the ESPN article about his press conference today, Lynch is getting overwhelming support from fans of all teams (including Broncos and 49ers fans). Former players seem to get it. His coaches and teammates obviously get it. The league even seems to get it (to a degree). Clayton is the one who initially blew this up, and the rest of the NFL writers sensed blood and followed suit. I think those guys have put a black eye on "media day" and how it's perceived by the general public. It has been a terrible week for the image of "journalism."
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:15 pm
  • Would you say when you are on stage you are a different persona?

A lot of actors can easily act but are painfully shy. It's because taking on a different persona no longer personalizes what they are saying or doing.

He just needs to turn up Beast Mode as a persona and leave Sean to his close friends.
    Shock2k
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:19 pm
  • I have the same fear, even at work with more than 5 people, I start getting worked up just thinking I might have to speak. I get so nervous sometimes I want to :pukeface:
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:37 pm
  • What gets me is Lynch didn't really talk for like THREE YEARS. Not a peep. Now that he's forced to talk, he does it on his own terms and NOW certain reporters are all wound up about it. It's just asinine.

Be yourself, 'Shawn. The 12s get it. Because we, too are all about the action.
    * NET Staff *

Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:41 pm
  • He does not. If you watch his few interviews you learn that he has always been this way. He said he was raised this way. He is only about playing the game.

Keep making it a bigger deal than it is.
    DrDix
    NET Rookie

Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:46 pm
  • ivotuk wrote:I have the same fear, even at work with more than 5 people, I start getting worked up just thinking I might have to speak. I get so nervous sometimes I want to :pukeface:

Quit being a puss.
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:53 pm
  • ivotuk wrote:I have the same fear, even at work with more than 5 people, I start getting worked up just thinking I might have to speak. I get so nervous sometimes I want to :pukeface:

Anxiety sucks.

Speaking of 5 people, I had an interview for a new job today, things had gone really well on phone screens.

Finally got the in-person interview. At first I was like, Ok things is going to be ok, it was just me and 2 other people, I'd talked to them before. Cool.

Then the rest of the team came in, 5 people total... sitting across from me... bright conference room. Ugh. Just hell. Got nauseous, so frazzled, bad scene. Bomb, honestly don't know if I made a coherent sentence.

So I get it, one on one or 2 people I'm comfortable, but bigger groups, hello panic attacks!! :? I can't imagine what these NFL players do, so many media people, camera's. I couldn't do it, I'd be worse than Marshawn.
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:56 pm
  • Shock2k wrote:Would you say when you are on stage you are a different persona?

A lot of actors can easily act but are painfully shy. It's because taking on a different persona no longer personalizes what they are saying or doing.

He just needs to turn up Beast Mode as a persona and leave Sean to his close friends.

I wouldn't say I have a different persona per se on stage...To me it's more that I feel empowered by my talent and the music that is pure energy that gives me a remarkable amount of confidence to perform to the best of my ability. The energy transcends me to a place of confidence I would never have, speaking in public without the power of the "stage" and "music" to get me through. I've blown job interviews because of the issue, and I have literally walked out of company meetings pretending to be suddenly ill, simply because I was unable to properly introduce myself to a new group of peers and business associates. I could go on and on.

Watching Lynch this week, I've noticed some of the same body language pick ups that I go through when dealing with a moderate and exponential feeling of anxiety which can often lead to panic attacks which are about the worst thing I have ever experienced in my life.

Les "The Radish" Norton - Ambassador/Grandfather of .NET, gone too soon but will never be forgotten. RIP
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:28 pm
  • Great post Aros. Public speaking is a very common fear and I saw a 2001 gallup poll where it ranked second among things that Americans most feared. I think most people will sympathize with Marshawn on this and it will boost his popularity in the long run.
    RezHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:37 pm
  • This thread is boss, boss.

But on a serious note, the frontal lobe is where anxiety attacks start. I was in a class where this student did his presentation on it. I have them sometime, and they are the absolute worst. You are supposed to go outside for visual stimulation, or concentrate on that part of your brain to calm the attacks down. Just my two cents.
    Last edited by NJSeaHawk on Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    NJSeaHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:37 pm
  • I agree, Todd.

A lot of people are afraid to speak in public, this is common. Anxiety, on the other hand is far different from being afraid. If he does have anxiety, and gets it diagnosed, to force him to do this could mean a serious lawsuit. Even though I am against people with all these silly suits all the time, they would deserve it. Anxiety is serious and people should not be forced into those situations.

