Just a thought

washmont

Reaction score
It appears our offense has went south since we lost Sidney Rice.

I didn't expect that to be a big lose, but maybe with his size and the ability to get the sideline routes it a lose. The drop off from him to Lockette is big. Is this just a coincidence or is there more to it?? Look at the improvement of the 49ers with crabtree back. One WR can make a difference. Next year we have to draft a Tall WR high. I love tate and baldwin but they are the same type of guys, we need some variety.

JonRud

Reaction score
I don't know about this. Rice got hurt after the Rams game and the next 4 games we scored 135 pts. [33 per game].

2 of the last 3 weeks we played top defenses in SF & Arizona, and the Giants D is not awful.

I never thought Rice was that big a loss as he was contributing almost nothing, and I still don't.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
I've observed that Rice appeared to have "lost a step" this year. Whether it was due to age or injury, the result is the same.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I had the same thought.

It isn't all about the absence of Rice, but that is part of it. Our receiving corps is not intimidating anyone, so I have noted an increase in teams committing 8 and 9 to stop the run.

More than the loss of Rice, the constant flux of the offensive line, poor timing on silly penalties, the lack of a viable kick returner, and a mini slump from Russell where we are just missing big plays has been critical to losing two of three.

-Pete-

Reaction score
I'm gonna just put this here, so apologies for the thread jack.

I had to watch a lousy online feed, cuz Giants here in NY, so maybe I missed some stuff, but here goes:

Tough loss.

Team just looked out-of-sync. I mean, how many times does Hauschka miss that? Just one of those day. Burn the film and move on.

O-line is still gimpy. Kearse was limping, Tate had to have his hand taped twice, I believe? Throws were still off tho, and I feel like they have Wilson reined in a bit. Dunno if they’re trying to protect him from hits or what, but he seems reluctant to run on some plays where it’s there for him. I feel like he’s looking to pass a second or two too long. Maybe he's trying to do too much? Let the game come to him - he's a natural.

I’ll take Maxy’s coverage on the TD every time. 9/10 that’s incomplete, if not picked. Floyd made a great play. Regardless, Maxwell has played so well I don’t know how you can sit him, even with Walt back.

I would’ve liked to see the pass rush get on Palmer with a bad wheel more than they did. 9 picks from the secondary in 2 weeks - I’m having trouble finding fault there. Even the announcers were questioning the PI on Sherman, but without the stupid PF that play probably doesn’t even happen. And Sherman probably has another pick if not for the offensive PI. That and the fumble-recovery-that-wasn't were huge in a game where possession was so important.

Rams are a concern with the way they rushed RW, but hopefully the line is better than it was last game. Maybe some more quick underneath stuff from the TEs to keep them honest?

I think the Niners will get all they can handle from the Cards this week. NO is a late game too, so nothing decided before game time.

Enjoy the holidays everyone!

Go ‘Hawks!

*That ball hit the ground. I can't believe that wasn't overturned. Not saying they would've won, but I'd have like to see them get the chance.

AgentDib

Reaction score
You could just as easily say that playing weak defenses immediately after we lost Rice masked the loss, while the good defenses we have played recently exposed our lack of a legitimate X receiver. I don't think any of us were blown away by Rice but the coaching staff thought he was our best option. Substituting him with Lockette has hurt the production of our other receivers and I think Wilson's mini slump has something to do with playing good defenses with value receivers.

This off-season is going to be pretty interesting for the receiving corps as I think we see a major shakeup and new personnel.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
AgentDib":2blgn4b5 said:
You could just as easily say that playing weak defenses immediately after we lost Rice masked the loss, while the good defenses we have played recently exposed our lack of a legitimate X receiver. I don't think any of us were blown away by Rice but the coaching staff thought he was our best option. Substituting him with Lockette has hurt the production of our other receivers and I think Wilson's mini slump has something to do with playing good defenses with value receivers.

This off-season is going to be pretty interesting for the receiving corps as I think we see a major shakeup and new personnel.

Not sure what you mean by major shakeup, but I definitely see us bringing in a 'large target' at the very least. Would love to keep a steady, consistent guy like DB around and I still like Tate's elusiveness, toughness and durability. This off-season definitely won't lack for personnel moves whether forced or chosen. 8)