NBC SPORTS picks niners to cruise

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
NBC SPORTS picks niners to cruise
Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:28 pm
  • picked san fran 8 - 1 (only priscoe picks seattle)
    we stand no chance because we lost once at home after two years to Arizona,
    so you know, we are a push over
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/features/w ... pert/picks
    We are the 2014 Superbowl champions and it can never, ever be taken away.
    Greatest defense in NFL history.
    Seeker
    NET Veteran

Re: NBC SPORTS picks niners to cruise
Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:30 pm
  • Wow, only Prisco picks the Hawks? That is really going to mess with the emotions of a lot of people on here
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:30 pm
  • Seeker wrote:picked san fran 8 - 1 (only priscoe picks seattle)
    we stand no chance because we lost once at home after two years to Arizona,
    so you know, we are a push over
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/features/w ... pert/picks

1. That's CBS

2. That's against the number. If you look at the "staight up" picks, all but two pick the 'hawks. One that didn't is the usual suspect Beech.
    Polaris
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:31 pm
  • my bad, this is against the spread. different straight up.
    Seeker
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:32 pm
  • dang it you typed faster than me, I was tryna put that. yeah I clicked straight up and it was a lot closer.
    Seeker
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:33 pm
  • You're looking at the spread betting. If you click on 'Straight Up' picks, it's 6-2 in favour of Seattle.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:35 pm
  • That's pretty stunning. But if I have to choose between talking heads and people that are putting their hard-earned money down, I'm gonna go with the Vegas 3.5 Seahawks line every time. ALWAYS take betting odds over so-called "experts".

May you Rest In Peace Les, my friend...
    :les:
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:39 pm
  • BlueThunder wrote:That's pretty stunning. But if I have to choose between talking heads and people that are putting their hard-earned money down, I'm gonna go with the Vegas 3.5 Seahawks line every time. ALWAYS take betting odds over so-called "experts".

Not only that but the "professional" money has been on Seattle. The 'insider/professional' money doesn't think that 3.5 is enough for Seattle's homefield advantage, but San Fran (along with Dallas) is one of those "public" teams who will get a lot of money thrown at them because they are San Fran. The line accounts for this.
    Polaris
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:51 pm
  • We have come so far this year are we still at all concerned about what anyone else thinks about this game? These are 2 damn good teams and it will come down to who plays the best and who gets a few lucky breaks.

I would not bet money on this game and I will not be surprised no matter who wins.
    * NET Staff *

Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:06 pm
  • Hawkstorian wrote:I would not bet money on this game and I will not be surprised no matter who wins.

Yup. It comes down to only two possible outcomes for us Seahawks fans:

Either...

1. unbridled euphoria :240039: :thirishdrinkers: :179417: :229031_cheers: :moon.: :kool-aid: :fam: :chug: :229031_thewave: :jd:

or

2. The depths of hell :34853_doh: :evil: :pukeface: :177692: :229031_shrug: :angry017: :cussing: :Dunno: :frown: :ohwell2: :waah: :jd: :jd: :jd:

May you Rest In Peace Les, my friend...
    :les:
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:14 pm
  • It's definitely not as one-sided as some articles might try to make it out to be. This game could quite honestly be a lot better than the Super Bowl itself. These teams are by far the two toughest kids on the block, and I won't be surprised by anything I see on Sunday.
    Nickel
    NET Bench Warmer

Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:25 pm
  • This is one of those weeks where if you like Seattle, you probably should either buy a point or take the money line. That hook may kill you.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:30 pm
  • Hasselbeck wrote:This is one of those weeks where if you like Seattle, you probably should either buy a point or take the money line. That hook may kill you.

If I had to advise (for entertainment purposes only), if you like Seattle (and esp if you think it will go somewhat like the other two games in Seattle), I would take the OVER.

39 points is a very low point total.

There are one of three ways this game is likely to go:

1. Seattle blowout (or substantial win)
    2. Close win by Seattle
    3. Close win by San Fran

I don't see a San Fran blowout by any measure.
    Polaris
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:32 pm
  • Polaris wrote:
    Hasselbeck wrote:This is one of those weeks where if you like Seattle, you probably should either buy a point or take the money line. That hook may kill you.

If I had to advise (for entertainment purposes only), if you like Seattle (and esp if you think it will go somewhat like the other two games in Seattle), I would take the OVER.

39 points is a very low point total.

There are one of three ways this game is likely to go:

1. Seattle blowout (or substantial win)
    2. Close win by Seattle
    3. Close win by San Fran

I don't see a San Fran blowout by any measure.

I wouldn't touch the over personally. In a blowout, I still don't see the total going over 39. And you're basically banking on both sides being in the 20's .. which I can't really buy either.
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:35 pm
  • Whether SF +3.5 or Seattle - 3.5, the winner of such games cover the spread 75% of the time. So whether they know it or not, in making such a prediction, they are giving the 9ers a 75% chance of winning this game (outright). I would like to pose this stat to them, then ask them again who they think will cover (?). I'd bet several would change their prediction and would subsequently...GO HAWKS!
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:35 pm
  • Hasselbeck wrote:I wouldn't touch the over personally. In a blowout, I still don't see the total going over 39. And you're basically banking on both sides being in the 20's .. which I can't really buy either.

