I actually liked our offense vs Saints

Crizilla

Reaction score
I liked the idea of continuing to run the ball and run time off the clock. We were up early and the weather conditions were really poor. If we played more aggressive we might have given the ball back to brees too many times.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
I think that was the whole point. And, we would all remember that when the offense needed to get the job done in the fourth quarter, they cranked off a game-sealing scoring drive.

Tigwelds1

Reaction score
I agree, the first half the offense moved the ball very well. We settled for field goals more than I would prefer but they were generally effective. The second half was just an extremely conservative approach that made it seem like the offense had issues. Everyone saw what happened to the chiefs when they refused to play conservative and kill the clock. The offense still has the ability to move the ball and I think people should look at the first half of that game when judging what our offense is capable of more so than the second half where the defense pretty much knew what we were going to do in every play (except the converted 3rd to DB)

Ozzy

Reaction score
People tend to overreact about the offense. We scored just as many points and were close yardage wise to the niners in much worse conditions. Both QB's were wildly inaccurate saturday and the conditions played a huge part. Factor in how conservative Seattle got once they had the lead(which worked) and you get a bad outcome.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
What I like about our offense is that you can in general either shut down the run or the pass but very rarely both. Add to that a defense that can play lights out and you have a potent combination.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Crizilla":wei0qmla said:
I liked the idea of continuing to run the ball and run time off the clock. We were up early and the weather conditions were really poor. If we played more aggressive we might have given the ball back to brees too many times.

I had thought about this as well...

I think we will need to be a bit more open this weekend. but up nearly the entire game and dominating on defense (as well as the weather) I can see why Pete and Bevell worked the run game the way they did

HawkStar3

Reaction score
dopeboy206":32rbxblt said:
I didn't like our run defense...

I agree with this, however, the niners pass defense is nowhere near what the Saints present. That allows us to commit a little more to slowing that part of the game down.

Turn Kaep over and it is over. I like our chances.

GO HAWKS!

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The offense has some areas to improve on. They scored enough points to win. That's a plus. A minus is the redzone offense. Whatever reason they have not been able to correct the inconsistency in the redzone. Especially when they are within the 5 or 10 yard line. Once again they failed to convert a TD when they were 1st down and goal at the 4 yard line. They are too predictable in the redzone. That has been the problem all year. They usually settle for 3 points when they should get 7. That needs to be fixed because it can come to bite them in close games.

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
I re-watched the first half of the game last night (through the goggles of knowing the outcome and being relaxed) and really, we freaking dominated their asses in the first half. Yeah, we should have scored at least one more TD instead of a field goal in the half and if that would have happened the outcome would have never been in question. But after reading through some of the threads on this forum the last few days, watching that helped me re-align and feel a WHOLE lot better than listening (reading) all the crying and whining going on about arguably the best team the Hawks have ever fielded.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I was fine with how much we ran. I did not like how often we just ran between the A gaps. Look what happened when Lynch bounced outside for that long TD run.

God, we are so boringly predictable on offense.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
I didn't like the three and outs in the second half. We need to be able to convert 3rd and 4.

I also didn't like that RW wasn't able to roll out to his right because of Cameron Jordan. I think we could have figured out a way to make that work.

Otherwise the offense looked fine to me. Saints got very lucky at the end.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
falcongoggles":1mpvoawm said:
I like the first half. The second half...meh

the third quarter we were going into the wind with a 16 point lead.

The entire and obvious game plan was to run run run the ball and take time off the clock.

the 4th wasn't much different. We made a key pass on third down that led to the lynch TD that sealed the game away.

Otherwise Wilson made only safe throws and even those were slightly off target as he was probably overcompensating a bit to make sure there were no fluky turnovers. Lets not forget how many INT's happened last season as the ball bounced off a receiver into the arms of a defender, and those weren't in slippery windy conditions like this game was.

When you have the best defense in the league you don't put them in crappy short field situations with turnovers, you play conservatively in games like this and punt the ball if you have too. Sorry that that isn't exciting enough for everyone but some of us appreciate the W more than flashy and needlessly reckless playmaking.

Ozzy

Reaction score
We did dominate them in the first half. If you read the board you would think the opposite. The offense needs to play better but I'm not worried they did what they needed to do to win the game and we had zero turnovers. I love what I saw from harvin. Hopefully he plays.

