Pete Carroll confirms critical miscommunication

Jville

Reaction score
Carroll says he met Russell Wilson at VMAC at 4:30 a.m. to watch film.
– Carroll also said Wilson and Lynch thought it was first down when it was third-and-inches late in the second quarter. Carroll said those two misread what the official pointed at. Wilson chose to take a deep shot to Doug Baldwin thinking it was first down, when he could have ran for a first down. It was incomplete and the drive ended.

Several .net members expressed surprise yesterday about the above play. So it seemed appropriate to post this.

Read more here >>> [urltargetblank]http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/2013/12/23/carroll-on-710-it-was-a-difficult-day/#more-21405[/urltargetblank]

Decimation

Reaction score
Well that explains that. Was wondering why he didn't run for the 1st.

seahawks08

Reaction score
Thanks for posting. I thought it was a designed play and wondering why he did not go for the first down.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
The above link includes a link to the 710 interview of Pete Carroll.

Anthony!

Reaction score
When I was at the game the people with me all thought it was a first down as well as the ref signaled it was.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Anthony!":10x81206 said:
When I was at the game the people with me all thought it was a first down as well as the ref signaled it was.

I thought it was a first down from where I was sitting too

Stuje1

Reaction score
That actually makes me feel better. I was shocked at that play by RW as he is usually so game smart. A bad passing game is inevitable once in awhile, but for RW to lose his cool and make such a critical mental error seemed mind boggling...glad to know it was an issue with the spot/communication error as opposed to RW trying to thread the needle deep instead of running for a first.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Don't miss the fact that Pete and Russell were watching film together at 4:30 in the morning.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
kidhawk":2mdbjaja said:
Being discussed amongst other issues Pete brought up today in the thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=83671

Thanks .... but there are a multitude of topics addressed there.

This thread is directed specifically at the miscommunication event that puzzle a lot of members during the game.

BamKam

Reaction score
PC is a great coach and RW is a great QB. It was very uncharacteristic of him to not pick up that 1st down but he is only human, it won't be his last head scratcher of a play.

I am just glad Wilson is the kind of player who will do everything in his power to correct the mistake instead of pouting his head like Kaepernick and make excuses and not fess up to anything.

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
I was wondering why there wasn't a measurement on the play. Would have been a nice free time out. Is that on Pete for not requesting it? Or is there some other protocol in place?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
It makes sense somewhat, but I still would like to see Russ just take off and run there.. confusion or not. He had an easy 10-15 yard gain there and maybe more if Baldwin blocks his man.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Jville":3fikkli1 said:
kidhawk":3fikkli1 said:
Being discussed amongst other issues Pete brought up today in the thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=83671

Thanks .... but there are a multitude of topics addressed there.

This thread is directed specifically at the miscommunication event that puzzle a lot of members during the game.

Of course, the board needs to spread out all of pete's show topics into as many separate posts as possible.

JaiSeaSea

Reaction score
sc85sis":r6gpdf1s said:
Don't miss the fact that Pete and Russell were watching film together at 4:30 in the morning.

This^
They both saw what happened and they will try to figure out how to be better. I love this team and I am sure we will bounce back for our Super Bowl run.

Yesterday sucked on that side of the ball but we will do better!

I believe.. Still.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
What other excuses do they have planned?
This is all nonsense. Sunday's game was an aberration. Why wasn't Bevell up @ 4:30 am watching his "offense"?
Where was the Special Team's coach? Why wasn't he watching his "Special Team" play yesterday?
This team is going nowhere, unless these guys rededicate themselves to winning the remaining games. There is NO more margin for error. None.

mikeak

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":qikatp8i said:
It makes sense somewhat, but I still would like to see Russ just take off and run there.. confusion or not. He had an easy 10-15 yard gain there and maybe more if Baldwin blocks his man.

No he didn't. He had a guy on his right closing the gap quickly. He would have gotten a few yards but it would not have been a 10-15 yarder. He would have gotten 3-5 yards and gone out of bounds.

Which is what he would have done if he knew it was third down

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
That and the delay of game... Russ was just not there yesterday.

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
Does anybody remember what part of the game that play happened? I have replay and would love to take a look again to see if the ref signalled a first down.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
mikeak":2zwxlnys said:
Hasselbeck":2zwxlnys said:

No he didn't. He had a guy on his right closing the gap quickly. He would have gotten a few yards but it would not have been a 10-15 yarder. He would have gotten 3-5 yards and gone out of bounds.

Which is what he would have done if he knew it was third down

My mistake. It looked like a lot more yardage.

Though considering how they were moving the ball at this point.. all this may be moot anyway.