To each their own, but 39 is a very low total. I think we all agree that if Seattle gets 20 (or more) points in this game, then Seattle wins. If you think it won't be a blowout, then by all means try to buy the point or bet it straight up.

OTOH, if you think that the game will get out of hand and that San Fran gets a TD or even two or a TD+FG then the over is quite possible. The New Orleans game was a stout defensive game but the point total was 38.
    Polaris
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:37 pm
  • Polaris wrote:
    Hasselbeck wrote:I wouldn't touch the over personally. In a blowout, I still don't see the total going over 39. And you're basically banking on both sides being in the 20's .. which I can't really buy either.

To each their own, but 39 is a very low total. I think we all agree that if Seattle gets 20 (or more) points in this game, then Seattle wins. If you think it won't be a blowout, then by all means try to buy the point or bet it straight up.

OTOH, if you think that the game will get out of hand and that San Fran gets a TD or even two or a TD+FG then the over is quite possible. The New Orleans game was a stout defensive game but the point total was 38.

Well.. as an example.. the Week 2 blowout still only hit 32 total points.

I can see this game being a 20-17 type game.. 24-14.. etc. Would be very surprised if both offenses scored over 20.
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:38 pm
  • Seeker wrote:my bad, this is against the spread. different straight up.

Funny the local bookie can't get anyone to pick the hawks around my area . I know him well he gonna take a bath in money when the hawks win
    Last edited by hawkfannj on Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    hawkfannj
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:38 pm
  • HawkWow wrote:Whether SF +3.5 or Seattle - 3.5, the winner of such games cover the spread 75% of the time. So whether they know it or not, in making such a prediction, they are giving the 9ers a 75% chance of winning this game (outright). I would like to pose this stat to them, then ask them again who they think will cover (?). I'd bet several would change their prediction and would subsequently...GO HAWKS!

Bwah? It's true that if you have a line of 3.5 points then the winner will cover the spread 75% of the time. [It's worth noting that Seattle actually won against the spread vs San Fran in San Fran.] However, that doesn't mean Vegas is predicting that San Fran will win 75% of the time.

Near as I can tell, it means that Vegas is expecting Seattle to win about 55% of the time or so.
    Polaris
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:40 pm
  • Even just against the spread those picks are stupid.

"Ed Salmons, head football oddsmaker at the LVH SuperBook, is convinced the point spread on the NFC Championship Game is short. "

http://linemakers.sportingnews.com/nfl/ ... es-weather

Seattle has beat the spread against SF at least the last 3 times in a row and Seattle just capped the second year in row with the best record in the NFL against the spread. Vegas typically underrates Seattle. It's worse against SF with all that money and franchise fame.
    formido
    NET Starter

Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:41 pm
  • Are any of those "experts" ex-players, or just "journalists"...

Journalism is dead, BTW.
    "We walked our (pedestrian) ass to the Super Bowl"
    Angry Doug
    "Friction caused this blossom of love to happen"
    Earl Thomas.
    "Check your PMs"
    Pithy Radish.
    “That 54, Bobby, man, he "effing" fast as "eff", man"
    Frank Gore
    Rocket
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:43 pm
  • formido wrote:Even just against the spread those picks are stupid.

"Ed Salmons, head football oddsmaker at the LVH SuperBook, is convinced the point spread on the NFC Championship Game is short. "

Seattle has beat the spread against SF at least the last 3 times in a row and Seattle just capped the second year in row with the best record in the NFL against the spread. Vegas typically underrates Seattle. It's worse against SF with all that money and franchise fame.

Agreed and that's pretty much what I was saying earlier about San Fran being a "public" team (like the Cowboys). A LOT of dumb money flows into San Fran (and Dallas) simply because they are San Fran and that makes lines more favorable for San Fran than they should be. As you note, even without the San Fran effect, insider "pro" money has done very well with Seattle this year. Seattle has an impressive record against the number (and as I noted earlier actually beat the number vs SF even in SF).
    Polaris
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:04 pm
  • formido wrote:Even just against the spread those picks are stupid.

Article says basically what I was saying

"Lay the extra juice to get Seattle at -3, and make a smaller play on the UNDER."

