Pete Carroll has had nothing 2 do with building the Seahawks

Rainger

Reaction score
Well I know some will dump on me for my reaction to this article, however if you were not a Hawks fan and you read this article you would believe that the only reason the Hawks are what they are is because of JS.

Now I know that JS has had a huge part of the development of this team however, Pete has final say as far as I know on the players and doesn't just take what JS "gives" him.

However from reading this article and the way it is worded one would not be faulted if they believe that this team is JS and Pete is just the lucky beneficiary of JS's brilliance.

I think the author could have done a better job of showing the dynamics of the FO rather than make it look like it is 100% JS.

PS please don't give me responses about being too sensitive. It is just an opinion about how many the east coast media still do not want to give PC his due.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jas ... -schneider

"La Canfora: The Seahawks are here thanks to smart drafts, a home-run coaching hire and many more free-agency wins than losses, all orchestrated by one man. Story"

-The Glove-

Reaction score
If I remember correctly, La Canfora knows the Seahawks well and is often on Seattle radio. I believe this is more of him giving JS his props than it is to downplay PC's impact

davidonmi

Reaction score
JS has more of an impact than people think and he was the one that wanted RW, however pete has control over some things, there is no doubt about that

Smellyman

Reaction score
Pete gets plenty of props. Even that article praises Pete as well.

But the article is about JS and it's about time he gets the recognition he deserves too.

OP
OP
Rainger

Rainger

Reaction score
-The Glove-":12bc5kqu said:
If I remember correctly, La Canfora knows the Seahawks well and is often on Seattle radio. I believe this is more of him giving JS his props than it is to downplay PC's impact
You may be right about letting him getting his due. It is just in reading it he leaves the impression that the GM is the Boss in this organization (as it is in all of the others) and JS "knows" what Pete wants and then is the one who has made all the moves. I just believe that it is much more of a collaborative effort and that Pete and John work much closer than you get out of the way the article is written.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
rainger":u4k8cv8b said:
-The Glove-":u4k8cv8b said:
You may be right about letting him getting his due. It is just in reading it he leaves the impression that the GM is the Boss in this organization (as it is in all of the others) and JS "knows" what Pete wants and then is the one who has made all the moves. I just believe that it is much more of a collaborative effort and that Pete and John work much closer than you get out of the way the article is written.

I agree with you...but there's been plenty of articles written where PC is recognized as the man in charge and instrumental in the rebuilding of the team (which he is on both accounts). I just see it as La Canfora recognizing JS singularly. Most casual fans or fans of other teams will take it as how you're seeing it, but we know the dynamics of this team, and they most likely don't care anyways

Ozzy

Reaction score
I love JS and think he is a genius and probably the best at what he does. I think its selling Carroll short for his contribution to the team. His convincing JS to wait till the third round to take Wilson landed them Wagner in the second round a pro bowler. He also worked with JS for guys like Sherman, Browner to fit a particular need for Pete's vision of the defense. Like already mentioned Pete wanted Lynch which has worked out very well. Both deserve a ton of credit for where the team is.

OP
OP
Rainger

Rainger

Reaction score
-The Glove-":f8zaiof8 said:
rainger":f8zaiof8 said:
-The Glove-":f8zaiof8 said:

I agree with you...but there's been plenty of articles written where PC is recognized as the man in charge and instrumental in the rebuilding of the team (which he is on both accounts). I just see it as La Canfora recognizing JS singularly. Most casual fans or fans of other teams will take it as how you're seeing it, but we know the dynamics of this team, and they most likely don't care anyways

Oh for sure PC and JS don't care but look at the head line. If you don't know the history, you would belive from this headline that JS hired Pete.