All of this for what? Do they really think they will get their "great quote?" Do they really think they will learn something new? The press, for the most part, are a really low class of people.
    OrFan
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:59 pm
  • Aros wrote:
    Shock2k wrote:Would you say when you are on stage you are a different persona?

I wouldn't say I have a different persona per se on stage...To me it's more that I feel empowered by my talent and the music that is pure energy that gives me a remarkable amount of confidence to perform to the best of my ability. The energy transcends me to a place of confidence I would never have, speaking in public without the power of the "stage" and "music" to get me through. I've blown job interviews because of the issue, and I have literally walked out of company meetings pretending to be suddenly ill, simply because I was unable to properly introduce myself to a new group of peers and business associates. I could go on and on.

Watching Lynch this week, I've noticed some of the same body language pick ups that I go through when dealing with a moderate and exponential feeling of anxiety which can often lead to panic attacks which are about the worst thing I have ever experienced in my life.

I understand exactly where you're coming from, as I too have performed live (singer, guitarist/keyboards), and even had an Hour long singing gig on the radio for a couple of Months, but I absolutely hated speaking in front of people beyond announcing the next song.

Hell, my knees still shake when I have to talk to groups.
    Music was and is just another world that I could lose myself in.
    If I were Lynch, I'd take the fifth, it is his Constitutional right.
    I wonder what the NFL would have to say to that.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:10 pm
  • nice thread - boss
    ImageImageImage

"You kept believing, you kept fighting, you kept clawing and scratching
    and look what you freakin' did. Put that freakin' trophy up again!" - Pete Carroll
    tom sawyer
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:12 pm
  • OrFan wrote:I agree, Todd.

A lot of people are afraid to speak in public, this is common. Anxiety, on the other hand is far different from being afraid. If he does have anxiety, and gets it diagnosed, to force him to do this could mean a serious lawsuit. Even though I am against people with all these silly suits all the time, they would deserve it. Anxiety is serious and people should not be forced into those situations.

All of this for what? Do they really think they will get their "great quote?" Do they really think they will learn something new? The press, for the most part, are a really low class of people.

Thank you for bringing that up. Some folks will make the grave error of mistaking a normal "fear" or anxious response to a high pressure situation for someone with actual real anxiety. We all can have fears and phobias (yes, public speaking is a common fear) but a diagnosed case of true anxiety is a whole different ball game.

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:13 pm
  • I'm in board with this thought, Todd. My wife and I had a conversation about his potential anxiety a while back. I have some anxiety as well, and I see some of my own anxious "tells" in some of his mannerisms.
    “We need to be challenged, ... and we need to be under the gun to respond.” --Pete Carroll
    nanomoz
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:20 pm
  • I havent checked out any of the other Lynch threads but when that chick reporter says she can smell his cough drop cuz theyre so close, he dips.
    largenutz
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:31 pm
  • The press is fully responsible for the carnage that beastmode unleashes on the Denver defense! I pity the fools that will attempt to tackle him on Sunday! Beastmode is going to go OFF!
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:39 pm
  • I dearly hope that his reaction is to amp up on the field...
    anxiety is a horrible thing.

Condolences on your hair's fall from your head to your ass, Mr. Breda.
    Mine as well. :177692: Age sucks.
    Under that tan hat is a horribly transitional hairline. :34853_doh:
    "We walked our (pedestrian) ass to the Super Bowl"
    Angry Doug
    "We're looking for grit"
    Pete Carroll
    "We got grit. That's it."
    Earl Thomas.
    Rocket
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:58 pm
  • They set Marshawn up for a whole day. They needed a backup attack if they didn't get anything juicy from Sherm.
    djb28
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:07 pm
  • I was impressed by Michael Robinson for being there
    Heyseed
    NET Starter

Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:11 pm
  • Lynch probably does suffer from some sort of anxiety as others believe. That is why he is not about the media action, boss.
    Zebulon Dak wrote:If any Twitter employees get assassinated I'll vote Republican from here on out.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:41 pm
  • Wife used to sing, hell the Late Great Jim Morrison was scared as hell on stage, why he turned to booze and drugs,

Now you also can take a person that comes out of his shell becasue he or she has control on stage and is the driver and not a passenger. You know what your doing, controlling the tempo and whats going on, you can work the crowd and you don't feel threatened because they want to embrace you. You can make them feel high or low, singers that can work a crowd become demi gods to many fans and followers.

