When does PC/us question Cable

stang233

Reaction score
I have thought this since about week 6 this year. He set us back with Gallery Moffit and Carpenter. No one could do worse than him at this point. Our line is destroyed every week. Unger has regressed. Lynch would be a beast without him or with him... our run production has nothing to do with Cable like I thought. Maybe the talent is just not there and he is making c players out of otherwise benchwarmers. What are your thoughts.

Sac

Reaction score
Cable has done a good job. O line play is all about continuity, and you can't coach good health.

kjreid

Reaction score
Our O-line is very talented, if you watch tape of the 2 (maybe 3) games that the Seahawks starting 5 played together you will see great protection, line changes that are done seamlessly and everyone working together, when you see our tackles gone, the guard moved out to tackle and the other one to center you see poor line changes, our line getting caught up with our running backs in block protection and flat out missed assignments, they all know how to do the job, they all have to work on secondary reading when out of normal position. Cable has done a good job but McQ is not a tackle and will get beat by the defense without help. Just my opinion, we need to look for a solid back up to our tackles instead of moving our guards to outside positions.

nwgamer

Reaction score
kjreid":3s8m2a7j said:
Our O-line is very talented, if you watch tape of the 2 (maybe 3) games that the Seahawks starting 5 played together you will see great protection, line changes that are done seamlessly and everyone working together, when you see our tackles gone, the guard moved out to tackle and the other one to center you see poor line changes, our line getting caught up with our running backs in block protection and flat out missed assignments, they all know how to do the job, they all have to work on secondary reading when out of normal position. Cable has done a good job but McQ is not a tackle and will get beat by the defense without help. Just my opinion, we need to look for a solid back up to our tackles instead of moving our guards to outside positions.

I agree. PC once said that the great Bill Walsh once taught him that the single most important thing you can do when building a team is to make you quarterback comfortable. I don't think we are anywhere near comfortable yet though. We could use some higher end draft talent to bolster the guard and the tackles both imho.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":pviamqko said:
Cable has done a good job. O line play is all about continuity, and you can't coach good health.
I don't think the OP was all about the job he has done coaching.

As per Pete numerous times, Cable was pivotal in the choosing of James Carpenter, Moffitt, and Sweezy. McQ is his guy too. Moffitt he called nasty, which was pretty opposite of truth.

kf3339

Reaction score
I have been off the Cable bandwagon for a long time. I think he is very overrated and really hope PC is ready to move on to someone else this off season. I doubt it's going to happen though.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
I love Cable's system and coaching capabilities. The ground game that he developed in Oakland and Seattle speak for it. But damn, I wish they'd do it with better talent. And I'd love to see an equally split focus on pass pro as well. It's pretty scary when even is running game is sputtering though.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
I don't understand when people say our O-Line has done well.
Why do other QBs seem to have 5 seconds to throw the ball (Brady, Matt Ryan), while our QB usually has less than 2 seconds to throw.
It was very evident again on Sunday.
Furthermore, how do you explain our inability to score TDs in the red zone the last few weeks?
There are some fundamental issues on our O-Line and we need to address them, instead of trying to cover them.

kearly

Reaction score
Cable talked up Max Unger a ton when he came here. Unger was fresh off a (rookie) season that was among the very worst of all NFL linemen that year. Halfway through the very next season, Cable turned Unger around. Unger had pro-bowl level seasons in 2011 and 2012. He's sucked this year, but I think it's very likely due to a combination of injury and OL flux.

Cable badly wanted Nate Solder, a highly controversial prospect, in 2011. Solder has turned into a great player for New England.

And I can only speculate, but I'm 99% certain the OL Seattle was hoping to target in the 2nd round last year was Chris Long's brother, who's already looking pretty good for Chicago.

Alvin Bailey has looked great. Bowie has looked good by rookie standards.

JR Sweezy is a bit of an enigma, but he definitely has his moments.

Carpenter was a good prospect, and has been solid at LG, but has some physical limitations that are problematic with the kinds of things Seattle likes to do.

