The Official Travel to NJ and NYC information thread

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
Being that the Super Bowl will be held here, I thought I would make a post with some information that might help my Seahawk brethren.
This is pretty much for first timers travelling to the area.

Ok...So first of all, game is in East Rutherford, New Jersey. You can fly into EWR, which is Newark, NJs major airport.
EWR is about 20 mins from E. Rutherford. Cabs will prob charge 50.00 or more to go into NYC. NYC is accessible by train or bus
[Cheaper, but longer.]
You can also fly into JFK AND LGA, both major airports, located in Queens, New York.
Again, cabs will prob charge 50.00 or more to go into NYC.

E. Rutherford is approximately 15 to 20 mins from NYC [from 42nd street, the Port Authority building].
42nd street is midtown, the heart of the city, and is on the west side. This is what you always see when they show the bright lights
of NYC in commercials and movies, and such. Tourist heaven.

34th street also offers public transportation into and out of NYC. For information on trains running in NYC,
check out http://new.mta.info/ and http://www.panynj.gov/path/
These two streets are the major transportation hubs in NYC, pretty much all trains [MTA] stop here.
MTA trains and buses are larger than the PATH, and go all over NYC, as well as the outer boroughs
[Bronx,Queens, Brooklyn, and Staten Island, etc]

I would highly suggest you get MTA cards, it will save you time and you dont have to whip out your wallet every time you need to board a train.
There is no other way to physically get to the trains. NYC is generally safe, but trust me, there are pickpockets and people who hang around MTA card machines that will observe you and your cash. Also, some stops only offer MTA card machines, so you cant buy them from MTA agents, even if you want to.

I highly suggest the trains. The easiest way to move around NYC. Cabs will know if you are visiting and will try to milk the fare.
Not always of course, but everything is a business. You can go to these sites, and the trip planners tells you exactly where you want to go if you are doing the tourist thing.

You can always rent a car for NYC, but parking is ALWAYS horrendous, garages are pricey, and people are aggressive, insane drivers here.
Traffic into and out of NYC is a nightmare during rush hours is a nightmare, but from 10am to 3pm and 8 pm till 7am are the easiest times to drive.

If you are staying in NJ for super bowl, the reverse is the same. There are buses that go into NYC and will drop you off in the Port Authority building.
Check out http://www.njtransit.com/hp/hp_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=HomePageTo. They have trip planners as well.

I read that parking in the Superb Owl venue will be 100.00 a pop, and traffic will be INSANE that day.
If you are staying in NJ [in the immediate area of East Rutherford], you could technically get around on your feet.
This all depends on your hotel, the restaurants and things to do, of course, but you could definitely get around the surrounding area on public transportation as well. This will be cheaper than staying in NYC, by how much, I am not sure. I, personally would do this, unless you get a great deal for a hotel in NYC.

http://www.nj.com/ and http://www.visitnj.org/ are great sites for info on New Jersey.

The closest towns to NYC from NJ are Guttenberg, West New York, Fairview, North Bergen, Cliffside Park, Weehawken, Union City,
Edgewater, Ridgefield, Hoboken, Fort Lee, Secaucus, and Ridgefield Park, NJ. I bring these towns up because these hotels here will be cheaper than hotels in NYC, probably not as fancy, but closer to game, and not far from NYC if you want to go visit.

To me, Jersey City is sketch, and Hoboken is considered NJs own little NYC. All these sites I listed have Super Bowl updates,
and are worth a read if you are making the trip.

Feel free to reach out, Ill be happy to help with any info I have. Ill try to add on here as I think of more things.

Riley12

Reaction score
Good info! I love the transportation system in the northeast. Trains (above and below ground) are the way to go.

I lived in New Jersey for 10 years (both children were born in Somerville) and became very wise to the culture.

I am looking forward to a return trip to visit some old haunts, even for the long weekend. A slice from Vincenzos in Budd Lake is calling my name.

TalontedNoseRider

Reaction score
Great post--much appreciated.

Mods this is useful info...why the hell isn't this stickied?

I know going to the Super Bowl isn't half as cool as the frickin' swinging doors in Spokane, but c'mon!

Interceptor

Reaction score
NJSeaHawk":1dtngtz6 said:
34th street also offers public transportation into and out of NYC. For information on trains running in NYC, check out http://new.mta.info/ and http://www.panynj.gov/path/
These two streets are the major transportation hubs in NYC, pretty much all trains [MTA] stop here.
MTA trains and buses are larger than the PATH, and go all over NYC, as well as the outer boroughs
[Bronx,Queens, Brooklyn, and Staten Island, etc]

I would highly suggest you get MTA cards, it will save you time and you dont have to whip out your wallet every time you need to board a train.
There is no other way to physically get to the trains. NYC is generally safe, but trust me, there are pickpockets and people who hang around MTA card machines that will observe you and your cash. Also, some stops only offer MTA card machines, so you cant buy them from MTA agents, even if you want to.

I highly suggest the trains. The easiest way to move around NYC. Cabs will know if you are visiting and will try to milk the fare.
Not always of course, but everything is a business. You can go to these sites, and the trip planners tells you exactly where you want to go if you are doing the tourist thing.

You can always rent a car for NYC, but parking is ALWAYS horrendous, garages are pricey, and people are aggressive, insane drivers here.
Traffic into and out of NYC is a nightmare during rush hours is a nightmare, but from 10am to 3pm and 8 pm till 7am are the easiest times to drive.

