Ruskell vs Schnider

Giblien

Reaction score
Why do you think Schnider has been so much more successful as a GM than Ruskell was?

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
He's better at his job. He's willing to traverse the globe looking for talent and isn't afraid to take a chance or risk if it will help Pete achieve his goals.

Polaris

Reaction score
Giblien":3gty6r4u said:
Why do you think Schnider has been so much more successful as a GM than Ruskell was?

He's willing to work with the head coach rather than try to tell the head coach what he feels are the right personelle. There are other reasons, but that's a big one right there.

themunn

Reaction score
He is looking for the right player, not the right person

SilkMonkey

Reaction score
Ruskell was about high floor low ceiling choir boys. Schneider is about high ceiling, playmaking MEN.

Axx

Reaction score
Schneider had a better coaching tree

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Relationship with the head coach is #1. JS knows the type of guys PC and his staff want. The team has a very clear identity in place.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
I think Ruskell had a formula that he was too beholden to, a formula that discounted talented players before even considering them. It would be like having Mel Kiper as a GM, drooling over "safe picks" picks like Trent Richardson or Jimmy Clausen (or Aaron Curry!), and we know how that story goes. Whereas it seems like Schneider is just more open. I don't think there's any great secret to it, he just gives everyone a second look.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Ruskell was far too zoned into senior prospects from big schools with good character.

When you're that restrictive in the process, you're shutting so many doors you don't need to shut.

Plus his penchant for filling holes with expensive, old free agents was a franchise killer.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
Of all the things I hated, his big school and senoir bias really iritated me.

And for all his work to never draft a bust with this formula he ended up with Curry

I can't fault him too much for that one because everyone thought he was going to be awesome, kind of curious who John would of picked there though at number 4.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
That's like asking why Bob Dylan was a better songwriter than Kesha. Or something. One is awesome and one sucked!!!

Sprfunk

Reaction score
Mr.Hawkbrah":nada96ya said:
Js reads Kearlys scouting reports each off season?
Subtracting all impossibilities leaves you with the truth... Kearley is John Schneider until proven otherwise.

BadGuy711

Reaction score
Simple. Schneider is successful because is aligned with the Head Coach. The Ruskell/Holmgren divide doomed Tim to failure.

And on top of everything already posted, all of which is valid, Ruskell also drafted really small corners, and made stupid decisions about HOF Guards.

Mr.Hawkbrah

Reaction score
Sprfunk":3cgqzubz said:
Mr.Hawkbrah":3cgqzubz said:
Js reads Kearlys scouting reports each off season?
Subtracting all impossibilities leaves you with the truth... Kearley is John Schneider until proven otherwise.

Oh lawd, spelt his name wrong... my next madden Draft will surely be cursed now.

Agreed though. No other feasible explanation.

twelthmanfan

Reaction score
With Ruskell, you could usually guess who he would take in the draft. With Schneider, you don't have a chance. He is the best period.