Nobody bats a thousand in the draft. Moffitt was the worst pick, but that was a terrible year to draft OL where Seattle was picking, and Moffitt had been offensive line BPA for the better part of a round when they took him.

Jville

Reaction score
stang233":164itgc7 said:
I have thought this since about week 6 this year. He set us back with Gallery Moffit and Carpenter. No one could do worse than him at this point. Our line is destroyed every week. Unger has regressed. Lynch would be a beast without him or with him... our run production has nothing to do with Cable like I thought. Maybe the talent is just not there and he is making c players out of otherwise benchwarmers. What are your thoughts.
Thanks for posting this topic.

If one could order up an offensive line coach, I'd go with a hybrid of one part Tom Cable and one part Alex Gibbs.

I think Tom Cable likes to take on a good cause. Robert Gallery credits Tom Cable with having saved his career. Unfortunately, Cable was unable to save or extend, to a meaningful degree, John Moffit's career. James Carpenter is the only one that can fix his conditioning and weight as well as manage and overcome his massive inertia. And, Bowie and Bailey represent Cable type linemen on board to compete for snaps.

I've dismissed the notion that JR Sweezy was a Tom Cable find. I think initial credit for finding Sweezy belongs elsewhere. Fortunately, Cable did go and look via strong urging and recommendation. JR Sweezy was more of an Alex Gibbs type prospect and project. And, Alex Gibbs would applaud the job Cable has done with Sweezy's development. The offensive line continues to need more in the way of better feet and movement.

I'm not certain that Pete Carroll and John Scheider are looking for something along the lines of a hybrid linemen. But, I am aware of the impact of hybrid players on the defense .... specifically hybrid linebackers. I believe those hybrid linebackers help integrate the work of the run coordinator and passing coordinator into a mutually supportive whole ..... producing better results.

The fit of the defensive run coordinator and pass coordinator is superior to what I have observed with the fit of the two offensive coordinators. If Carroll is working on a new wrinkle, the possibilities of blending pass blocking criteria and run blocking criteria into a blended hybrid criteria that produces a hybrid Seahawk lineman is intriguing.

Interesting Topic

Jville

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":1zy7i01a said:
All speculation.

We are 12-3. Get a grip.

Good Grief :34853_doh: There is no reason to censor this topic.

cacksman

Reaction score
I find it troubling that our run blocking has taken a hit since Okung, Breno, and maybe even Unger has been back.

Axx

Reaction score
cacksman":14a3m5z4 said:
I find it troubling that our run blocking has taken a hit since Okung, Breno, and maybe even Unger has been back.

Its not as bad as pass pro when they were gone...

Jville

Reaction score
Nagging injuries. It remains to be seen if Unger and Okung can finish the campaign.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
One of the main problems in the zone scheme has been linemen getting blown off of their track. I don't know what the solution is. I know their are times when a one cut runner like CM would be able to blow through some of the small seams with a burst.

If their is one position on offense that works well in the RC season it's RB.

Christine Michael needs to be a part of this sputtering offense.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Carpenter will come back next year where we want him to be, its difficult to keep your conditioning up and your weight down when your 6'5, 325 pound lineman rehabbing knee injuries for 9 months each in consecutive years.

Expect a more healthy, conditioned Carpenter next season especially considering he has to make a contract statement to 31 other teams.

The guys will be a behemoth.

Also, consider we had similar O-Line injury collaspes in 2010, 2011.

We actually got stronger in 2011 (Cable's first) as the season went on but both teams finished 7-9.

The line was relatively healthy in 2012, Seahawks finished 11-5.

Again, in 2013 we had injuries situation similar to 2010, 2011 yet this team is one game better than it was in 2012.

No we don't have one of the best lines in the NFL, but it could be a lot worst with some of the talent Cable has had to work with this season, and were 12-3.

Poor us.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
stang233":1ejc231q said:
BS about Lynch. Cable coached up Lynch on how to hit the gaps in the ZBS.

Latest posts