Thursday Percy updates thread

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • 652cHAWK wrote:
    To note, the Dr.Herring quoted in that section is one of the Seahawks team physicians. He also states;

The player's history of injury and other issues come into play

Which does not bode well in Harvin's case, although we shall see tomorrow.

I think that the history of injury here is more along the lines of previous concussions. The more you have the more apt it is that you will take longer to recover. I don't believe Percy has a concussion history.

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Basis4day wrote:
    There is no set schedule, at least not in the way you are inferring.

The team is cautious with all injuries and take the league's focus on "taking the head out if the game." You need look no further than Kam Chancellor learning to hit the right way.

They're following the rules of the protocol. There is honestly nothing else to go on. You can't compare two different concussions on two different players or attempt to infer what stage he is in. Even if he doesn't end up playing, there were no facts to make that inference now with the information available.

I know no one is going to feel better about that and the want definitive answers. There really is nothing more to learn on the subject, even if Sean Dimond sends out a tweet.

Actually that does make me feel better :)

Beer Hawk
    NET Rookie

Re: Thursday Percy updates thread
Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:26 pm

Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:27 pm
  • Migraines are not concussions.
    "John Schneider is...half ninja assassin, half shark. This
    man does not screw around...So glad he is our GM."
    - PGunning101
    gargantual
    NET Veteran

• kidhawk wrote:
    652cHAWK wrote:
    To note, the Dr.Herring quoted in that section is one of the Seahawks team physicians. He also states;

The player's history of injury and other issues come into play

Which does not bode well in Harvin's case, although we shall see tomorrow.

I think that the history of injury here is more along the lines of previous concussions. The more you have the more apt it is that you will take longer to recover. I don't believe Percy has a concussion history.

Stop using common sense, that's not the hip thing to do around here :D
    "Our Quarterback is a Bad Man!" - Michael Robinson
    Foghawk
    NET Rookie

Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:28 pm
  • we won 12 games WITHOUT him- whats the fuss
    seahawksny
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:29 pm
  • Percy doesn't need practice. Never was fond of practice. I think he will play but won't be a major part of game plan.
    seadoc30
    NET Rookie

Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:31 pm
  • seahawksny wrote:we won 12 games WITHOUT him- whats the fuss

We did, but we wouldn't have won half of those games with the this crappy offense we have currently.
    seadoc30
    NET Rookie

Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:41 pm
  • HawkFan72 wrote:PFT said that Percy did not pass his Wednesday tests.

Harvin went to see doctors on Wednesday, but he hasn’t passed the test mandated by the league’s protocol for concussions and will need to also pass another test to get cleared for Sunday’s game.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/16/percy-harvin-still-not-cleared-to-practice/

This is kinda how I'm reading into what Pete's saying.

Yesterday he said at his presser that we'd know more after Percy's concussion testing in the afternoon. The only thing that could have prevented him from not practicing today was failing yesterday's tests. This doesn't give me much hope that he'll all of a sudden pass today's test........which is probably the last day he can pass and Pete still let's him play. I can't see him passing late tomorrow afternoon and Pete playing him Sunday with one day of practice.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:46 pm
  • HawkFan72 wrote:PFT said that Percy did not pass his Wednesday tests.

Harvin went to see doctors on Wednesday, but he hasn’t passed the test mandated by the league’s protocol for concussions and will need to also pass another test to get cleared for Sunday’s game.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/16/percy-harvin-still-not-cleared-to-practice/

What he's saying is he hasn't passed the final test which allows him him to participate fully in practice.

There are numerous tests he needs to pass to get there. No information is available to dictate which stage of the protocol he is currently in.
    Again, i'm not trying to convince anyone that he is going to play. I am trying to convince people that we don't have enough information to make a declaration either way.
    Give me some damn skittles...
    Basis4day
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:49 pm
  • Remember that one time in band camp when everybody said Percy was going to be IR'd

:3-1:
    Foghawk
    NET Rookie

Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:51 pm
  • Foghawk wrote:Remember that one time in band camp when everybody said Percy was going to be IR'd

:3-1:

Im sure glad we traded for Jared Allen.
    Basis4day
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:02 pm
  • Surely if he is still going through the tests then surely he has a chance ? Or else they'd have ruled him out already?

Either way still think the defense and 12th man will be to much to handle for 49ers!
    seany_seahawk5
    NET Bench Warmer

Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:05 pm
  • If he didn't practice at all today, I can only imagine that means he's OUT for Sunday. But I'm not an expert.

