So Browner is gone....for maybe over a year

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Why the hell is marijuana a banned substance anyways? What athletic benefit can possibly come from it?

Seanhawk

Reaction score
-The Glove-":ijd1ngze said:
Why the hell is marijuana a banned substance anyways? What athletic benefit can possibly come from it?

If more and more states continue to make it legal, I can see them changing it. But as it stands right now, there was never any gray area that it was banned, and he used it.

BeaHUman

Reaction score
Kinda makes for an interesting congruence of events, Browner's suspension, Goodell's comments and the SuperB owl played by teams from the two legalization states.

McGruff

Reaction score
-The Glove-":22mglb34 said:

Its banned cause its illegal in the US.

Axx

Reaction score
It says medical use. Browner used it recreationally.

Mick063

Reaction score
Reefer madness. Although I am a "baby boomer", I will admit that this planet will be a much better place when we have finally moved on.

Sorry that we are trying to impose a warped version of "Leave it to Beaver"/"The Flying Nun" on you all.

Marlin Man

Reaction score
Browner will never play for Hawks again, not saying it is right, just saying

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
As my (now) old drill sergeant said to us on occasion (circa 1969)... "Smoke 'em if ya got 'em."

And for those of us in WA, we now can.

Is this a wonderful world or what?

12evanf

Reaction score
WTIII used it. We should vilify him too if we are going to do it Browner. Browner got screwed.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Minne":35v7ddy8 said:
Browner screwed himself.

Exactly. Nobody made him hit that blunt. He knew he was running the risk of getting popped.

gargantual

Reaction score
-The Glove-":1blhruev said:
It's the whole "children" angle. Our sports figures are supposed to be put on pedestals and be role models. That's the future of the NFL, both future players and future fans are children now.

I'm surprised RG is even considering allowing it for medical use (concussions, right?). That's sympathetic, but there's a big portion of the population that still thinks it's worse for you than alcohol. It definitely hampers memory (the synapse gap thing) and certainly isn't good for concentration or motivation......uhh, does anyone SERIOUSLY think that it gives athletes some sort of advantage?

So it all comes down to the Culture War that has raged since Vietnam, and to moral judgements.

gargantual

Reaction score
12evanf":20pjjgyu said:
WTIII used it. We should vilify him too if we are going to do it Browner. Browner got screwed.
This is a great point as well. Where is the outrage directed towards Thurmond? Since he's back on the roster, he's alright to root for.

Both of them were stupid and selfish. No getting around that. But I guess it's a whole sour grapes thing, "Well, I didn't want him anyway" with Browner.

I've watched him in some of the early season games and I REALLY miss him. He was a SERIOUS, SERIOUS playmaker. Good for at least one or two game altering plays each game. We were stronger with him on the field.......and he made the games more entertaining. @#*$* pot-head! But he really got a raw deal. I still think it's revenge for Sherm winning his appeal last year.

seadoc30

Reaction score
Players who get arrested for DUI get away with it or get warnings. It's DUIs that kill about 20000 Americans every year and injure thousands of others. Complete shame, not only on the NFL, but the Country for not taking harsher stand against this this lethal crime.

HawksSoc

Reaction score
Minne":69bfolpa said:
Browner screwed himself.

Agreed. Thurmond too. They knew it was illegal and did it anyway. They put themselves before the team.

gargantual

Reaction score
Both have their downsides to what it does to a person's brain, but there's no question that alcohol is WAY worse. Since it's water soluble it passes through every cell in the body and equally distributes it's harmful effects. It's better to abstain from both of them, especially for an athlete, who wants to take advantage of every edge he can find.

Buuuuuut there's a gigantic hypocrisy going on here. People put out moral outrage about someone smoking weed and then down a bottle of beer/whiskey/wine/whatever. I call gigantic BS on that. Either ban them both (and cigarettes while you're at it!) or stop with the BS double-standard that has gone on for so long. Hell even MY drug of choice, caffeine, is something that we'd all probably be better off not ever using.....that reminds me, I need to get some coffee.......so add me to that list of BS-ers I guess :).

gargantual

Reaction score
seadoc30":2m5l38ov said:
Players who get arrested for DUI get away with it or get warnings. It's DUIs that kill about 20000 Americans every year and injure thousands of others. Complete shame, not only on the NFL, but the Country for not taking harsher stand against this this lethal crime.
How is that any different when you take the "role model" stance on this issue, which I think is what "Godell" is doing?