Everything is true and verified since I do live IN the city.
Subway is the BEST way to get around. Traffic can be slow (especially now that they are closing a major part of Broadway for Super Bowl activities) so avoid surface travel if you can and free parking is almost non-existent. My preferred mode of transportation is the walk.

If you are going to the game or the stadium activities, there is a special train that has a specific route to-and-from Met Life: http://web.mta.info/mta/sports/meadowlands.html#nyc
So you wouldn't really need a car if you are staying in the city.

Shopping is on 5th Ave from 57th ST down to 34th ST.
If you are going to hit any bars or restaurants, 9th Ave from 57th ST to 42nd ST is your best bet.
I would avoid the "tourist restaurants" along Broadway.
Watch for the construction.

The Seahawks bar: Carlow East, located on the upper East side http://www.yelp.com/biz/carlow-east-new-york

Let me know if you have any questions.

benthebeerman

Reaction score
Thanks NJ, great info! Has anyone heard where the Seahawks are staying?

My wife and I are flying into Newark Friday and staying way out in West Orange. I'm thinking about renting a car but may just do the taxi thing to the hotel. The NJ transit site is down and I am still trying to figure out how we are going to get to the stadium via the trains. Would it be more practical to get into Manhattan first? Or would it be easier coming from Penn Station NJ or Secaucus?

nsport

Reaction score
Also as an FYI, Philadelphia is not too far away - as an alternate, less expensive flight it is also a much easier airport (especially in crazy weather) than Newark. Mark and I are renting a car from there and staying in Jersey.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Anybody have any thoughts should a person be able to find a way there for them to find some reasonably priced tickets? Not premium seats but maybe nosebleeds or something like that? I'm toying with the idea but wonder what tickets would cost.

maporsche

Reaction score
Anyone else going alone? Anyone want to split a hotel room (I'll sleep on the floor if I have to).

OP
OP
NJSeahawk

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
benthebeerman":1afpa9jx said:
Thanks NJ, great info! Has anyone heard where the Seahawks are staying?

My wife and I are flying into Newark Friday and staying way out in West Orange. I'm thinking about renting a car but may just do the taxi thing to the hotel. The NJ transit site is down and I am still trying to figure out how we are going to get to the stadium via the trains. Would it be more practical to get into Manhattan first? Or would it be easier coming from Penn Station NJ or Secaucus?

check out http://www.metlifestadium.com/getting-here/public-transportation

Ben, your best bet is to get to Newark Penn Station. Check out NJTransit site when it's up for bus that takes you there.
From Newark Penn you can take a shuttle train directly to MetLife Stadium. It drops you off literally 20 steps away from Stadium.

(Newark Penn Station is the last stop before taking NJ Transit into the city. Newark Penn Station is kinda sketch, but it is a major train hub in NJ and cops are always around, the NJ Devils and NY RedBulls stadiums are closeby. But at night homeless people crash there.)

Side note, you can also hop on the Path train at Newark Penn Station as well. The Path train is good because it starts all the way downtown in NYC from the Village (christopher st. I believe.) and it makes local stops till 34th street. If you take the NJTransit train into the city, it will be more expensive and only goes to 34th street, but is alot faster. I guess it depends on what you want to do.

:thirishdrinkers: I am glad I can help out. I know how it feels being somewhere and not being familiar with the area. I love this site, and if I can help anyone from here save a few bucks and/ or time, I will be damned sure to do so. Last thing I want anyone to do is spend all this money to get here, and have a crappy experience. People from NYC/NJ are generally friendly, so don't be afraid to ask for directions or so when here. It's just that when you have to spend money for such services, you might get ripped off. Oh, I never introduced myself :34853_doh: My name is Tom. Feel free to reach out!

red grenadine

Reaction score
What are people doing pre-game? Is there an official Seahawks tailgate or pre-party somewhere near the stadium?

OP
OP
NJSeahawk

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
red grenadine":15facgi4 said:
What are people doing pre-game? Is there an official Seahawks tailgate or pre-party somewhere in NJ?

no Seahawk bars in NJ. There is Carlows East in NYC (upper east side, but I am sure it is going to be PACKED. It's a decent sized bar, but there are going to be so many Hawk fans there that it's gonna be a tight fit. What I hope they do is organize some kind of event at a bigger venue to accomodate people. Just keep in mind, you have to get all the way from uptown manhattan to across the tunnel to the game. Usually 40 mins or so, but that day? It will take longer.)

Maybe as game gets closer, we can arrange to meet at a sports bar that's close to Met Life? There are plenty of restaurants and bars around there.

red grenadine

Reaction score
Sorry I meant like a pre-party before the stadium? I'm going to the game but looks like they've banned tailgating?

JonRud

Reaction score
there is no tailgating in the sense you can't have a grill and can't set up chairs. I don't think they can really stop people from hanging out in a group and drinking beers and eating sandwiches. or maybe then can I don't know I've never been to the Super Bowl.

dmacca

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Thanks for the post, really informative! I was just wondering if any of the New York Hawks had any advice on a good bar in NYC to watch the game, I can't get a ticket. I know of Carlow East and Feile's - the 2 'supporters' bars, but i'm sure they will be jammed - any other great places to watch out there?
Anyone else planning on staying downtown to watch the game?

Cheers

seahawksny

Reaction score
What about meeting sometime during the week . like a jawk rally in the city. Preferably kid friendly cause id like to bring my 10 and 8 year old in seahawks gear. Isn't Stephen A or other ESPN anchors broadcasting live in Bryant park? That's what I heard

Riley12

Reaction score
I'm bringing my children (19 and 16) with me to NYC and the game, but plan on a Saturday afternoon visit to Carlow East just to see the place.