Is it louder in the stands or on the field

zack803

Reaction score
This is my first time posting, I'm a die hard hawk fan. I've never been to a game because of how expensive it is. That and I live in a couple hours away. I'm just curious how loud it is in the stadium. Can you even hear each-other talk? I assume it's louder on the field.

SilkMonkey

Reaction score
When celebrating big plays or Hawks on D, you have to yell to talk to the people next to you.

Upper deck.

No idea about on the field, but the players all say its crazy bananas.

Vetamur

Reaction score
I assume its louder on field, where all the noise is pointed...

muxpux

Reaction score
i wasnt there for the romo botched snap, or the NFCCG, and was outside the stadium for the 2 Guiness attempts, but from my experience, its louder lower sections. i WAS there for an 07 playoff game, and the 05 False start game against the Giants as well as numerous others. but yeah, even the 300 level is loud on big plays. no idea about on the field. closest ive sat was about 12 rows up on the 50, hawks side, but it was a game where we went up early and it was never in question, so yeah.

253hawk

Reaction score
If you get down to sheer dB, it's louder in the stands (depending on where you're sitting and how loud your section is.) There's quite a buffer between the crowd and the field of play, so the overall volume is somewhat diminished by the time it reaches the players. However, it is also coming from all directions which is what makes communication for them difficult.

CLink is pretty loud but I've never had my ears hurt after a game or anything (and I still have near-perfect hearing after all these years, somehow.) It's something that really can't be described or compared to though; you have to experience it to appreciate the effect.

StorytellerMatt

Reaction score
I'll make an observation that will no doubt upset some people, as I'm more of a bandwagon as well as a newbie.

I went to my first ever game at the Clink a few weeks ago, had seats in the upper decks, and while it was definitely loud, It was no louder than some college stadiums I've been in, at least to me. I was all hyped up, anticipating a deafening roar, but I didn't really get it. I realized later that where we were sitting, the noise went up and out rather than bouncing off those awnings, so I imagine the real noise-pain occurs down below and on the field.

This is not a criticism of the fans, who I found to be some of the most amazing fans in the world, but rather an observation of the fact that we were sitting in such a place as to not appreciate the decibels as much as if we had been lower.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I went to the "seahawks family fun fest" over the summer. we were down on the field.

I have to say even the empty stadium was imposing.

When you're on the field, it feels MUCH smaller. and taller. Like it's looming over you. And even with a couple hundred people at hte fun fest (if that) you could hear how the sound bounced off the stadium back down onto the field.

When richard sherman talked about the 'physical toll' it can take on you, he's not joking. it gives almost an eerie vibe when you''ve got that stadium looming over you and the noise is crackling around you. I can't even begin to imagine what it's like when there are 70,000 screams at once and you're trying to talk to people.

StorytellerMatt

Reaction score
Hawknballs":3qgxr2d1 said:
I went to the "seahawks family fun fest" over the summer. we were down on the field.

I have to say even the empty stadium was imposing.

When you're on the field, it feels MUCH smaller. and taller. Like it's looming over you. And even with a couple hundred people at hte fun fest (if that) you could hear how the sound bounced off the stadium back down onto the field.

When richard sherman talked about the 'physical toll' it can take on you, he's not joking. it gives almost an eerie vibe when you''ve got that stadium looming over you and the noise is crackling around you. I can't even begin to imagine what it's like when there are 70,000 screams at once and you're trying to talk to people.

I admit, the stadium felt larger in the stands than it does when watching on TV. On TV, it looks like a smaller field, and like opposing offenses are running out of room, and the sound definitely booms like an explosion from those directional mics on the field. I'd love to go back and sit field level just to experience that.

BadgerVid

Reaction score
You local fans with a lot of home game experience...

If the weather Saturday gets really crappy, will it have a major effect on crowd noise/energy?

Opinions?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I was there for the Fail Mary game.. and it was sheer mayhem in there at times. I was basically screaming in my dad's ear just to tell him something.

This was in Section 131 btw.. no idea what the upper level is like (until Saturday) 8)

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
BadgerVid":2ug6qgqv said:

If the weather Saturday gets really crappy, will it have a major effect on crowd noise/energy?

Opinions?

No if anything I think it will just make it crazier.

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
I think it is louder on the field. I have sat in the 300 level and 2 rows up from the Seahawks Bench. It is incredibly loud and hard to talk to anybody no matter where you are at, however, when I was sitting in the second row, the crowd noise made me nauseated. It was the first time I have ever felt that way at an event. Now you could chalk it up to how I felt about paying $9.25 for the pyramid ale I bought but I am pretty sure it was the noise.

SaintsGuy

Reaction score
I actually work with LSU Football and have been down on the field for the games this past season, and I'd have to say it is at least just as loud down on the field.
Now I'm sure it isn't anything at all compared to y'all's stadium, there was only one game where my ears were actually ringing from the noise.
Also, cold and rain did bring the noise level down, but I sure hope the fans up there are better than LSU fans because even a slight mist sends them home for the game.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I can't answer the OP's question, but I have spent a lot of time in college football stadiums since I was a teenager. Lots of loud crowds with temporary muted hearing afterward that recovered.

I still have tinnitus from the 1st world record this year (Hawk's Nest).

The Clink really is that loud.

- bsd

minormillikin

Reaction score
SaintsGuy":i88kdmnf said:
Also, cold and rain did bring the noise level down, but I sure hope the fans up there are better than LSU fans because even a slight mist sends them home for the game.

I went to this season's home opener against the 9ers (first Guinness record game, as well). There was the long long weather delay in the first half. Thunder, lightning, and the rain was dumping hard.

From the covered 300 seats I was in, I got worried during the delay when all the lower seats and the hawk's nest emptied out. But.. When the players came back out, so did (all) the fans.

The 12th man rocked harder that rainy night than I had ever experienced. Even a one hour delay didn't stop us (may have helped... nothing to do during the delay than drink, after all).

Don't worry, Saints fan. No matter how bad the weather gets, the 12th Man will give your team the full, authentic 12th Man treatment.

Joey13091

Reaction score
I was in the nest that night. They made everyone out there move undercover. That was loud during that game.

I also went to the romo botched snap game. That was maybe imo louder at that point than the 9er game this year.

Riley12

Reaction score
BadgerVid":oef0k640 said:

Opinions?

Hard to say. I've been to regular season games where rains dampened the mood and noise.

But, this is a playoff game and those usually put all but the biggest regular matchups to shame.

chris98251

Reaction score
If you can find that article of the design the clam shell effect causes the noise to come to the field.

hawxfreak

Reaction score
It really ramped up for the nfccg just like it will be Saturday
At the nfccg you could yell to the person next to you and they'd say WHATTTTTT.
It was that loud
Romo botched snap was good but not nearly as loud
It was that intensity for the entire game in 05
They couldn't adjust