From reading the protocol, there is an escalation of physical activity that needs to take place before a player is cleared for a game. Typically, this goes from the player being in Limited Practice on Wednesday/Thursday (check his response to physical activity) and then a Full Practice on Friday (check his response to the escalation of activity). If he's completely out today (and not limited), that would mean there aren't enough days left to go through that escalation process.

Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:08 pm
  • He can still practice tomorrow and get cleared for play on Sunday. It has happened in many cases this year. The rule reads like a guideline. The ultimate decision is with doctors.
    CallMeADawg
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:11 pm
  • Yeah, it's not over until he's held out on Friday.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:13 pm
  • seany_seahawk5 wrote:Surely if he is still going through the tests then surely he has a chance ? Or else they'd have ruled him out already?!

Even if Pete is going to rule Percy out, he's not going to tip his hand to Harbaugh. Make the Niners spend time preparing for Harvin, even if you're 90% sure he's not playing.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:14 pm
  • so tomorrow is d-day then...will be interesting. We need him in this game like no other...
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:18 pm
  • Some good news perhaps? Doug Ferrar was speculating that Harvin will be cleared to practice Friday because by keeping Percy's status in limbo, it becomes a big distraction to the team. They normally just eject the combatant and move on.
    seahawk12thman
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:39 pm
  • seahawk12thman wrote:Some good news perhaps? Doug Ferrar was speculating that Harvin will be cleared to practice Friday because by keeping Percy's status in limbo, it becomes a big distraction to the team. They normally just eject the combatant and move on.

Distractions are never a good thing.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:39 pm
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:Yeah, it's not over until he's held out on Friday.

This is correct. If Nick Hardwick can start limited practice on a Friday then why not Percy?
    Foghawk
    NET Rookie

Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:51 pm
  • David J. Chao, MD ‏@ProFootballDoc 3m
    No reason for concern yet on @Percy_Harvin not practicing. Most concussions are not cleared until Friday. Too early to tell @Seahawks

His bio: Former NFL head team physician with 17 yrs of sideline experience.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:52 pm
  • Nice find, D7! Thanks.
    45Hawker
    NET Rookie

Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:52 pm
  • Good find!
    CallMeADawg
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:54 pm
  • No two concussions are alike. That said, PFT is the TMZ of football. They try to make everything dramatic:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... oncussion/

Time is running short for Chargers center Nick Hardwick to get cleared in time to face the Broncos this weekend.

Hardwick is out of practice again on Thursday because of the concussion he suffered in last weekend’s victory over the Bengals.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -practice/

The Seahawks are running low on time to get wide receiver Percy Harvin back for the NFC Championship Game.

Coach Pete Carroll said Thursday that Harvin will not practice again on Thursday because he’s still awaiting clearance from doctors after suffering a concussion in last weekend’s victory over the Saints.
    Basis4day
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:54 pm
  • Cyrus12 wrote:so tomorrow is d-day then...will be interesting. We need him in this game like no other...

Not quite. Even if he's still not able to practice tomorrow, I believe he could still play if he were to pass tests after practice ended or passed his tests on Saturday. It's not the most likely scenario but he could be listed as questionable tomorrow and become a game day decision.

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:59 pm
  • Putting so much emphasis on PH is silly. We not only can but will win games ... BIG GAMES without great players.

We HAVE TO!!

And WE WILL!!!!
    ImageImageImage

"You kept believing, you kept fighting, you kept clawing and scratching
    and look what you freakin' did. Put that freakin' trophy up again!" - Pete Carroll
    tom sawyer
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:01 pm
  • Carroll has to know what his doctors are telling him and more likely than not, I think Percy Harvin is going to get cleared tomorrow. People keep saying Pete is keeping this close but he has to know and I don't think that is his style. Pete doesn't hide anything because he has not to hide. His doctors are not going to lie to him. I am pretty optimistic now.
    seahawk12thman
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:03 pm
  • Basis4day wrote:No two concussions are alike. That said, PFT is the TMZ of football. They try to make everything dramatic:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... oncussion/

Time is running short for Chargers center Nick Hardwick to get cleared in time to face the Broncos this weekend.

Hardwick is out of practice again on Thursday because of the concussion he suffered in last weekend’s victory over the Bengals.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -practice/

The Seahawks are running low on time to get wide receiver Percy Harvin back for the NFC Championship Game.

