Dissecting incorrect national media narratives

davidonmi

Reaction score
"seahawks aren't as good away from home"
Isn't this true for all teams? Seattle is tied for the most road wins this season, and the SB isn't a true road game.

"Seattle can't come from behind"
they just came from 10-0 and 17-10 down against one of the best defenses in the league.

"When the broncos load the box to stop Lynch, can russell wilson beat them?"
Didn't the saints and the 49ers load the box? still couldn't stop Lynch. If this was a simple solution why hasn't it been implemented ye?

"the seahawks have below average wide recievers"
I saw a nice stat from Prisco, the seahawks have 2 50 catch recievers, only 2 other teams have that. They aren't great wide receivers but they're better than people give them credit for, especially with Harvin back.

"Russell Wilson is nothing more than a game manager"
They haven't needed him to be more than a game manager so far, he's shown when had to he can lead an important drive with the game on the line. If they fall behind and are forced to open it up and tell him he can take chances why can't he show he's a top 10 QB.

ASuperForce

Reaction score
I think the bit about this team not being able to come from behind stems from the ignorant belief that any team that doesn't have a high-powered passing attack/uptempo offense can't keep up in a shootout. This team comes from behind with a mixture of explosive plays in all three phases of the game.

So I understand why some people would get that impression, no matter how wrong it is.

Polaris

Reaction score
ASuperForce":1e4fs61g said:
I think the bit about this team not being able to come from behind stems from the ignorant belief that any team that doesn't have a high-powered passing attack/uptempo offense can't keep up in a shootout. This team comes from behind with a mixture of explosive plays in all three phases of the game.

So I understand why some people would get that impression, no matter how wrong it is.

Agreed. Traditionally when you talk about a team with a strong defense, time consuming power running game, and a QB that has (on paper at least) a pedestrian passing game, people thing of the 2000 Ravens or San Fran of late. These were and are great teams, but are in deep kimchee if they fall behind by more than a score.

On paper Seattle looks like such a time, but as we all know that impression is misleading. Seattle has shown time and again, that they have an ability to make explosive plays often very quickly and is second only to Indy in it's ability to come back from behind.

So while the national media meme is understandable on paper, it's wrong....and the supposed experts should know better.

OP
OP
davidonmi

davidonmi

Reaction score
the one that gets to me the most is the one on lynch, everyone says they will load the box and force wilson to beat them, yet both times in the playoffs (lynch was saving his best for the playoffs at the end of the reg. season) lynch has ran all over them.

It isn't just that simple

Polaris

Reaction score
davidonmi":t29epzgm said:
the one that gets to me the most is the one on lynch, everyone says they will load the box and force wilson to beat them, yet both times in the playoffs (lynch was saving his best for the playoffs at the end of the reg. season) lynch has ran all over them.

It isn't just that simple

Yeah and it's something the national experts should know better. Lynch has been running into stuffed boxes almost the entire season and certainly most of the last month including the MNF game. The Saints in the playoffs eased off a bit in order to better contain Wilson (who torched them on MNF) but then Lynch torched them in the playoffs to the tune of 140 yards and 2 TDs.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Wilson has the 2nd most comeback wins the last two years. (to luck)

When asked to he wins.

Not to mention 3rd most td passes in his frist two years. (2nd to Marino and Manning!)

drdiags

Reaction score
I think the national media and non-Seahawks fans see Wilson running around and just figure it is an unsustainable offense. It doesn't look structured in the passing game because it seems the team is taking shots up the sidelines and over the top, with nothing in rhythm across the middle. Miller not being used to attack the middle or Willson gives the impression that things are random.

The telling quotes to me from the FX clips from the 9ers game was Crabtree and Boldin talking about our offense. How we scramble Wilson and hope to hit them big over the top. Or when the 9ers got up early, the defensive lineman stating that they now had to get ready for Wilson to start running around playing backyard football.

It isn't just people pulling stuff out of the air or not knowing the team. I remember the Raiders fan who scoffed at the Seahawks hiring of Cable. Saying his OL pass protection stunk. May have been a little truth to that though I still love the big mug. With the tackles being injured most of the season, I understand we had problems. We just need to start having better pockets going forward. Wilson is getting hit way too often. Thank the deity of your choice that there is a running game to help him out.

Nog

Reaction score
On ESPN, Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith dared to say that Patrick Peterson is better than Sherman... What a joke!!! Peterson is probably the most overrated cornerback in NFL.

OP
OP
davidonmi

davidonmi

Reaction score
Nog":eivr8sla said:
On ESPN, Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith dared to say that Patrick Peterson is better than Sherman... What a joke!!! Peterson is probably the most overrated cornerback in NFL.
peterson is the most talented CB we've seen since maybe Primetime.
His career as a CB has been a whole lot of unlived potential.
Tate made him look silly a couple times in ARI

Nog

Reaction score
davidonmi":xx2joej1 said:
Nog":xx2joej1 said:
peterson is the most talented CB we've seen since maybe Primetime.
His career as a CB has been a whole lot of unlived potential.
Tate made him look silly a couple times in ARI
I saw him getting exposed many times... He could be sometimes shutdown though. And yeah, he is really gifted as an athlete; however, playing in the national league requires some brain.

aulaza

Reaction score
You guys have made the mistake of listening to national sports media, which by and large is poor quality, repetitive and lazy. Seriously Skip Bayless?? He is a total fool as well as being utterly biased, you can't take anything he says seriously. I listened to his assessment of the AFCCG. Obviously the loss of Talib was big, but Skip claimed that if he had been healthy then NE would definitely have won the game!! Anyone who watched would realise this is utter rubbish, as is most of the stuff he comes up with.

Most of the media just repeats the storylines and talking points they hear elsewhere. I can't listen to it because the ignorance is so damn annoying!!

ASuperForce

Reaction score
Skip Bayless and Richard Sherman have more in common than either one of them would ever admit in public. :stirthepot: