maxwell must have a strong game sunday

hawker84

Reaction score
In our 2nd matchup this season, Maxwell was on boldin quite a bit and did not fair well. To me this could be a problem, because in order to contain Boldin to some degree you have got to be physical with him and frustrate the heck out of him like sherman did. This is one game i wish BB was in there, i think Maxwell is the better cover corner, but this matchup requires BB's strength.

I think the niners will line up with Crabtree on Shermans side, and try to exploit this other matchup. So what do you do, cheat Thomas over, i don't think this will work because a lot of the catches were short outs or curls, But they were enough to move the chains.

What can Seattle do to help Maxwell because that last game Boldin beat him pretty soundly..

I think the world of maxwell's play this season, and i do think he's a good one, but Boldins just a beast and unless you're a very physical corner, you're going to have trouble..

Any thoughts?

Hawknballs

Reaction score
has maxwell not had a strong game yet? dude seems like he's an upgrade to browner as far as being a pure cover corner. obviously not the same press corner but i trust him in coverage more.

OP
OP
hawker84

hawker84

Reaction score
Hawknballs":2uzna0co said:
has maxwell not had a strong game yet? dude seems like he's an upgrade to browner as far as being a pure cover corner. obviously not the same press corner but i trust him in coverage more.

Yes he's had several why do you ask? I simply stated he did not fair well against Boldin, i also said he was the better cover corner of the two, but BB was far more physical...

Deafening Noise

Reaction score
Thurmond will pick up the slack for maxwell when he is in seeing as sherman will be on Crabtree and chancellor on Davis with Thomas punishing whoever does catch the ball

willyum

Reaction score
Boldins 1st catch: 9 yds on an out. Maxwell was playing 5 yds back and gave him a free release, but so did the rest of the D, press coverage wasnt called. Boldins going to make that play 9 times of 10 regardless who is covering him, provided the throw is accurate
2nd: play action, 20 yds on deep dig route. Yea Maxwell got beat pretty good. He didnt bite on the playfake, but was giving Boldin a good amount of cushion and when he cut his route inwards, he had Max completely out of position.
3rd: 10 yds on a quick comeback, caught in front of Earl. was just good execution timing by Boldin/Kap nothing Earl could do other than make sure he stopped him, which he did.
4th: 27 yds on the stop and go, excellent coverage by Sherman, but even better job by Boldin of going up and attacking the football. Also drew flag for holding on Sherm, got the better of him here.
5th: 9 yds on another out, pretty much the same thing as his first catch, Maxwell didnt press on this play as well but I assume this is due to Boldin going in motion.
6th: 18 yds, first ran a simple curl, but Kap extended it and Boldin was able to find a soft spot not really any one specific players miscue here.

so yeah i agree, all of his catches he was allowed a free release, gotta jam him like Sherman did all game in week 2, but to be fair on those plays Maxwell didnt press/jam because of a reason either play call or Boldins motion. Maxwell is also veryyy physical when he is called to jam. Hes by far the strongest physically in bench press

CANHawk

Reaction score
Deafening Noise":14clsur8 said:
Thurmond will pick up the slack for maxwell when he is in seeing as sherman will be on Crabtree and chancellor on Davis with Thomas punishing whoever does catch the ball

Good point. T3 was suspended last time we played SF, so that probably played a factor.

Given the multiple recieving threats SF has (yes that was kind of a compliment) I can see us running a lot of that cover 3 on those 3rd and >5 situations. Might be a little more manageable that way than trying to play man up (and won't leave them exposed to the Dom Capers "lets all turn our back on the running quarterback" phenomenon. Kam, Wagz and Thurmond can step up and jam at the line while playing the shallow zone and leave Maxwell, Thomas and Sherman to drop back and defend the 1st down. It might give up the intermediate completion via the soft spot in the zone, but that should hopefully get shut down before they can YAC it for the 1st. Max, Thomas and Sherman are all hella fast and should be able to get up and make the stop before they get going to far. for all that their guys are all pretty good recievers, I don't think any of them are really considered burners.

Really though, I'm not too concerned about Boldin. He's one of those guys who feasts on lesser competition, but dissapears against elite talent. Crabs and VD are the ones who deserve all the attention (and some antibiotics).

jblaze

Reaction score
Maxwell is a big physical DB as well, just not as big as BB. Maxwell had twice as many bench press reps (24) at the combine than Sherman, Thurmond or Lane.

I think he's a little less physical than BB but a much better cover corner. He'll be fine.

CANHawk

Reaction score
jblaze":j02ec62m said:
Maxwell is a big physical DB as well, just not as big as BB. Maxwell had twice as many bench press reps (24) at the combine than Sherman, Thurmond or Lane.

I think he's a little less physical than BB but a much better cover corner. He'll be fine.

Totally agree. Max is a great corner and he's going to be a big contributor on this D for a long time. LoB might have lost one of it's heaviest hitters in BB (#freebrowner) but, if you can believe it, I think they improved overall with the addition of BMax. SO much skill in this secondary. Pete is like the MasterMold for DBs; just keeps pumping them out like it ain't no thing...

Hawks46

Reaction score
CANHawk":24uubb3y said:
Deafening Noise":24uubb3y said:

Good point. T3 was suspended last time we played SF, so that probably played a factor.

Given the multiple recieving threats SF has (yes that was kind of a compliment) I can see us running a lot of that cover 3 on those 3rd and >5 situations. Might be a little more manageable that way than trying to play man up (and won't leave them exposed to the Dom Capers "lets all turn our back on the running quarterback" phenomenon. Kam, Wagz and Thurmond can step up and jam at the line while playing the shallow zone and leave Maxwell, Thomas and Sherman to drop back and defend the 1st down. It might give up the intermediate completion via the soft spot in the zone, but that should hopefully get shut down before they can YAC it for the 1st. Max, Thomas and Sherman are all hella fast and should be able to get up and make the stop before they get going to far. for all that their guys are all pretty good recievers, I don't think any of them are really considered burners.

Really though, I'm not too concerned about Boldin. He's one of those guys who feasts on lesser competition, but dissapears against elite talent. Crabs and VD are the ones who deserve all the attention (and some antibiotics).

I disagree. The games where we've crushed the Niners has been when we played press man and took away Kaepernick's favorite two options. Kaep is good, but he's a 2 read QB. Need proof ? Soon as Crabtree came back Davis disappeared. The games Davis was good, Boldin disappeared. Look at Kaepernick's numbers: he rarely has 3 good WRs on a day.....it's almost always 1-2. He also rarely throws checkdowns and that was always to Miller. I don't know if schematically the Niners don't throw to their RBs or if it's the QB.

We take away both those options and Kaep starts to look distressed in the pocket. Then he bails. AT that point he usually runs with it. IF we either sack him or stay in our rush lanes, he doesn't have anywhere to go. That's why he does so lousy against us.

Axx

Reaction score
Isnt maxwell graded as a top 5 cb in the nfl?
Hes earned my trust 100%

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
hawker84":2dwh2iy6 said:
What can Seattle do to help Maxwell because that last game Boldin beat him pretty soundly..
3 catches for 38 yards is beating Maxwell soundly?? Ok...

CANHawk

Reaction score
Hawks46":2rdknfno said:
CANHawk":2rdknfno said:
Deafening Noise":2rdknfno said:

I disagree. The games where we've crushed the Niners has been when we played press man and took away Kaepernick's favorite two options. Kaep is good, but he's a 2 read QB. Need proof ? Soon as Crabtree came back Davis disappeared. The games Davis was good, Boldin disappeared. Look at Kaepernick's numbers: he rarely has 3 good WRs on a day.....it's almost always 1-2. He also rarely throws checkdowns and that was always to Miller. I don't know if schematically the Niners don't throw to their RBs or if it's the QB.

We take away both those options and Kaep starts to look distressed in the pocket. Then he bails. AT that point he usually runs with it. IF we either sack him or stay in our rush lanes, he doesn't have anywhere to go. That's why he does so lousy against us.

Good point. We more than match up defensively with anything the 9'ers can throw at us in the passing game, so I'm not worried. Just spitballing some different ideas they might deploy to shut em down, but people infinitely smarter than me are making the calls on that, so we're in very good hands.

It's going to be hella fun to watch this one go down me thinks.

And it's going to be okay Blitzer. Just take deep breaths and think about Christmas. We'll get through it...

jeffjtk123

Reaction score
Its going to take a strong effort from each defensive unit to stop one another. Golden Tate is a good WR (he;s seriously a beast in madden 25 lol), not to mention Doug Baldwin.

I think the Hawks DB's style of play matches up well with Boldin. Physical Vs Physical. However Crabtree may be a different story. He has a great double move, which if you over-commit he will bun ya deep.

I still think the game is a toss up. I don't think, on paper, that one team has an advantage over the other overall. Every player will need to give 100%.

Seeker

Reaction score
when it comes to physical game BB > Maxwell and its not even close.
Maxwell is the man in coverage though (even that Cardinals catch in that lost).

I wish the matchups were like this

Crabtree - Maxwell
Boldin - Sherman
Davis - KAM FREAKING CHANCELLOR

seadoc30

Reaction score
I want one of those Kam killer hits on Bolden. He has turned into one cocky ass lately. If he gets one from Kam, he isn't going to catch the next one with so much ease, let alone get up and taunt.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Maxwell had an interception last time the Seahawks played SF. He'll do fine. Having WT3 will help. Now they can cover Davis, Boldin, and Crabtree with good CB. On the other side, the 49ers may be hurting in their secondary. Especially if Rogers and Wright can't play.

seadoc30

Reaction score
BB was born to guard receivers like Bolden( slow, strong, and trash talker). Wish we had him.

Axx

Reaction score
Seeker":1u086hnm said:
I wish the matchups were like this

Crabtree - Maxwell
Boldin - Sherman
Davis - KAM FREAKING CHANCELLOR
better plan, get chancellor to spy on kaepernick

Latest posts