Why the Hawks will blowout the Broncos

plyka

Reaction score
I've called for 3 blowouts in big games this year, the only one I was mistaken on was the 2nd Saints game which was not a blowout (but in my opinion should have been). This is my 4th blowout call. The reason? I think the Hawks are a better team, but that in and of itself would not result in a blowout. The reason it will be a blowout is that not just are they better, but they have 4-5 random factors all benefiting them in this matchup. So not only are they better but they are playing the perfect opponent at the perfect time.

1) Seahawks strength dominates Denver strength. The Seahawks have a legendary defense, one of the best I've ever seen. There is no simple way to combat this legendary defense. But if you're going to pick a method or I should say a TEAM that would be best to go up against this Seahawks defense, it would be the exact opposite of the Denver Broncos. It would be the 49ers. An absolutely athletic QB with a ground and pound game plan and some play action to compliment that attack. Basically I would construct the 49ers. They have the offensive line, the QB which can hurt you in a million different ways, the RB which is north/south, big and strong, plus WRs/TEs which are extremely large and athletic. The Denver broncs are the exact opposite --they are the perfect opponent for this defense. A noodle armed QB who can beat you in one way, a QB which you know will sit on his spot. WRs who are not knwn for their physicality. A running game which is more finesse that pound. The Hawks will play physical press man/zone, let their rushers loose and get to Manning.

2) Outdoor wind. This is New Jersey in winter time. The best weather which can be hoped for is cold + no snow. You will get some wind. And wind will destroy Manning's duck passes.

3) Seattle's offense versus Denver's defense. Denver's defense has NOT seen anything like this offense. I know this may sound weird to some after hearing about all the weaknesses on this offense. But ask yourself when has this Denver defense played against a GOOD read option QB which can also hurt you with the deep ball? I guess the closest you can get to Wilson is Luck, and Denver did lose to Luck in the regular season. They have not played against Cam Newton, they have not played against Kaepernick, they have not played against RGIII (Edit: They did play against RGIII, and it wasn't great, the analysis to this is added below) . So which QB have they played against that is a dual threat? Please don't bring up Terrel Pryor, because he is not even a single threat.

4) RB. BeastMode. This defense will have to defend a dynamic offense because of BeastMode. They have the dual threat of Wilson, but then they also have to worry about BeastMode running on them. Furthermore, they have to worry about Percy. There are 3 threats, all different, from this backfield. You have the pound in Lynch, the flash in Percy and the dual threat of Wilson.

5) Manning's biggest weapon is reading defenses. Mostly presnap. Unfortunately for Manning, as Cosell said yesterday on the Herd, this is NOT a scheme defense. It's not a defense which attempts to trick you into thinking they are playing something other than they are playing. This is an execution defense, which means they line up, they play zone underneath, press man on the outside, with 1 safety over the top. That's 65% of the defense. The other defense they play is man. They rarely blitz, they rarely attempt to trick you into guessing the scheme. They let you know what they are going to play. So Manning's biggest strength is worthless against this defense.

Basically, this is the perfect TYPE of team for the Seahawks to play. They know exactly what they are going to get. Even if Denver were a slightly better team than the Seahawks, this would be an overmatch for Denver, due to the matchup problems of the two teams. Unfortunately for them, the Seahawks are the better team. Add that to the matchup issues, and this results in a blowout for the Hawks. My prediction: 34-17 Seahawks.

Edit: Denver did play against RGIII and the Redskins. It was not a steller performance. As we know RGIII has had a horrible year this year. He was still injured to some extent during this week 8 game. That said, he had an OK game with the exception of his turnovers. RGIII/team turned it over an amazing 5 times. 5 times! They will not get anywhere close to this against Wilson and the Hawks. RGIII and the redskins actually did a good job against Denver. They got 22 first downs and 266 total yards. They rushed all over the Broncos with a back similar to Lynch in Morriss. The final score was 45 to 21, but if memory servers RGIII and his team were up by 2 TDs until they completely fell apart in the 2nd half.

formido

Reaction score
I agree with all this. It reminds me of the Lollapalooza Effect, named by the lesser known genius behind Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway, Charlie Munger, where he makes predictions based on a bunch of models all coming together in one event or system. There's another factor, too, Percy Harvin. As much as some folks will glibly joke about him being made of glass or emotionally downplaying his potential effect due to fatigue, he's objectively very likely to play the whole game and we already have clear unambiguous evidence of his pronounced effect on Seattle's offense and special teams.

Jac

Reaction score
plyka":sosh1qoy said:
5) Manning's biggest weapon is reading defenses. Mostly presnap. Unfortunately for Manning, as Cosell said yesterday on the Herd, this is NOT a scheme defense. It's not a defense which attempts to trick you into thinking they are playing something other than they are playing. This is an execution defense, which means they line up, they play zone underneath, press man on the outside, with 1 safety over the top. That's 65% of the defense. The other defense they play is man. They rarely blitz, they rarely attempt to trick you into guessing the scheme. They let you know what they are going to play. So Manning's biggest strength is worthless against this defense.

That's interesting. Chris Cooley did a true "X&O" breakdown with the new Redskin OC (McVay) on the Seahawk defense for an hour yesterday. I mean they sounded like they were speaking in a foreign language (i.e., it wasn't dumbed down for the radio audience). Cooley then asked McVay whether the Seahawks defense had any weaknesses that could be schemed. He said unequivocally that they had no weaknesses that could be exploited. All you could do is run your offense and hope your guys can make the play (which you actually addressed in a couple of your other points).

lsheldon

Reaction score
These "this is why we blow them out threads" always make me nervous. I truly believe we have a better team across the board with a better coaching staff and players. Still nervous...

dopeboy206

Reaction score
You say we have a legendary defense but forget to mention Denver has a legendary offense. Lol

Polaris

Reaction score
dopeboy206":1a6cfevo said:
You say we have a legendary defense but forget to mention Denver has a legendary offense. Lol

Since the NFL-AFL merger, the superbowl has matched the legandary defense against the legendary offense four times (this will be the fifth). The Legendary Defense has won 3 out of 4.

ivotuk

Reaction score
They rarely blitz, they rarely attempt to trick you into guessing the scheme. They let you know what they are going to play

This is what I heard when listening to Kam, he said he had no idea what omaha meant, and it appeared that he really didn't care.