Lynch is not only a passenger in this, he is locked in and can't release the seatbelt till a time clock has been punched. On the field it's him against a defense, his guys have his back. He is in control unless Bevell calls another roll out in the end zone instead of a run to which Beastmode can comminicate with hand signals very well :)

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:54 pm
  • That interview was making my blood boil, watching Lynch starting to get twisted was sickening. Thank god for Mrob bringing some levity to that bullshit.

Take all this bullshit in and unleash the Beast on those Bronchoes!!! BOSS!!
    dradee
    NET Rookie

Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:55 pm
  • I also have diagnosed social anxiety disorder and have been in treatment for about three years, but I have a different take on the Marshawn situation. Here's my story: my situation is based around a permanent speech disorder, so it's not a matter of feeling anxiety when I meet strangers, have to give a presentation, or go on job interviews; I have fairly severe anxiety in any setting when I have to talk to anyone, family and friends included. Every word causes anxiety even though my speech disorder isn't often recognizable to others. In any public situation (e.g. grocery shopping) I have an overwhelming sense that everyone around me is judging me. After any interaction with other people - on the phone, in public, with my family, dating, sending emails, at work etc - I obsessively replay the encounter in my head and fixate on what I perceive to be negative events. These symptoms used to literally occur all day, every day, it was like an infinite loop of failure in my mind. Up until about two years ago, I would still occasionally obsess over perceived embarrassing situations from when I was a small child (< 8 years old). CBT treatments have been very successful for me. It's not easy and there is no slacking off, but I am at a point that I can control my thoughts for the most part and my anxiety isn't dictating my life choices any more.

As others have mentioned public speaking is a prevalent and common fear among a majority of people, and it's important to separate a normal fear of public speaking to those that suffer from an ongoing anxiety disorder. Social anxiety disorders aren't about the discomfort when a trigger event happens, it's about that feeling of anxiety all the time, in irrational situations, that is so strong it causes negative impacts to your life, family, and job. Frankly, regardless of "tells" like leg bouncing, avoiding eye contact, etc, I don't think there's nearly enough evidence to say where Marshawn may or may not fall on that spectrum.

I don't just like Marshawn, I love him. He's my favorite player. He clearly doesn't like giving interviews and I empathize with his discomfort. I don't personally have a problem with the NFL media policy, but I also don't think the press conference he gave this morning serves anyone very well (him, us, media, or NFL). There is ample space for Marshawn to work with the league on reasonable accommodation if he does have a diagnosable condition. Whether or not he interviews or what he says isn't going to affect how much I love him as a player, but at the same time, I'm not buying the "victim" angle in all this.
    Crabhawk
    NET Rookie

Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:00 pm
  • As someone who deplores public speaking and has also performed onstage in bands (guitarist/drummer), thank you for posting this. It can understandably be a hard concept to grasp for some.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:13 pm
  • Aros wrote:Clayton and company? You can kiss my hairy ass. I hope to God Lynch goes BEAST MODE ALL DAY LONG SUNDAY!

Lynch, we love ya, Boss!

Pretty much this. I am pissed at Clayton and will never listen to his show again. What a whiny little puissant. Listening to NFL Live "Marshawn said it was members of the Seattle Media that complained to the league and put him in this predicament"

WTF? It had to be Clayton. On Monday on Bob & Groz I think it was he said "The Marshawn interview will be the most interesting." Well then he got stood up apparently and was pissed saying Marshawn was an embarrassment and should be fined $100,000!

You now what John Clayton? You just embarrassed yourself, and the "Seattle Media" on a national stage. If I were a member of the "Seattle Media" I would shun you like the plague.
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:15 pm
  • SacHawk2.0 wrote:
    ivotuk wrote:I have the same fear, even at work with more than 5 people, I start getting worked up just thinking I might have to speak. I get so nervous sometimes I want to :pukeface:

Quit being a puss.

Hey! I resemble that statement! Or something...
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:47 pm
  • We are rallying the wagons around Lynch (with I'm cool with), but I hope we will now cut other teams more slack (looking at KP)
    falcongoggles
    NET Veteran

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:40 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information