Sidney Rice Quote

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Sidney Rice Quote
Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:33 am
  • Sidney Rice told Michael Silver this about the Seahawks:

"It's where you want to be and when guys get here, they always end up asking, 'Why didn't I come here earlier?' And they never want to leave."

This tells me a few things but mainly lowers concerns I have about retaining players.
    When you get a veteran like Sidney making statements like that you know guys are going to be willing to take the correct contract to allow them to stay with our Franchise.

Booyah.
    "Know thy self, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories." - Sun Tzu
    BigMeach
    NET Starter

Re: Sidney Rice Quote
Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:39 am
  • Wow. Cool quote -- gotta be Pete's doing, I guess. Looks like coach knows who to attract to build a winning environment.
    Q: “What is your thing?”
    A: “Lay back, kick back, mind my business, stay in my own lane.”
    VivaEfrenHerrera
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:40 am
  • did you see Michael Bennett's quote in the same article seemed as if he planned on staying in Seattle.
    "People want to come here and play for Pete, He just lets you be yourself. And we're only gonna get better, too. We're so young man. It's gonna be great to see US grow."- Michael Bennett
    Lynch Mob
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:43 am
  • I have heard many quotes this week about people taking less to come here. I just wonder if that will continue to hold true for those who are here after we get a ring? A lot of these guys who are taking less are doing so to get a ring. Once they get one will they move on to more money or stick around for more rings? It's an interesting question with no truly across the board answers.
    :les:

kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:50 am
  • I can't imagine how it would not be unbelievably awesome in all ways to be a Seahawk
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:51 am
  • There was a former NE player on ESPN the other day (I know shocking right :D)

He had 2 rings from NE then went to Detroit FOR THE MONEY. He even said it - when guys says it isn't about the money it is about the money.

You can create something that maybe makes guys take a slight bit less. You can definately create something where they take a bit less because they think they will win the ring. But as Kidhawk says - once they have won the ring what will happen then? I think we can get some other FAs cheaper but several of the ones on the team may then decide to simply go for the money.
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:52 am
  • You have to love what you do and there's no greater thing than loving where you do it.
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: DE Cassius Marsh
    XxxZagnutxxX
    * NET Alumni *

Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:52 am
  • Lynch Mob wrote:did you see Michael Bennett's quote in the same article seemed as if he planned on staying in Seattle.
    "People want to come here and play for Pete, He just lets you be yourself. And we're only gonna get better, too. We're so young man. It's gonna be great to see US grow."- Michael Bennett

This is REALLY awesome. We need him back.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

Proud member of the 38 club
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:08 am
  • So the PROS/CONS lists players make for deciding to stay on in Seattle must be pretty interesting.

In my view:

PROS
    --VMAC
    --Great ownership
    --Amazing fans and stadium facility
    --Excellent coaching staff that helps players develop and grow, all the way up and down the roster EVERYONE is treated as important.
    --Great community
    --Exceptional brotherhood/family atmosphere
    --Money is at least fair vs market
    --Winning franchise with positive attitude
    --Minimal media circus
    --Everyone has an opportunity!

CONS
    --Travel/road games is exceptionally tough from Seattle
    --You gotta like the climate...if you are a 100% sunshine lover it'll be tougher to get up for work each morning
    --Not a rabid media market like NYC, Miami, Chicago, etc if you an attention-seeker type.
    --If you can't deal with your job not being guaranteed on pretty much a week-to-week basis, can be stressful if you're not in the 'com-PETE' mindset
    --Can make more playing for a lesser team?

It's really tough to come up with cons...lol.
    Lieutenant Dan
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:11 am
  • Lieutenant Dan wrote:So the PROS/CONS lists players make for deciding to stay on in Seattle must be pretty interesting.

In my view:

PROS
    --VMAC
    --Great ownership
    --Excellent coaching staff that helps players develop and grow, all the way up and down the roster EVERYONE is treated as important.
    --Great community
    --Minimal media circus

CONS
    --You gotta like the climate...if you are a 100% sunshine lover it'll be tougher to get up for work each morning
    --Not a rabid media market like NYC, Miami, Chicago, etc if you an attention-seeker type.
    --If you can't deal with your job not being guaranteed on pretty much a week-to-week basis, can be stressful if you're not in the 'com-PETE' mindset

Don't forget the lack of income tax
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:15 am
  • Sidney's wrong. No one is going to want to go all the way to Seattle to play for that College coach with the fake rah-rah personality.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:17 am
  • It makes me wonder what FA's this year are going to sign/re-sign with us.

I think we resign Bennet, Hauschka, Tate, and McDonald.

Guys that would be awesome to sign: Hakeem Nicks (on the cheap), Maclin, Geoff Schwartz
    Once upon a time Little Red Manninghood,
    went for a walk in the forest.
    She was never seen again.
    End of story

*NorthHawk's view of SB XLVIII
    rpmischris
    NET Starter

Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:17 am
  • Scottemojo wrote:
    Lieutenant Dan wrote:So the PROS/CONS lists players make for deciding to stay on in Seattle must be pretty interesting.