Kaep has had 2 pick 6's dropped the past two weeks. That doesn't happen against Seattle.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
austinslater25":27dldxud said:
We did dominate them in the first half. If you read the board you would think the opposite. The offense needs to play better but I'm not worried they did what they needed to do to win the game and we had zero turnovers. I love what I saw from harvin. Hopefully he plays.

Kaep has had 2 pick 6's dropped the past two weeks. That doesn't happen against Seattle.

Well. we had a couple picks with at least some long returns dropped by our defense this week as well, two to chancellor anyways but that's ok. we pay him to hit not catch.

Schadie001

Reaction score
There is no doubt that our passing offense has just seemed like something is a little off right now. But I think many if not most of the people on the sports shows are forgetting a couple things with what we saw on Sat. First, we had a 16-0 lead coming out of the half. Second, we were going into the wind in the 3rd quarter with a lead. Carroll and Wilson both said that they were not going to do anything that would give up the ball in terrible conditions (pouring rain and high wind gusts) to let NO back in the game. If they got back it was going to be against our D which had been tough all day. Third, we had a lead in the fourth and when we needed it Wilson and Baldwin connected and Lynch sealed the deal. No need to get crazy with the ball, if it wasn't there or even if it was but it was close Wilson just wasn't going to force it and turn the ball over.

I would have to agree, you make Brees beat you in bad conditions and just play ultra conservative with the lead rather than dial it up and make a huge mistake. Just look at what "should" have happened when Brees was forced to dial it up. We
"should" have picked him off 2 more times (Kam dropped an easy pick and Thomas/ Maxwell also dropped an easy one). But of course you won't hear that on any show. All you will hear is that Seattle's offense has fallen way off and that we can't beat SF who haven't won in Seattle in two years, and didn't just lost but got it handed to them with and without Crabtree. But I still hope Harvin can play.

themunn

Reaction score
Has anyone pointed out that we had more total yards and only one less point than the Eagles in far harsher conditions?

The same Eagles team that "nobody wanted to face in the postseason", having won 7 of their last 8, averaging 33.25 points per game and 434.9 NET yards of offense per game in that span. They are one of four teams in NFL history to have 12 games with over 400 yards of total offense. They were first the NFL in rushing yards per game (160.4 per game), rushing yards per attempt (5.13 per play), yards per play (6.33 per play) and passing yards per play (8.09 per play) among other statistics.

And the Saints held them to 256 total yards, yet we managed 277 in much much tougher conditions.

Newsflash: The Saints are a pretty good team.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
nobody else wants to mention that we scored as many or more points than 5 of the other 7 teams playing this weekend and only one less than the 'best offense ever' in Denver playing a D that wasn't statistically nearly as good as NO all year.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Crizilla":qlvzamfq said:

Congratulations! Unlike so many of these other wailing chicken little manic depressives, you my good man GET IT.

We held the lead the entire game and were up 16-0 with less than 5 minutes to go. Marshawn was moving the ball at will on them and the defense was shutting the Saints down. That is our gameplan every game, and we executed to a T on Saturday. Listen to the post game interviews, pretty much the entire team was happy with the way that game went down because that was exactly the way they wanted it to go down. I think Mebane said that was the most complete game we played all year, yet errbody's skurred because something must be wrong.

Aside from a fluky final few minutes, we took that team to the wood shead.

But the fantasy football geeks look at Russell's stat line, assume he had a horrible game and wring their hands because something must be so terribly wrong. But you know what Russell is told to do in situations like those? The ones where they're up early, the defense is dominating and Marshawn is imposing his will on everyone..? PROTECT THE FOOTBALL. That is his #1 job, and how many turnovers did Russell have on Saturday? ZERO. Job well done. I'm not saying he played great, he put Harvin in some really bad situations and some of his throws were off target pretty bad, but he didn't give the ball away. He managed to stay true to the gameplan, and we came out on top because of it.

So guys... stop worrying. We got this. Go down to the pharmacy, get some Zoloft, have a long hot shower (clear the pipes if necessary), chill the F out and enjoy the bloody ride. Cuz teams don't get this far very often. Don't ruin it by acting like a clown.