Expect a close game

kmedic

Reaction score
Simply just on chance alone, there is a very good chance that this game will be much closer than last. How often does the rematch game result in a blowout after the first one was a blowout? I would guess very very little....

It would be foolish of us to extrapolate the results of the MNF blowout and think we cruise this Saturday. I see a lot of talk on the forums about who is the best match up in the NFCCG but I would only be worrying about the Saints. In fact, they may be an even tougher out than Carolina at this point simply because they know what to expect this time at the CLink in terms of crowd noise and energy.

I personally think the MNF game was a blessing in disguise for them because now they know what to expect and how to prepare for us this time in Seattle. They also have a lot more confidence than before as they just beat one of the hottest teams on the road in Philly.

I think this game may come down to a game winning FG type of situation, even possibly OT. I will be curious to see how the players interview this week. I want to hear them acknowledging that the Saints will be more prepared and ready this game compared to last and they will need to gear up even that much more.

BamKam

Reaction score
It is the playoffs, no one will be expecting a blow out.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I do expect a close game. It's VERY rare for history to repeat itself with matchups that happened earlier in the year.

Treefiddy

Reaction score
They don't match up well. They are soft and I expect us to push them around. It might be closer but I don't think we lose.

2_0_6

Reaction score
I have a gut feeling this will be a very close game at halftime. After the half I can see us grinding out a win with Lynch.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
I expect Nola to run the ball more and avoid the turnovers that killed them last time. Our O will have longer fields as a result and we shouldn't expect a defensive TD this time around. It will be a close game, and if the Over/Under is about 48, I would take the under. I expect Nola to cover a 8.5 point spread.

rpmischris

Reaction score
graphic-brees-pass-sea-2013jpg-b85e29b38bd6e5c9.jpg

This is exactly what I expect to happen; a ton of short passes and runs with Ingram and Sproles. Its not going to work out very well for them and we will win 24-17 but it will feel as if they were never in it.

Polaris

Reaction score
I don't expect it to be especially close (ie I do expect Seattle to cover). New Orleans is badly wounded especially on the back end, and Ryan loves to blitz far too much against a QB like Wilson. New Orleans will try to run it (smart), but Seattle's run defense of late has actually been quite good, and this will slow down the game, and w/r/t the passing game, Seattle is just a bad match up. I also expect Seattle's lines to dominate the Saints on both sides of the ball all game long (that part isn't scheming but personelle and that hasn't really changed since MNF).

Seattle will have it's usual slow offensive start, but by the end of the game, I expect Seattle's stifling defense along with a decent offense to slowly grind the life out of the saints. I expect the game to look a lot like the Rams game in week 17 in short.

Polaris

Reaction score
rpmischris":1zerkt5d said:
graphic-brees-pass-sea-2013jpg-b85e29b38bd6e5c9.jpg

This is exactly what I expect to happen; a ton of short passes and runs with Ingram and Sproles. Its not going to work out very well for them and we will win 24-17 but it will feel as if they were never in it.

Yep. Seattle defends the screen and outlet pass the best in the NFL and it's not particularly close. Like I just said, Seattle is just a bad matchup for the Saints.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
We lost to plenty of "finesse" teams last year. Hell, Atlanta throttled us for three quarters in last year's divisional game, and they were 10x softer than this New Orleans team. Seattle is better and they win this game 7 times out of 10, minimum. However, no two games are the same. A blowout is certainly possible, but far from assured.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
I don't expect a close game at all. There are plenty of playoff blowouts....this will be one.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
You guys gotta remember, everyone said we were perfect match-up for Atlanta last year as well. They couldn't run or defend the run. Their biggest strength were their two big WRs who we could supposedly neutralize with the LOB. Everyone said they were too soft to beat us.

NO was very close to beating both the Patriots and Panthers on the road this season. Both games came down to the final drive.

Polaris

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3qi54pfy said:
You guys gotta remember, everyone said we were perfect match-up for Atlanta last year as well. They couldn't run or defend the run. Their biggest strength were their two big WRs who we could supposedly neutralize with the LOB. Everyone said they were too soft to beat us.

NO was very close to beating both the Patriots and Panthers on the road this season. Both games came down to the final drive.

The game was also a 10am game, and it took until halftime for Seattle to wake up (happened in DC too). Seattle dominated the game once they did and came within 27 seconds of winning it. I note that Atlanta also got a big initial lead on San Fran and San Fran was NOT saddled with a 10am start (it seems like they almost never are).

Hawks46

Reaction score
I expect a lot closer game than last time for sure. It's hard to get that same result in 2 games in a season vs. the same team. The biggest reason I feel it will be a closer game is Sean Payton. He's one of the best offensive game planners in the NFL. I honestly don't see even NO scoring more than 17 points against us (barring defensive TD's). I don't see anyone scoring more than 17 against us at home the way the defense is playing.

Individually, from a matchup perspective, they don't matchup well against us. They don't have the defense to keep it close enough (like the Cards and Whiners); we killed them on the backend of the D last game we played, and they're worse off from an injury standpoint this game. If they sell out to stop the run, we'll beat them through the air again. Kearse is healthy, Tate and Baldwin are rested up and we might see Harvin. Harvin is a blitz beater as he gains immediate separation.

Defensively, Graham might have a better game with Wright being out, we'll have to see how Smith plays. Smith isn't as long as Wright is, but he's actually faster than Graham is. Wright uses his length to make up for lack of speed. Smith doesn't have the length, but has all the speed. We'll see how it goes, but I have to surmise Graham will have a better game against us. Their WRs aren't going to fare any better than last time. With our screen defense, I don't see the underneath stuff getting them 1st downs (like last game). We're playing better against the run and that started with shutting the Saints down (they had been running the ball well before they got to us on Monday).

I see us winning this game 23-13. Two TD's and 3 FG's for us, One TD and 2 FG's for them.

chawx

Reaction score
BamKam":2fcpsk30 said:
It is the playoffs, no one will be expecting a blow out.

I am. 8)

There's nothing I've seen out of the Saints that makes me worry that THEY can beat us. We might beat ourselves sometimes, but I think we're about to see the Seahawks shift out of 4th gear and blast through teams (especially on offense) like we haven't seen all year.

simpsons_stamp_homer_thumb_270x351-s270x351-86230-580.jpg

Homer stamp of approval

kjreid

Reaction score
Yeah, NO is a good team and you give them a little confidence that they can win on the road. I think it will be close but Seattle should win hands down.

jack_patera

Reaction score
that's nice you expect close game...I expect my seahawks to have NO PROBS with that new orleans bunch....I'd be surprised we don't win by at least two touchdowns...and that's the troof, roof...

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Polaris":2wfmqjly said:
I note that Atlanta also got a big initial lead on San Fran and San Fran was NOT saddled with a 10am start (it seems like they almost never are).

Well they are THIS week! :D