Up tempo offce/No Huddle offense

ZephyrHawk

Reaction score
I don't have the stats handy, but it seems Russell Wilson and our offense in general is pretty efficient running the 2 min offense. I understand we are a run-first offense, but wanted to get opinions on why we don't we see more up-tempo or No-huddle offense even as a change up?

Axx

Reaction score
they do in situations, but this teams philosophy is to grind out the clock.
WE ARE NOT THE NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
The offense is built around running down the clock. No huddle sorta defeats the purpose of that.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I think our offensive philosophy of the regular season will not continue through the post season. I believe we'll open up the offense more now that everything is on the line. I think we'll see a few new wrinkles and probably even a few extra Read Option plays where Wilson uses his legs for some decent yardage.

OP
OP
Z

ZephyrHawk

Reaction score
I understand that certainly - Run First offense, control the clock. But in games like Arizona or Rams (Monday-night game), when nothing was working - would that have made a difference just a change up?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
ZephyrHawk":2hlm9rd5 said:
I understand that certainly - Run First offense, control the clock. But in games like Arizona or Rams (Monday-night game), when nothing was working - would that have made a difference just a change up?

Because it compromises the defense. 3-and-out w/ no huddle puts the D back on the field with no rest. Pete's all about giving his defense an opportunity to win the game for him, even at the expense of his offense. It's a formula that's been working for him forever.

Earlier this year, I saw the Washington Huskies get destroyed by ASU because their no-huddle offense couldn't stay on the field and gassed their generally good defense. That would be like Pete Carroll's worst nightmare.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
SmokinHawk":1gvqvojp said:
The offense is built around running down the clock. No huddle sorta defeats the purpose of that.

Maybe it's time for a tweak here and there considering our offensive output last month?

sutz

Reaction score
I could see it, from time to time. It will never be a 'staple' of course, but Pete loves to innovate. Russ is getting good enough to make some of the playcalls anyway.

Bevell would probably be for a bit of it. Plus, they've had a couple of extra days to install something.

Hawks46

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2vifonol said:
ZephyrHawk":2vifonol said:

Because it compromises the defense. 3-and-out w/ no huddle puts the D back on the field with no rest. Pete's all about giving his defense an opportunity to win the game for him, even at the expense of his offense. It's a formula that's been working for him forever.

Earlier this year, I saw the Washington Huskies get destroyed by ASU because their no-huddle offense couldn't stay on the field and gassed their generally good defense. That would be like Pete Carroll's worst nightmare.

I get this, and it makes sense...but there's another side to it. Grinding it out with the run game is a great way to keep elite QB's like Brees on the sidelines, but it's also about wearing down the opposition's defense. Going to a more uptempo run game (not spreading it out and throwing the ball) would keep the same defensive package on the field.

For example, running a 2 TE set, we could run the ball more effectively, even against a team's base defense. But with our personnel, you can split a TE wide (Willson) or just throw out of a 2 TE set. Going uptempo would slow the defensive substitutions down and you could get favorable matchups against their LBers with your TE's. I've been wanting to see this since last year.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Wilson hasn't really been the same since Sidney Rice went down. Not sure if that's a coincidence, or if Wilson has a hidden lingering injury, or a concussion, or whatever.
A no-huddle offense puts a lot of pressure on a QB. If Russell isn't 100%, we wouldn't want to go there unless it was truly do or die.

Anthony!

Reaction score
olyfan63":5vb6polk said:
Wilson hasn't really been the same since Sidney Rice went down. Not sure if that's a coincidence, or if Wilson has a hidden lingering injury, or a concussion, or whatever.
A no-huddle offense puts a lot of pressure on a QB. If Russell isn't 100%, we wouldn't want to go there unless it was truly do or die.

Ahh Rice went down a long time ago like in game 8. He had 3 straight games of over 130 QB rating in a row after Rice went down. He really has not been the same since we clinched the playoffs which was the NO win. Since then the play calling has also been very different. When you have to beg your OC to let you throw a pass to ice a game you know you have a problem, and the problem is the OC and the play calling.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":g8tadhfy said:
SmokinHawk":g8tadhfy said:

Maybe it's time for a tweak here and there considering our offensive output last month?
THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT.

Just because something is our "philosophy" doesn't mean crap.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Zorn76":nlxhn71r said:
Instead of up tempo, think pass protection that lasts longer than 1.5 seconds.
This certainly needs to be addressed, but there are ways to get around crappy pass protection. You wouldn't think so watching our offense, but there are. We need to at least experiment to a decent extent, for the love of Christ.

Latest posts