Sidney Rice Quote

BigMeach

Reaction score
Sidney Rice told Michael Silver this about the Seahawks:

"It's where you want to be and when guys get here, they always end up asking, 'Why didn't I come here earlier?' And they never want to leave."

This tells me a few things but mainly lowers concerns I have about retaining players.
When you get a veteran like Sidney making statements like that you know guys are going to be willing to take the correct contract to allow them to stay with our Franchise.

Booyah.

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
did you see Michael Bennett's quote in the same article seemed as if he planned on staying in Seattle.
"People want to come here and play for Pete, He just lets you be yourself. And we're only gonna get better, too. We're so young man. It's gonna be great to see US grow."- Michael Bennett

kidhawk

Reaction score
I have heard many quotes this week about people taking less to come here. I just wonder if that will continue to hold true for those who are here after we get a ring? A lot of these guys who are taking less are doing so to get a ring. Once they get one will they move on to more money or stick around for more rings? It's an interesting question with no truly across the board answers.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
I can't imagine how it would not be unbelievably awesome in all ways to be a Seahawk

mikeak

Reaction score
There was a former NE player on ESPN the other day (I know shocking right :D)

He had 2 rings from NE then went to Detroit FOR THE MONEY. He even said it - when guys says it isn't about the money it is about the money.

You can create something that maybe makes guys take a slight bit less. You can definately create something where they take a bit less because they think they will win the ring. But as Kidhawk says - once they have won the ring what will happen then? I think we can get some other FAs cheaper but several of the ones on the team may then decide to simply go for the money.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Lynch Mob":2naac5yo said:
did you see Michael Bennett's quote in the same article seemed as if he planned on staying in Seattle.
"People want to come here and play for Pete, He just lets you be yourself. And we're only gonna get better, too. We're so young man. It's gonna be great to see US grow."- Michael Bennett
This is REALLY awesome. We need him back.

Reaction score
So the PROS/CONS lists players make for deciding to stay on in Seattle must be pretty interesting.

In my view:

PROS
--VMAC
--Great ownership
--Amazing fans and stadium facility
--Excellent coaching staff that helps players develop and grow, all the way up and down the roster EVERYONE is treated as important.
--Great community
--Exceptional brotherhood/family atmosphere
--Money is at least fair vs market
--Winning franchise with positive attitude
--Minimal media circus
--Everyone has an opportunity!

CONS
--Travel/road games is exceptionally tough from Seattle
--You gotta like the climate...if you are a 100% sunshine lover it'll be tougher to get up for work each morning
--Not a rabid media market like NYC, Miami, Chicago, etc if you an attention-seeker type.
--If you can't deal with your job not being guaranteed on pretty much a week-to-week basis, can be stressful if you're not in the 'com-PETE' mindset
--Can make more playing for a lesser team?

It's really tough to come up with cons...lol.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Lieutenant Dan":a61nsgas said:
So the PROS/CONS lists players make for deciding to stay on in Seattle must be pretty interesting.

In my view:

PROS
--VMAC
--Great ownership
--Excellent coaching staff that helps players develop and grow, all the way up and down the roster EVERYONE is treated as important.
--Great community
--Minimal media circus

CONS
--You gotta like the climate...if you are a 100% sunshine lover it'll be tougher to get up for work each morning
--Not a rabid media market like NYC, Miami, Chicago, etc if you an attention-seeker type.
--If you can't deal with your job not being guaranteed on pretty much a week-to-week basis, can be stressful if you're not in the 'com-PETE' mindset

Don't forget the lack of income tax

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Sidney's wrong. No one is going to want to go all the way to Seattle to play for that College coach with the fake rah-rah personality.

rpmischris

Reaction score
It makes me wonder what FA's this year are going to sign/re-sign with us.

I think we resign Bennet, Hauschka, Tate, and McDonald.

Guys that would be awesome to sign: Hakeem Nicks (on the cheap), Maclin, Geoff Schwartz

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2y6f3btn said:
Lieutenant Dan":2y6f3btn said:

In my view:

PROS
--VMAC
--Great ownership
--Great community
--Minimal media circus

CONS

Don't forget the lack of income tax

Right...you forget about it when you're used to it sometimes :) We don't have that here, either.

