Marshawns Rushing yards Down...but....

SPOHAWK

Reaction score
I have noticed alot of fretting about Marshawn 's rush yards being down over the last few weeks, but in all this concern I think that people are missing his increasing role in the pass game. They are adjusting his touch as the game dictates, this is a good thing, get the ball in Lynch's hands as much and in any fashion possible.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Yes and it will extend his career. I think it's a combination of Wilson maturing and getting together with Bevell to both exploit what defenses are giving them and a desire to use Harvin's planned role where possible albeit in a limited fashion but if it works.....why waste it?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I don't care how Lynch gets his 100 yards the opponents still have to tackle him if it's a pass or a run, and that's a PITA.

plyka

Reaction score
I'm not concerned about lynch,'s rushing at all. That said there is a difference between rushing and catching g dump offs in the flat. They rarely if ever passed to lynch so it has caught defenses off guard. I doubt this will last. The defense will be ready for lynch out of the bcakfield catching balls. Running is a different story you cant shut it down with one player as you can with lynch 's pass catching.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I think there is a very simple explanation for Marshawns ypc being down. He was fumbling earlier in the year when fighting for that extra yard. Now he's more focused on ball security. When was the last time you saw him fumble?

Some has to do with the offensive line getting back up to speed after being out so long, but he believe there's also a focus on ball security. Russell Wilson has made the same commitment and mentioned it in his post Rams game interview.

It's all about the ball.

kearly

Reaction score
The run struggles are mystery to me. Listening to Pete talk about the run game in recent weeks on the radio, I think it's a mystery to him too. Or maybe it's not a mystery, but he's pretending like it is to avoid tipping off opposing coaches.

Lynch did not play well in the SF game. He left a lot of yards on the field that day with poor reads. But otherwise, he's looked like himself in all the other recent games. In the most recent game, it "felt" like he had a 5.0 YPC day. In reality, he had 2.9 YPC.

I think it's worth noting that Lynch ran the crap out of the ball in the first half vs. Indy and Seattle still lost, and they've had many games this year where Lynch struggled and Seattle still won easily. Starting next season, Seattle should probably reduce their run ratio and build around Wilson more. I love our WRs, but none of them (except Harvin) scare opposing DCs which has lead to them game planning Lynch. Sometimes the Seahawks slaughter their opponents anyway (Saints), but it would be nice if we built a passing offense that scared other teams more than Lynch does. I imagine WR will continue to be a priority this offseason.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Another thing to consider is untimely penalties. It seems every time Lynch makes 10, 15, 20 yards there is a penalty and it all comes back and then some. Those penalties are killers and are much worse than the penalty yards.

Seafan

Reaction score
There are several reasons for Beast's lower production but none of them I'm worried about.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
ivotuk":v19jtglo said:
Another thing to consider is untimely penalties. It seems every time Lynch makes 10, 15, 20 yards there is a penalty and it all comes back and then some. Those penalties are killers and are much worse than the penalty yards.
That goes to the average OL we have. Now imagine an OL good at pass pro? But average at run blocking? It could get stupid given that is what the rules demand and in my view require. It's time to quit stalling and build this team around Wilson next year. We aren't San Francisco we actually have a franchise quarterback so it's time to flip the percentage to 55/45 in favor of passing. Especially if Harvin is actually healthy and Pete and John are being conservative (extremely likely given the investment much like the Green Bay situation).

justafan

Reaction score
Petes goal is always going to be control the game with a physical run game.His philosophy has always been that and I love it.
As far as why we have struggled struggled isnt that hard to see why.
Okung,Carp,Unger,Sweezy Giacomini and Lynch.Pick out the weak links.Rank each player however you want to but if you think Lynch is the problem or weak link in that group I disagree bigtime.
Wilson and Lynch have the game to cover the weakness in this team.The Oline.
Pass blocking and run blocking.Its been the weak link for a couple of years now.
I think you could rank every player in the starting 22 to starting 25 and the guards would be at or near the bottom.IMO they are at the bottom.
Whether you want to blame it on conditioning,injuries or inexperience it doesnt matter.They need to do their jobs.

SeaHawk80

Reaction score
Has no one considered the 70 caries that Turbin has taken from him? That is 250 yards that maybe lynch turns into 280 or more yards that is 20 yards a game so far, that is significant on a personal stat sheet. Maybe that is a ploy by Pete to make it look as if he is not doing so well. Also preserves Lynch a little into the post season. Then unleash him a tad more rested and healthy? We are still #2 in rushing and I have noticed Lynch has missed no games, as in prior years, due to his back. That makes me believe that Pete is doing it right. That does not account for lower YPC, but, he seems to get better and better as the Game wears on and he is not getting those 4th quarter carries as in the past.