If it is a Field Position game

Largent80

Reaction score
The Hawks have the advantage.

Ryan is the best punter in the league, and Haushka is unparalleled.

In Sept. we had one punt blocked on a punt where someone in the stands blew a whistle.

They aren't getting that break this time.

sutz

Reaction score
Agreed, but we've had a couple of other kicks blocked this year, too. I still get nervous when they line up for one. ;)

Weadoption

Reaction score
If Harvin plays the return game this thread might have some truth, in terms of special teams being an advantage for Seattle.
But Job Ryan's punt average is in the league's cellar.....so um.....potato.

sutz

Reaction score
Weadoption":8wthxs4l said:
If Harvin plays the return game this thread might have some truth, in terms of special teams being an advantage for Seattle.
Gross or net? Factor in a near record breaking number of fair catches and return yards and it still favors us, I think.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
Weadoption":2o992wzx said:

Excuse me but we lead the league in punt return yardage and would have broken that record if for not 1 vs. the Cards.

amill87

Reaction score
Don't fool yourself, Ryan can still drive it. He intentionally took some distance off this year as its what the coaches wanted. I want to say we have seen some longer punts recently.

Our advantage isn't going to be Ryan or Haushcka. It will be Tate. Their punter is just as good if not better than Ryan but Tate is the better punt returner.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
I've been telling friends all week that special teams will likely be the reason Seattle pulls this out in statement fashion.

HoRneR

Reaction score
I feel like the 49ers have the punter and field goal kicker advantage but its ok that you have your own opinion.

mikeak

Reaction score
Largent80":2pe4kq0z said:
Weadoption":2pe4kq0z said:

Excuse me but we lead the league in punt return yardage and would have broken that record if for not 1 vs. the Cards.

Return yardage is completely separate from net punting yards.

If you punted every time straight out of bounds for a 1 yard punt you would have 0 return yards against you. Thinking it still wouldn't be a good tactic........

Seeker

Reaction score
Weadoption":187rsgc0 said:
this is how numbers lie to you people.
ryans low punt average is due to a scheme change, something they have talked about multiple times this year, something that almost had them breaking records.

kick it shorter with a fast coverage team and teams can't return it as many yards. all those booming touchbacks resulted in free 20 yard starts.

kicking it to the 10 and tackling them at the 15 is much better.

ceej22

Reaction score
Weadoption":32q9xysn said:

As proven in the AZ game Ryan can still boot the crap out of it. He has been asked to shorten his punts to prevent returns. What that has resulted in is punts averaging 39.2 net yards. His career average is 40.1. So he gives up 1 more yard on his punts vs his career average while preventing a disastrous punt return TD or even 40 yard return. See below for his yearly net. And for reference his net is 5 yards below league leader this year and is usually 2-5 yards behind every year. Hardly a big factor in the field position game in terms of averages. HUGE advantage in terms of average return yards which right now is at 3.9...#2 in the league.

2006 - 38.5
2007 - 42.5
2008 - 41.4
2009 - 38.7
2010 - 37.3
2011 - 39.3
2012 - 40.8
2013 - 39.2