Can we overcome our own OC in the next game?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
After an incredible performance by the defense, and a bit of luck in that the weather limited the effectiveness of the opponent's passing game (which was their strength and greatest weapon coming into this game).

Now we move on.

One more game but now the team we face is going to be better and I doubt we are going to be able to rely on the defense literally shutting the entire opposing team down for a full half or more. At some point we are going to need to be able to score, especially on a short field.

So the question remains whether this team can overcome its own OC in order to make it to the SB, since that is clearly the greatest obstacle we face.

Only by beating our own OC at his own idiocy can we expect to get to the big game.

Now can we? Can we be better than the very guy that puts the offensive pieces in place and calls the offensive plays? (Offensive being the key word since I am very offended that he even has a job. It is indeed offensive to anyone that has watched football for any reasonable amount of time)

Mjolnir

Reaction score
Personally, I think it would have been different if Percy was still playing in the 2nd half.
All the things I think Percy brings was true: the defense MUST acknowledge his presence which opens up the run (in some formations) and should open up the other WRs.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Yep we just need him to stay on the field. Our offense has not truly overcome the loss of Rice. Our playbook got real small when he went down and Russell's confidence took a hit as well. Bevel certainly opened up the book for Percy and the offense was back... until he got hurt again. Whether it be Rice or Harvin we need that one extra cylinder firing to make this thing run right.

HawkGANG

Reaction score
Why cant we rely on our defense? The Saints were the best offense remaining in the NFC. I agree that our offense needs to play better but our defense is our team, period.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
Can we get a HAARP device down here to fix some weather, or maybe shoot some chinese missiles into the clouds and get them to dissapear?

Nope.

FEED THE BEAST. Pound the rock all the way to NJ, and continue pounding until there is nothing left.

OP
OP
T

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
"Bevel certainly opened up the book for Percy and the offense was back... until he got hurt again"

So you are saying we cannot expect our OC to barely be average unless it has an alternate MVP type of receiver to use? Or our OC is so stupid that he could only gameplan assuming one of our WRs WHO HAS NOT BEEN HEALTHY THE WHOLE YEAR AND WAS A ? COMING INTO THE GAME, would somehow be the pivot point upon which our offense would rest?

Shocking.

Nevermind that we do have weapons that are reasonable, but we didn't bother to use TEs or throw to the FB, even though those have been weapons for us.

We can only rely on Bevell to go with the "game plan" because he isn't smart enough to adjust his approaches to the strengths and weaknesses of the matchups within the game? So we just go with whatever we planned before the game, even if it isn't working or hasn't worked the whole day?

Well that explains why he has a job, because clearly when you are only able to outwit 20% of the messageboard posters you are clearly a highly sought after commodity.

Our OC is a liability and that would have been true if we had Rice, or not.

ariel9302

Reaction score
watching the patriots move the ball right now makes me physically sick to my stomach. everything brady brings with his arm wilson cancels out with his feet, making brady and wilson pretty much par. yet we look like a JV version of the patriots even though we have equal talent across the board. hmmm, one pitch sweep to marshawn gets blown up in a critical situation, yup let's try it again!

Rocket

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":1plpnwpa said:
If Bevell leaves, I think Jim Zorn might be the guy.

He!! yes. He should have been the OC @ DeeCee, not the coach.
He'd be a great OC. Plus, it'd be Coolimundo™

Cartire

Reaction score
By the way. It wasn't pooring rain during the game and therefor Bevells fault. You remember when Percy had a ton of green during the screen but Wilson kept it because he was afraid to throw because of the elements? Yeah, that was Bevells fault. :sarcasm_off:

AF_Hawk

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":36b72fvf said:
I love scapegoating after a win and a horrid effort by the WRs.
This. Russell was definitely not on point either.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
HawkGANG":39hj8mvq said:
Why cant we rely on our defense? The Saints were the best offense remaining in the NFC. I agree that our offense needs to play better but our defense is our team, period.

49ers are better on offense and defense. There power-O makes the saints look like a JV team, we need to put up more points because the niners are stronk.

seahawksny

Reaction score
Not confident about next week. Game should not have been close today the way the d played

mjwhitay

Reaction score
Doesn't anyone see that this is Carroll? When we get a two score lead, the direction is to be conservative and rely on the defense. It's very clear. He says it himself all the time.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":3vjifs8b said:
I love scapegoating after a win and a horrid effort by the WRs.

I've gone on record and have no problem doing so saying that Bevell is absolutely atrocious at creating space for receivers. Almost very route we run requires the target to make a catch in traffic. I don't see man-beaters built into the passing game aside from a guy simply making a catch on his defender. Teams know they can press us and we wont beat them except for the occasional great athletic play like Baldwin's today. Bevel does very little to put these guys in position to succeed in regards to the passing game. Seems to me like it depends almost exclusively on athleticism.

I won't argue that our receivers didn't have a good day with those drops, but look at why they dropped them. How many guys today made a catch in space? Baldwin on 3rd and long? I saw that happen 10 times in the 1st quarter of the late game today.

MOCHawk

Reaction score
I'm not a Bevell apologist and I wouldn't trade RW for any QB in the league at this point, but it seemed especially in the first half that Russell was making some very conservative audibles to running plays. That may be a directive from the PC or DB, but in any case it looked to me that if they had fewer than 8 in the box, it was a run. We have no problem playing our base defense and making opposing offenses come at us, but we have been very conservative on offense. Maybe the weather dictated that, I dunno. Go Hawks.

olyfan63

Reaction score
SouthSoundHawk":14d0caly said:
Can we get a HAARP device down here to fix some weather, or maybe shoot some chinese missiles into the clouds and get them to dissapear? <snip>

We already did. Where do you think the weather we had came from? Did you really think that weather, with that timing, was a normal, natural occurrence?
Hoping for that warm-weather Carolina team. Wait til they see the weather we'll cook up for THEM.