I haven't heard many analysts mention this fact

seahawksny

Reaction score
it is the fourth straight week that san francisco will be playing on the road. I would imagine fatigue will kick in, even though it is same time zone this week.
Its an abnormal schedule for an NFL team.

Any thoughts of how this will affect outcome of game? In Seattle's favor of course.

blue 22

Reaction score
If they beat us they deserve it. That is a tough thing to do for any nfl team.

Canuck49

Reaction score
I think it came up in some of the chats between Harbs and 49ers beat reporters and with some of the players. The party line is that the intensity and stakes of the playoffs allow you to overcome travel fatigue. We'll see. I think that's a tall order.

What worries me as a niners fan is playing two physical, bruising teams in consecutive weeks and 3 out of the last 4 games. I know no NFL team is a patsy. But the Cardinals in AZ, then Lambeau, the Carolina and now the CLink is physically and mentally demanding. Three of those teams are power teams on defence and can lay a beating on you. If we're able to win this game on Sunday it will be a pretty impressive feat for a whole bunch of reasons.

OP
OP
S

seahawksny

Reaction score
Canuck49":17tfe85a said:
I think it came up in some of the chats between Harbs and 49ers beat reporters and with some of the players. The party line is that the intensity and stakes of the playoffs allow you to overcome travel fatigue. We'll see. I think that's a tall order.

What worries me as a niners fan is playing two physical, bruising teams in consecutive weeks and 3 out of the last 4 games. I know no NFL team is a patsy. But the Cardinals in AZ, then Lambeau, the Carolina and now the CLink is physically and mentally demanding. Three of those teams are power teams on defence and can lay a beating on you. If we're able to win this game on Sunday it will be a pretty impressive feat for a whole bunch of reasons.

All valid points Canuck49. I would think it would affect your D the most. Will they be able to stop Lynch as he is so efficient in breaking tackles? Also on the other side, will Gore be able to run? Seattle's D, like SF thrive on swarming D. If Kaepernick is forced to throw, then I like Hawks chances because I just dont see that receiving core as talented as it is, moving ball downfield against our secondary like they did against Carolina and GB

Reaneypark

Reaction score
I think it will be a big deal in the second half. From what I've seen from the Hawks, I expect them to play really tough, conservative smash-mouth football in the first half and then come out with both guns blazing in the second half. Like blue 22 says, if the Niners do beat us fair and square, you have to admire that, they've had a tough row to hoe.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Canuck49":2cwwdmyt said:

I think you can even count the GB game due to the conditions. Obviously not the smash mouth style defenses of the others but that field had to have it's own degree of attrition.

No matter who wins it will be an epic success. The Niners for their playoff run to get in and beyond and the Seahawks for acquiring the #1 seed playing in the best division in football and followed by beating an 11-5 saints team and then a 12-4 Niners team to get to the super bowl.

A Super bowl victory by either team is required to complete it but even that lends to the credo of it by beating either Manning or Brady. A loss in the super bowl would flush any and all accomplishments.

Whoever wins will absolutely deserve to go to the big dance and own the honor of being the best in the west.

Canuck49

Reaction score
Good point about the conditions in Green Bay. The niners manned up and played well under those circumstances. They looked more like the cold weather team than the packers by the end of it.

The wear and tear on the defence is the big concern. But if you look at snap counts in Carolina and over the course of the season, the niners have been very good at spelling the key starters on the D line. Smith (both of them) and McDonald have played less while guys like Jerod-Edie, Dobbs, Dorsey etc play more. Even players like Skuta and Lemonier have been spelling Aldon and Brooks for stretches at at time. I read somewhere that Justin Smith only played 36 or 37 snaps against Carolina. That's a light workload for a player that tough. And that's been the pattern over the season. They learned a tough lesson in last year's superbowl run when the D wore down. They've been more diligent in resting them this season and in the playoffs.

I agree with earlier poster that we can expect a full dose of Beast Mode early. The key is getting penetration to make contact in the backfield or force him to stop his feet/change direction before he hits the hole and allowing the front seven to swarm. If Lynch gets through the line he is an absolute monster.

Gore needs to average at least 3.5 for us to win. Kaepernick needs to have fewer than 25 attempts. Balance is the key for the niners here. We have to be able to run well enough for the play action and read option to be effective. If we have to play catchup and throw, throw, throw we could get boatraced.

chihawk

Reaction score
You could have said pretty much the same thing about their game last week in Carolina. It was their third game in a row on the road with the last two being in Green Bay and Carolina....both long trips. They took care of business handily in Carolina....that's pretty impressive. I don't think they are all of a sudden going to fall flat now that they get a short trip up to Seattle.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Yep, my feelings are if they can be on the road and win that many straight and then come into the most intimidating atmosphere against arguably the best team in the NFL and beat us?

They absolutely deserve to win.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
blue 22":m2xdtsrj said:

That's what I told my bro in law, who's a die hard SF fan. If they can go through GB, Carolina AND Seattle on the road? Then I tip my cap.

It AIN'T happening!, but if for some miracle it does.......gotta give the Whiners credit, as much as it pains us.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
NFL Football is a mental game! Should the Hawks be able to "hit them in the mouth" in the 1st quarter by going up 10-0...go into the Half with a 20-7 lead, it will be downhill the rest of the game. The crowd will have taken its toll on their mental attitude.

tom sawyer

Reaction score
If they could beat us, and they won't! I won't give them credit for earning it, I would say they "lucked out" and they should have been able to beat us back in September as well if they were sooo good. :p

mikeak

Reaction score
4 weeks travel AND last game was East Coast Sunday. Seahawks are on one more day of rest with a bye week prior to that........

45Hawker

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3r64rhm5 said:
blue 22":3r64rhm5 said:
That's what I told my bro in law, who's a die hard SF fan. If they can go through GB, Carolina AND Seattle on the road? Then I tip my cap.
Totally agree. I've been trying to convey the same message to my friends to help ease the angst and anxiety they have about this game. It's OK to admit that SF is a good team, capable of beating us (they have). If they win 3 road playoff games to reach the SB, they deserve to be there, and our respect.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Should they pull off the unthinkable and beat us at home, not only will they have my respect, I will be rooting for them against the AFC. At least technically (as part of a bet).

Seeker

Reaction score
That panthers game has left them boys sore.