Bronco's starting DB speed

samwize77

Reaction score
I'm curious as to the speed of Bronco's DB's. Can they stand up to our WR's? I'm thinking with 4 or even 5 wide out sets is there anyone on the Donkos that can match speed man-for man? I'm just day dreaming here, but imagine putting ET in a play or 2 as a wide out. Harvin, Lockette, ET running go routes with ADB and GT running under/crossing routes. Thats some serious speed out there running go routes clearing the center of the field of safeties. It would seem SOMEONE would have to open if RW gets enough time to go through his reads.

jblaze

Reaction score
Harvin has speed that Denver has to deal with but a lot of his impact is close to the LOS or behind it. If he gets going though, he's hard to keep up with. Lockette is a burner but not much of a factor.

The rest of the WR's are not speed guys. Their impact is usually from running great routes, meeting the ball at the highest point or getting open on scrambles, etc.

As far as getting ET in on offense, no, just no.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
You lost me at ET running go routes.

But I will say with Chris Harris being out and an 85 year old Champ Bailey playing, that should create some great mis-matches for our WR's. I'd like to see Harvin used in the slot A LOT to clear out space for Baldwin, Tate and Miller to run crossing patterns all damn day.

Mr.Hawkbrah

Reaction score
You can never count on Lockett having a big game, but I've been impressed with his key plays he has made. Percy Will light up anyone if he plays. Our other guys just aren't real fast, I don't get this board. I've watched every game, have not seen tate or bald or Kearse flat out, outrun someone. Very good wrs definitely, exceptional athletes they are not.

Papa-pwn

Reaction score
The outside CBs- DRC is a 4.2 guy, Tony Carter ran a 4.41 I believe. Champ Bailey plays outside too, but is in the slot in 3 CB sets. Hard to say what his speed is at now, it's not the 4.2 he ran when he was 21 that's for sure. I'd say 4.5 something.

The safeties- Mike Adams and Ihenacho are both 4.5 guys

OP
OP
samwize77

samwize77

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies gentlemen. As far as ET playing offense...I said A PLAY OR 2. Not actually playing. And of course he, and Lockette are more of the decoy type that still has to be accounted for. Lockette isn't a great hands kinda guy. BUT they can get their defenders downfield and out of the play quickly Harvin ABSOLUTELY has to be accounted for and in this scenario would be one of Wilsons first reads if he draws one of the slower defenders. Tate and ADG would be primary reads. Thanks for the reply on Denver DB speed papa...alittle faster than I hoped....lol....if true :)

lobohawk

Reaction score
Not asking for a change in gameplan, but I would be curious to see what would happen with 4 wide and Lynch in the backfield.

Would the defense lose some strength in the front seven, as they go to match the 4 receivers (more safeties/CBs trying to tackle lynch)?

Would teams go more man, which probably opens things up for Wilson (corners with their backs to Wilson)?

Basis4day

Reaction score
Don't put any of the defense on offense. You're just asking for a cheap shot.

You have enough speed with Lockette and Harvin to run a go route if you wanted to. The long ball isn't where the offense struggles so i don't see how exposing ET is supposed to improve anything. You also described a 5 receiver set. I think the hawks would rather not be in a situation where they need to have 5 WR and only 5 lineman blocking for Russell. We're a run first team that uses the play action for chunk plays. Why would ET on a go route scare the broncos more than Lockette?

Speed=Good WR is a Al Davis way of thinking.

Latest posts