"La Canfora: The Seahawks are here thanks to smart drafts, a home-run coaching hire and many more free-agency wins than losses, all orchestrated by one man. Story"

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Funny, I read this earlier and felt that it was simply giving John his due, while showing the symbiotic relationship and respect that Pete and john have for each other; basically showing how darned well they work with each other.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
rainger":188tzon5 said:
-The Glove-":188tzon5 said:
rainger":188tzon5 said:
-The Glove-":188tzon5 said:

Oh for sure PC and JS don't care but look at the head line. If you don't know the history, you would belive from this headline that JS hired Pete.

I meant the casual fans and fans of other teams don't care... At least to look any further. If they did, they'd know by know those two are a unique tandem

seahawks08

Reaction score
Pete is the architect and visionary behind the Seahawks. JS focuses on scouting and getting the right people to fit the system or find the unique traits that Pete is looking for. JS compliments Pete, but I am sure JS has learned a lot from Pete. Pete knows how to develop talent, build the organization for long term and also knows most of the players when he was coaching at USC. His energy and positiveness definitely brings the best out of these athletes. If you ask me, given the role Pete was given and the authority, any GM with no ego would have done wonders. However not to take anything away from JS, he definitely needs the recognition to work with Pete in unison. I was just hearing the radio today where the players in New England attribute lot of their successful runs to the Superbowl winning years to Pete for coaching and developing them that rarely gets mentioned.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
rainger":1zd3zw21 said:
the east coast media still do not want to give PC his due.
That's fine with me, as I'd rather Pete just rip it from them.
There comes a time when you just can't dismiss what's right there in front of you.
It just makes them look the fools they are for trying to take the credit away from what Pete has accomplished in such a short amount of time.
JS would be the first to tell them that it was Pete who built the "Always Compete" & " I'm In" mantra.

rastahawk

Reaction score
If you ask Pete he'll say it was all John. He's just that kind of guy. Make no mistake. Pete is the architect. John is the builder.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Pete and John are always complimenting each other and giving the other guy credit. That's a demonstration of why their partnership works so well.

bigwrm

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":3u6cxgop said:
What's awesome is that they go with the other's hunch... there is some trust there.

Pete wanted Marshawn and pursued it, so JS gave in.

JS wanted RW, so Pete gave in.

Two of the single greatest decisions in this franchise because the one guy trusted the other... it doesn't get any better than that.

I just saw an interview with JS where he said he was really disappointed when buffalo took lynch a few picks before GB so he was excited to trade for him a few years later.

Seeker

Reaction score
The defense has caroll's fingerprints all over it.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I don't take that article as a Schneider over Pete thing at all. Sometimes I think people are LOOKING for negative things to talk about around here. This article is giving Schneider some well deserved props, but it's about the furthest thing from a slam. These two paragraphs pretty much are what make this team

For Schneider, what best captures the Seahawks' rise to perennial contender is his ever-evolving relationship with head coach Pete Carroll, a man who was a relative stranger at the time the duo was first thrust together and someone the young general manager now considers a friend, advocate and equal. It wasn't long ago that owner Paul Allen rebranded the Seahawks, first through the hiring of Carroll, plucking him away from his collegiate dynasty and rock-star status at Southern California with an NCAA inquiry intensifying, and then, after a lengthy GM search, indentifying Schneider, a relatively unknown exec with the Packers, as the perfect complement.

Turns out the two balance each other out. Though both are buoyant, Carroll's optimism is effusive while Schneider seems to bear a little more weight of the real world as he battles the daily drudgery of roster maintenance. There is enough of a yin-and-yang thing going on to consistently better the organization, and after a dizzying litany of transactions -- with only three players (center Max Unger and defensive tackles Brandon Mebane and Red Bryant) remaining from the roster they inherited -- the Seahawks are positioned for sustained success, thanks in large part to a general manager who always seems to want to share the accolades with others.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
I think you really missed the point of the article. JS has always hung in the shadows behind PC. That's the way he operates. He doesn't want the spotlight. This article was about giving him some credit as an unsung hero and pointing out what a great team he and PC are. There is nothing to be upset about here.