I myself would wait until Sunday .. cause I think the line will actually go to -3 with all the late Niners money (ESPECIALLY if Percy is out) .. then you can buy that half point to get away from a push.
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:05 pm
  • Missing_Clink wrote:Wow, only Prisco picks the Hawks? That is really going to mess with the emotions of a lot of people on here

People see what they want to see, and feel what they want to feel. Prisco's actually got a pretty good record of having our backs a lot of the time the past couple years.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:18 pm
  • Polaris wrote:
    HawkWow wrote:Whether SF +3.5 or Seattle - 3.5, the winner of such games cover the spread 75% of the time. So whether they know it or not, in making such a prediction, they are giving the 9ers a 75% chance of winning this game (outright). I would like to pose this stat to them, then ask them again who they think will cover (?). I'd bet several would change their prediction and would subsequently...GO HAWKS!

Bwah? It's true that if you have a line of 3.5 points then the winner will cover the spread 75% of the time. [It's worth noting that Seattle actually won against the spread vs San Fran in San Fran.] However, that doesn't mean Vegas is predicting that San Fran will win 75% of the time.

Near as I can tell, it means that Vegas is expecting Seattle to win about 55% of the time or so.

I didn't say Vegas was picking SF to win 75% of the time. First off, Vegas wants SF to win exactly 50% of the time. 2nd, I believe the OP was talking about a team of panelists. It is them, that perhaps unknowingly, are picking SF to win (75% of the time).

Further, you are correct, SF won in SF but failed to cover. That was not a play off game. The 75% rules I suggest applies to the play offs, regardless of spread total (-3.5...-10...what have you).
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:22 pm
  • Who didn't see this coming.

Every media outlet around has made a story about how awful the Hawks are and how fantastic the Niners are.

Shit is going to get real and the NBC crew will be reminded of why the Hawks are 15-1 in the last two years at home.

My god they lost a game at home and a 2 point squeaker in SF. Obviously they are going to lose.
    "The life you lose may be your own" - Drunk dude at the bar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:23 pm
  • loafoftatupu wrote:Who didn't see this coming.

Every media outlet around has made a story about how awful the Hawks are and how fantastic the Niners are.

Shit is going to get real and the NBC crew will be reminded of why the Hawks are 15-1 in the last two years at home.

My god they lost a game at home and a 2 point squeaker in SF. Obviously they are going to lose.

Media Memories are short. The Niners are the sexy flavor of the month. They were the sexy flavor of the Month after week 1 of the regular season too.

We know how that went.....
    Polaris
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:27 pm
  • Hasselbeck wrote:
    formido wrote:Even just against the spread those picks are stupid.

Article says basically what I was saying

"Lay the extra juice to get Seattle at -3, and make a smaller play on the UNDER."

I myself would wait until Sunday .. cause I think the line will actually go to -3 with all the late Niners money (ESPECIALLY if Percy is out) .. then you can buy that half point to get away from a push.

I am a fan of buying numbers down but I wouldn't buy this number down. Just bet the team you believe will win. The winner will cover many more times than not. Personally, I see us winning by no less than a TD and a score of 27-17, I think quite likely. I would actually be confident enough to parlay the over (39) with Seattle -3.5. But that's just me. YMMV.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:24 pm
  • Polaris wrote:
    loafoftatupu wrote:Who didn't see this coming.

Media Memories are short. The Niners are the sexy flavor of the month. They were the sexy flavor of the Month after week 1 of the regular season too.

Exactly that.

Plus they had an extra game to win, giving the perception of even more momentum
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:30 pm
  • What is really funny is that Heath Evans, who usually counters the Hawks has mentioned that very thing. He even pointed to the game in SF, saying that if anyone has confidence or backing for their ability it is Seattle.

He said;

"that game in SF went back and forth and the Niners won by what? 2? When the Niners came to Seattle they got their heads smashed twice. You think that the Niners are ready for that? I'm taking Seattle at home every time"

That was Heath Evans, who is impossible to convince at times. Pointed out that the Saints weren't even in the game until the end and that most of that was garbage. Of all people, Evans..
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:30 pm
  • loafoftatupu wrote:
    Polaris wrote:
    loafoftatupu wrote:Who didn't see this coming.

Exactly that.

Plus they had an extra game to win, giving the perception of even more momentum

Exactly and diminished returns are in their immediate forecast. They just put a lot of cross country miles on and regardless of how 'pumped" they are, they can't be rested. In this case, where both teams know each other so well, our additional rest should be a huge (if not deciding) factor.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:34 pm
  • loafoftatupu wrote:What is really funny is that Heath Evans, who usually counters the Hawks has mentioned that very thing. He even pointed to the game in SF, saying that if anyone has confidence or backing for their ability it is Seattle.

He said;

"that game in SF went back and forth and the Niners won by what? 2? When the Niners came to Seattle they got their heads smashed twice. You think that the Niners are ready for that? I'm taking Seattle at home every time"

That was Heath Evans, who is impossible to convince at times. Pointed out that the Saints weren't even in the game until the end and that most of that was garbage. Of all people, Evans..

Dunno what's up with Evans kissing Hawkass these days. Even picked us to beat the Pats (if that game were to be played). With his ridiculous (and undeserved) ego, he may be delusional enough to think he's in consideration for the ring of honor or something.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:28 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information