Coach Pete Carroll said Thursday that Harvin will not practice again on Thursday because he’s still awaiting clearance from doctors after suffering a concussion in last weekend’s victory over the Saints.

LOL - that is classic. Nice find.
    Beer Hawk
    NET Rookie

Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:25 pm
  • DavidSeven wrote:David J. Chao, MD ‏@ProFootballDoc 3m
    No reason for concern yet on @Percy_Harvin not practicing. Most concussions are not cleared until Friday. Too early to tell @Seahawks

His bio: Former NFL head team physician with 17 yrs of sideline experience.

nice!
    tleise32
    NET Practice Squad

Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:33 pm
  • No doubt Percy makes a differnece when he's out there. But we've beaten SF here in wk 2 without him , and barely lost in SF without him..

We beat a physical carolina defense in carolina without him.
    we beat a physical AZ/STL defense on the road without him.
    we beat a good Houston D on the road without him.

We're back at home now, I have no reason to believe we won't still be competitive with or without him Sunday...
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:40 pm
  • Just snatch some skinny guy off the practice squad, put a number 11 jersey on him, stick him in at flanker... and we're home free..
    Donn2390
    NET Rookie

Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:10 pm

Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:51 pm
  • That tweet makes me feel better.
    Shadyhawk182
    NET Starter

Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:52 pm
  • seahawk12thman wrote:
    VivaEfrenHerrera wrote:
    Basis4day wrote:What they "need" to do is follow the protocol. Concussions are serious. Percy's life is more important than fan desire.

Which is why in a sane world, Sean Payton's career within the NFL (or really any kind of organized football at all) would be over. If Percy does make it back, at least the Niners aren't the Rams or Ain'ts, and Coach Douche actually seems to respect the game enough not to encourage outright head-hunting.

Totally agree, even though he acts like a douche, he is a damn great coach and his players play by the rules. For that I respect Harbaugh.

Well, then he needs to reel in Fangio because I watched Willis purpously earhole one of our players at the Candlestick game.
    "I cannot believe this............ I am stunned right now. This is now a rebuilding year for us. Our offense is crap now"

Blitzer88 regarding trading Percy to the Jets
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:02 pm
  • With or Without Percy, we will prevail. This team is just too hyped and Russell is DUE for an amazing game.
    This will be Seattle's best game of the season. I expect a performance similar to how we trashed teams at the end of last year, putting 50+ on them.
    I expect all phases of the team to score: Offense, Defense and Special Teams. We MUST believe people. We must believe in this team. This is their chance. Can't work so hard , get home field advantage, come this close and fail ...
    Joe
    joeseahawks
    *The Prophet*

Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:14 pm
  • hawker84 wrote:No doubt Percy makes a differnece when he's out there. But we've beaten SF here in wk 2 without him , and barely lost in SF without him..

We beat a physical carolina defense in carolina without him.
    we beat a physical AZ/STL defense on the road without him.
    we beat a good Houston D on the road without him.

We're back at home now, I have no reason to believe we won't still be competitive with or without him Sunday...

Only problem with that rationale is you're banking on all variables remaining the same.
    For some goofy reason, they tried to run a finesse game plan against us last time they came to C-link, which was not good headwork. Too much complexity that requires a lot of communication.
    They're best off using a simpler game plan with power-running formations and short, chain moving passes, as AZ did. They have, since their game with us, shifted to more of that style of play, and the results are clear.
    Our hands will be full. It's 'big boy pants time,' and building a lead is almost a must, because if you try to grind it out with these guys you are immediately at a disadvantage.
    "I cannot believe this............ I am stunned right now. This is now a rebuilding year for us. Our offense is crap now"

Blitzer88 regarding trading Percy to the Jets
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:19 pm
  • Actually one big problem the 49ner are going to face this Sunday is that that (believe it or not) they ALWAYS have a 'finnesse' Offensive game plan. The 49ner offense has a huge number of "check with me" plays (where a play is two plays and requires a read and signal from the QB on the line to determine which play it is) and audibles.

Those plays are WORTHLESS in the Clink, and Kaep doesn't improvise nearly as well as Wilson and tends to take more chances when he does.

This is why San Fran has had a dismal record in Seattle of late and given what I've seen the last few weeks of the road, these critical aspects the San Fran offense haven't changed.
    Polaris
    NET Veteran

Previous

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:27 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information