I think my season-long concern was amplified today

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
My one not-so-random-thought

I've been saying for months that this offense has nothing resembling a legitimate drop back passing game and it was brutal today. Saying this usually just gets me labeled as a "Bevell hater" but all year long this team has lacked ability to drop and throw, and I think its the biggest problem facing this team going into the play offs. When was the last time you saw Russ just take the snap, make his drop, and find an open receiver - let alone one between the hashes? His numbers are a bit skewed in his favor because he's so damn good at scrambling and finding open guys, because we rarely see him find someone open quickly.

I've long thought Bevell has not put together a good drop back package and struggles mightily against good blitzing teams. Today we saw both of those bite the Hawks in the ass. IMO, there's a total lack of creativity we saw at the end of last year, and a REALLY poor blitz package. We struggle to move the ball against "tough" teams that punch us in the jaw and come after us. If you go back to week 1, and look at, Houston, STL, TB, SF, now Arizona, they all gave us fits in a similar manner. Fortunately, we were able to make a few big plays to get things turned into our favor against Houston and TB.

I think it's safe to say there's a blueprint out there to at least give our offense a lot of trouble. Our receivers aren't as good as we'd like to think when it comes to route running, and so far Russ isn't quite the passer that can "throw guys open." I hate that I have to qualify that statement by saying I love the kid and everything he does for this team, but right now that's my take on things as it has been all year. we're finally playing some better teams now though, instead of teams like Houston, TB and STL that weren't quite sure how to win games at that point in the season. The rest of the season is going to get a hell of a lot tougher than it was when we could come back against teams, so hopefully we see some creativity and not just "This is what we do on offense" the rest of the year.

Queue the snarky replies.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I hate Bevell too!

Nothing wrong with that.

Well, maybe not hate. But certainly a seething disdain for his ability to produce any results as a professional given the resources he has at his disposal.

But it might be actual hate....we will see after the Rams game.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Bevel haters are smart people. I've been one all along. I sure hope we win the Superb Owl (in spite of him) and he gets hired as a head coach somewhere. Maybe Dall-ass, so that they can continue to suck offensively. Meanwhile, we hire somebody who can design an offense that doesn't run on 2nd and long 98.3% of the time.

Subzero717

Reaction score
I don't know about a Bevell hater but I will point out he's a Childress disciple and Favre said no one knows less about offense than Childress. Favre just won a state championship as an OC. Just sayin.

kf3339

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":1hvwgu72 said:
My one not-so-random-thought

I've been saying for months that this offense has nothing resembling a legitimate drop back passing game and it was brutal today. Saying this usually just gets me labeled as a "Bevell hater" but all year long this team has lacked ability to drop and throw, and I think its the biggest problem facing this team going into the play offs. When was the last time you saw Russ just take the snap, make his drop, and find an open receiver - let alone one between the hashes? His numbers are a bit skewed in his favor because he's so damn good at scrambling and finding open guys, because we rarely see him find someone open quickly.

I've long thought Bevell has not put together a good drop back package and struggles mightily against good blitzing teams. Today we saw both of those bite the Hawks in the ass. IMO, there's a total lack of creativity we saw at the end of last year, and a REALLY poor blitz package. We struggle to move the ball against "tough" teams that punch us in the jaw and come after us. If you go back to week 1, and look at, Houston, STL, TB, SF, now Arizona, they all gave us fits in a similar manner. Fortunately, we were able to make a few big plays to get things turned into our favor against Houston and TB.

I think it's safe to say there's a blueprint out there to at least give our offense a lot of trouble. Our receivers aren't as good as we'd like to think when it comes to route running, and so far Russ isn't quite the passer that can "throw guys open." I hate that I have to qualify that statement by saying I love the kid and everything he does for this team, but right now that's my take on things as it has been all year. we're finally playing some better teams now though, instead of teams like Houston, TB and STL that weren't quite sure how to win games at that point in the season. The rest of the season is going to get a hell of a lot tougher than it was when we could come back against teams, so hopefully we see some creativity and not just "This is what we do on offense" the rest of the year.

Queue the snarky replies.

:13:

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
We've gotten away with the lack of a drop-and-throw package because the shots Wilson does take usually work out. Today most of them got dropped.