I saw on TV last night that the #1 defense has played 15 times (can't remember if it was SuperB Owl or playoffs but I think it was the former) and have won 12 times. 3 losses for the #1 defense in 15 games. Impressive.

And you have to look at what San Diego did to Denver, run the ball, stop the run, pressure PMan and eat up the clock (38 minutes in two games)

OP
OP
plyka

plyka

Reaction score
I updated the original post. Denver did play against 1 read option QB that has talent, and that's RGIII with his struggling team. I updated the original post.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I have a lot of confidence the hawks will win.

I don't have much confidence in a blow-out though. As good as our D is, I have to give respect to Manning and those recievers to make plays, and our offense even if we are getting defensive shut-downs will be so concerned with running the clock that we aren't going to put up huge numbers.

Polaris

Reaction score
plyka":9atayhl8 said:
I updated the original post. Denver did play against 1 read option QB that has talent, and that's RGIII with his struggling team. I updated the original post.

Right, and I remember that the stuggling Redskins gave Denver everything they could handle up to the fourth qtr.

DeathbyTalons

Reaction score
Polaris":zgmn425s said:
plyka":zgmn425s said:

Right, and I remember that the stuggling Redskins gave Denver everything they could handle up to the fourth qtr.
Interesting.

Largent80

Reaction score
Plyka, I also feel we blow them out for all the reasons you mentioned and a few more I am to lazy to type. Plus I just bought a new TV to watch it on, so it IS happening.... :lol:

ivotuk

Reaction score
Largent80":38xw6emw said:
Plyka, I also feel we blow them out for all the reasons you mentioned and a few more I am to lazy to type. Plus I just bought a new TV to watch it on, so it IS happening.... :lol:

TV prices are really dropping! I saw a 60" in Fred Meyer Fairbanks for $799. I thought I was doing good when I bought a Samsung 60" last year off Craigslist for $600. Hell, even a 40" is down to $299 here in Alaska.

Largent80

Reaction score
I got a 60" Vizio, which had the best picture by far of all I looked at for $799. Not trying to hijack the thread, just sayin I'll enjoy the blowout on my new tv.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
You could be on to something Plyka.

For me this is a slightly more difficult rematch of Atlanta vs Seattle in 2012.

Put Clemons, Avril, and Bennett in that game, the Falcons would have stood no chance.

I don't have the balls to predict a blow-out because I feel if the Seahawks start out hot, and Broncos don't, the refs will find the littlest of things to put the fire out. And even out the momentum.

However, I look at the Broncos defense and its built very similar to ours, except it doesn't have the talent and depth we have. We simply have better players across the board. The only player they have that is betters than ours in a mirrored comparison even if Denver's D was at full health is Von Miller over Bruce Irvin.

So our defense can simulate theirs very well and unfortunately for them their lack of depth is going to be their ultimate downfall. Seahawks have one of the most physical teams in the league, Wilson can wear you down with his mobility and the running game can wear down even the toughest defense when the O-Line is rolling and the Beast Mode is looking to feast.

If we WIN it will be because we totally dominate the 2nd Half.

Starrman44

Reaction score
I've felt like the Seahawks have one more blowout in them. So, since it hasn't come yet, the Super Bowl must be it. It's the same feeling I had earlier in the year before they got a couple lopsided wins (one being the first New Orleans game).

34-17 or something like that is what I'm feeling. Of course, if the weather is terrible it may make it closer. It's gonna be a lot of fun.

Mindsink

Reaction score
I totally agree. This has the feel of 2002 when the #1 defense (Bucs) beatdown the #1 offense (Raiders). Their 48 points scored was their highest of the season. That season, the Raiders had the #6 defense also.

Look at Brad Johnson's numbers compared to Russell Wilson that year. Very similar. They also had a physical, run-first offense with their two-headed attack of Alstott and Pittman. Statistically, their rushing offense ranked pretty low. Their passing offense was middle of the road. Their passing defense was better than their rush defense, just like us.

I can easily see a 41-17, or even a 52-20 type game.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I don't think the NFL will allow a blowout, so if we're up by a ton at halftime the flags will start to fly to even things out. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but I do believe the NFL wants good ratings for this throughout the game.

That said.....

Denver hasn't faced an offense like ours. We have a brutal run game and we stick with it. They also haven't faced a back like Lynch, as there is none that really compare to his style and sheer brutality (Marion Barber is out of the NFL, or he'd be close), mixed with elusiveness. Thing is you mix that run game with explosive plays. We were at the top of the league in explosive plays (I want to say 3rd, and that's after a miserable last quarter of the season offensively). There's nothing really like it in the NFL unless you're talking SF, and they don't match our explosive plays.

On defense, I don't think anyone has seen a defense quite like this. We have a big physical secondary that can jam almost any WR at the line and disrupt timing. Manning is living off of quick 3 step drops and timing passes. Between the elements and our secondary, it's going to mess with their timing. If he holds the ball a bit too long, our DL will get home.

We're also a very deep defense. These guys can rotate, and when they get the chance they will. Even if they go no huddle, we can still sub packages in, or rotate guys for series and lose next to nothing in performance. Denver won't wear us down with a quick passing game, and they don't have the horses to do it on the ground.

Latest posts