Guys like Sidney and Bennett must be amazing salesmen for recruiting friends in the league as FA's to check us out.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
I wish I remember where I read it, but a recent story described Pete's secret is getting players to believe and buy in like college guys, yet play like professionals. In Sherman's press conference (maybe Earl's too) he talked about the positive atmosphere and how it's all they know, as far as their experience in the NFL. The subtext was, "we don't especially care to find out what it's like out there." I could be reading too much into it, but that was the vibe I got. Golden is another guy who has said he wants to be here long term.

I won't be shocked if a guy or two or three goes elsewhere for the payday. Everyone has unique circumstances that go into those kinds of decisions. But it can't be denied that the Seahawks' locker room is one of the best in the business. Pete and John have set a precedent to take care of the guys who give 100%. Also, a lot of players want to be here. When FA's like Bennett and Avril come over from their respective dysfunctional messes, it reinforces the loyalty of our young guys. They hear stories about how it is in most places, and it doesn't sound as good as what they have here. After enough of those tales, our young, smart guys might value success and consistency more than the average FA looking for a big paycheck and a way out of a chaotic organization.

Plus, it's fairly common for people to experience a love-at-first-sight for the PNW.

mikeak

Reaction score
I assumed everyone saw it but maybe you didn't. PC was on sportscenter a few weeks ago and they opened up the segment with citing a survey that ESPN had done of NFL players and they stated that PC was the person that most players in the league wanted to play for......

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
mikeak":1ry2dqg9 said:
I assumed everyone saw it but maybe you didn't. PC was on sportscenter a few weeks ago and they opened up the segment with citing a survey that ESPN had done of NFL players and they stated that PC was the person that most players in the league wanted to play for......

That can mean only one thing......The best will want to come and play here. Let's give "props" to Russell Wilson while we are at it. His great attitude is key in that Locker Room.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Michael Robinson so was SO HAPPY to be back. He mentioned it several times and you can hear it in his pregame speeches. "It's tough on the outside man! You don't want to be there" "Make plays and DON'T be that guy!" "Don't be the guy on Tell the Truth Monday!"

He Loves it here (as if I live in Seattle :? ) and wants to stay. I hope that when he retires that he comes back here as a coach because he would be a great one. I bet Special Teams could use his energy.
G

Last year Golden said "I'm just glad to be a part of this." I'm positive that he will re-sign for reasonable money.

Another con about leaving Seattle, the cost of selling/moving from your old place and finding/ moving to a new one.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
HawkFan72":3i6sp0q7 said:
Sidney's wrong. No one is going to want to go all the way to Seattle to play for that College coach with the fake rah-rah personality.
You forgot gum-chopping.

Apparently, Pete's sideline gum-chomping annoys Whiner fans.

Shock2k

Reaction score
ivotuk":2h8ygqb5 said:
Michael Robinson so was SO HAPPY to be back. He mentioned it several times and you can hear it in his pregame speeches. "It's tough on the outside man! You don't want to be there" "Make plays and DON'T be that guy!" "Don't be the guy on Tell the Truth Monday!"

He Loves it here (as if I live in Seattle :? ) and wants to stay. I hope that when he retires that he comes back here as a coach because he would be a great one. I bet Special Teams could use his energy.
G

Last year Golden said "I'm just glad to be a part of this." I'm positive that he will re-sign for reasonable money.

Another con about leaving Seattle, the cost of selling/moving from your old place and finding/ moving to a new one.

On Robinson coming back to coach. Pete in one of his Twitter "ask the coach" video's he was doing in the offseason, they asked what Pete thought of MikeRob. He mentioned that Mike's greatest assets were his leadership and intelligence.

Would love to see Mikerob continue on with the team after his career. As a former starting QB for a major college program, full back for a multi-year 1000 yard rusher, and consistent team leader, I think he would make a great coach if chose that path. I think it inclinations lean more towards the media though.