There's also the concern that Wilson may be hard to design a drop-and-throw package for, because of...yep...his height.

mikehawks

Reaction score
I think the Cardinals did a great job on defense, so give them credit. With that said, I thought losing Brandon Browner to suspension is a bigger loss than many people realize. Personally, I think the Seahawks would of won that game if Browner played. Also, I have never been a fan of Russel Wilson, but sorta just accept that he is quarterback and hope he does enough to help win the game. Don't have any strong opinions about Bevel, he is making the most of the offense with the players he has. Damn Cardinals just shut down Lynch, which is quite impressive......Made the Seahawks one dimensional and made Wilson drop back and pass, which is not one of Wilson's strengths... The Cardinals also contained Wilson's running, which made the Seahawks offense look like they need a new quarterback......You know one those pocket passer's like Matt Flynn?

chris98251

Reaction score
I have thought since the N.O. game we have played prevent offense, safe and don't get hurt no running really of Wilson even with open turf in front of him like tonight etc. Not sure where this is coming from, deep shots down field where the pass is out of bounds if not caught, limited power line up in the back field, next to no slant patterns, next to no using the TE.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
We are going nowhere with this offense.

Lynch is an afterthought and we don't have a WR that can take over a game.

Defenses have figured us out and Bevell is not adjusting.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Midway through the season the guys on the NFL network were saying that our play calling and route packages were too easy to defend and a bunch of guys here laughed about it.

This team needs to have a greater sense of urgency.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1lyc11h1 said:
We've gotten away with the lack of a drop-and-throw package because the shots Wilson does take usually work out. Today most of them got dropped.

There's also the concern that Wilson may be hard to design a drop-and-throw package for, because of...yep...his height.

So how does Brees do it for all these years? He's only got like 1 whole inch on Russell. Is there nothing the hawks can implement from that offense and his drop back ability?

Anthony!

Reaction score
mikehawks":1kcipfzl said:
I think the Cardinals did a great job on defense, so give them credit. With that said, I thought losing Brandon Browner to suspension is a bigger loss than many people realize. Personally, I think the Seahawks would of won that game if Browner played. Also, I have never been a fan of Russel Wilson, but sorta just accept that he is quarterback and hope he does enough to help win the game. Don't have any strong opinions about Bevel, he is making the most of the offense with the players he has. Damn Cardinals just shut down Lynch, which is quite impressive......Made the Seahawks one dimensional and made Wilson drop back and pass, which is not one of Wilson's strengths... The Cardinals also contained Wilson's running, which made the Seahawks offense look like they need a new quarterback......You know one those pocket passer's like Matt Flynn?

Flynn the guy who cannot play well for anyone but GB? First thanks but no thanks, Rw has shown he can be a pocket passé as he has one of the best completion % form inside the pocket in the NFL, you not being a Rw fan says a lot though. What the cardinals did was show what happens when you can stop lynch, stop Rw from scrambling and not allow our Rw to get any space. I do not care who your QB is no separation by wr, no play making by WR you will fail.

Anthony!

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":xhnri8gi said:

there is a concern, ahh form who? No expert I know of says that. PC does not say that, and since he has thrown straight drop backs it is just not true, he has one of the best completion % in the league from inside the pocket and drop backs. The offense runs the way PC and the OC want it to, period and they prefer play action, remember we are a running team first.

Anthony!

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":1shjn0gx said:
We are going nowhere with this offense.

Lynch is an afterthought and we don't have a WR that can take over a game.

Defenses have figured us out and Bevell is not adjusting.

That I agree with

Anthony!

Reaction score
brimsalabim":di1sdkcf said:
Midway through the season the guys on the NFL network were saying that our play calling and route packages were too easy to defend and a bunch of guys here laughed about it.

This team needs to have a greater sense of urgency.

I actually agreed, but not sure they will change it, they are hard headed.

Seaswab

Reaction score
mikehawks":2c055ypp said:

You mean the guy who couldn't stay with the Raiders?

olyfan63

Reaction score
Intentional loss, to give AZ the chance & motivation to knock SF out of the playoffs altogether next week?
Isn't that (AZ knocking out SF) a possibility?
I think AZ matches up really, really well with SF...