In my view:

PROS
    --VMAC
    --Great ownership
    --Great community
    --Minimal media circus

CONS

Don't forget the lack of income tax

Right...you forget about it when you're used to it sometimes :) We don't have that here, either.

Guys like Sidney and Bennett must be amazing salesmen for recruiting friends in the league as FA's to check us out.
    Lieutenant Dan
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:47 pm
  • I wish I remember where I read it, but a recent story described Pete's secret is getting players to believe and buy in like college guys, yet play like professionals. In Sherman's press conference (maybe Earl's too) he talked about the positive atmosphere and how it's all they know, as far as their experience in the NFL. The subtext was, "we don't especially care to find out what it's like out there." I could be reading too much into it, but that was the vibe I got. Golden is another guy who has said he wants to be here long term.

I won't be shocked if a guy or two or three goes elsewhere for the payday. Everyone has unique circumstances that go into those kinds of decisions. But it can't be denied that the Seahawks' locker room is one of the best in the business. Pete and John have set a precedent to take care of the guys who give 100%. Also, a lot of players want to be here. When FA's like Bennett and Avril come over from their respective dysfunctional messes, it reinforces the loyalty of our young guys. They hear stories about how it is in most places, and it doesn't sound as good as what they have here. After enough of those tales, our young, smart guys might value success and consistency more than the average FA looking for a big paycheck and a way out of a chaotic organization.

Plus, it's fairly common for people to experience a love-at-first-sight for the PNW.
    HawkAroundTheClock
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:18 pm
  • I assumed everyone saw it but maybe you didn't. PC was on sportscenter a few weeks ago and they opened up the segment with citing a survey that ESPN had done of NFL players and they stated that PC was the person that most players in the league wanted to play for......
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:35 pm
  • mikeak wrote:I assumed everyone saw it but maybe you didn't. PC was on sportscenter a few weeks ago and they opened up the segment with citing a survey that ESPN had done of NFL players and they stated that PC was the person that most players in the league wanted to play for......

That can mean only one thing......The best will want to come and play here. Let's give "props" to Russell Wilson while we are at it. His great attitude is key in that Locker Room.
    Bigpumpkin
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:43 pm
  • Michael Robinson so was SO HAPPY to be back. He mentioned it several times and you can hear it in his pregame speeches. "It's tough on the outside man! You don't want to be there" "Make plays and DON'T be that guy!" "Don't be the guy on Tell the Truth Monday!"

He Loves it here (as if I live in Seattle :? ) and wants to stay. I hope that when he retires that he comes back here as a coach because he would be a great one. I bet Special Teams could use his energy.
    G

Last year Golden said "I'm just glad to be a part of this." I'm positive that he will re-sign for reasonable money.

Another con about leaving Seattle, the cost of selling/moving from your old place and finding/ moving to a new one.
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:46 pm
  • HawkFan72 wrote:Sidney's wrong. No one is going to want to go all the way to Seattle to play for that College coach with the fake rah-rah personality.

You forgot gum-chopping.

Apparently, Pete's sideline gum-chomping annoys Whiner fans.
    EastCoastHawksFan posted... "Trading for Harvin is by far the worst move John S has ever made." (March 18, 2014)

your World Champion Seattle Seahawks.. how sweet is that!!
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:54 pm
  • ivotuk wrote:Michael Robinson so was SO HAPPY to be back. He mentioned it several times and you can hear it in his pregame speeches. "It's tough on the outside man! You don't want to be there" "Make plays and DON'T be that guy!" "Don't be the guy on Tell the Truth Monday!"

He Loves it here (as if I live in Seattle :? ) and wants to stay. I hope that when he retires that he comes back here as a coach because he would be a great one. I bet Special Teams could use his energy.
    G

Last year Golden said "I'm just glad to be a part of this." I'm positive that he will re-sign for reasonable money.

Another con about leaving Seattle, the cost of selling/moving from your old place and finding/ moving to a new one.

On Robinson coming back to coach. Pete in one of his Twitter "ask the coach" video's he was doing in the offseason, they asked what Pete thought of MikeRob. He mentioned that Mike's greatest assets were his leadership and intelligence.

Would love to see Mikerob continue on with the team after his career. As a former starting QB for a major college program, full back for a multi-year 1000 yard rusher, and consistent team leader, I think he would make a great coach if chose that path. I think it inclinations lean more towards the media though.
    Shock2k
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:08 pm
  • Link to the article?
    PlinytheCenter
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:28 pm
  • Jay Cuter isn't my favorite player int he world but when he got his payday not long ago he seemed to have the right attitude about it, saying he didn't make a big deal really about the money because 'there's no way we'd ever spend that in a lifetime anways'.

I think if you create the right environment and let guys succeed and be who they are and grow you might be surprised to find how things could work out when you realize that no matter where you play you're going to make millions and be set for life.

If you're going to make tens of millions over a few years playing ball would you give up a little of it to be as satisfied as possible the whole time you're doing it, and having a chance to win?
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:31 pm

Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:35 pm

Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:23 pm
  • I think it was Sydney rice that said something like, "these young guys... They're lucky. This is all they know. Everywhere else aint like this."
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:43 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information