Football Outsiders ranks Seahawks 3rd best All Time

Erebus

Reaction score
To clarify, they've only charted games back to about 1989 (give or take a year). So we haven't been compared to the 85 Bears, 84 49ers, 76 Steelers, or 72 Dolphins.

Reaction score
Lesson to learn from this though?? San Fran LOST 27-17 to Green Bay in the Divisional Round of the playoffs after earning a first round bye. So despite how great that team was in terms of DVOA, they still need to keep it up into the playoffs.

253hawk

Reaction score
We also have the 4th best toxic differential ever (SF and WAS had #1 and #3 last season) with two home games left to go.

Dietrich

Reaction score
dopeboy206":3fe3lqgo said:
What the hell is dvoa?
Defense Adjusted Value Over Average. Football Outsiders basically takes every play over the course of the season to create an overall stat that measures how a team compares to the league average. So the Seahawks this season are 40.4% better than the average NFL team.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Chrome_Seahawk":12j8e8qp said:
Lesson to learn from this though?? San Fran LOST 27-17 to Green Bay in the Divisional Round of the playoffs after earning a first round bye. So despite how great that team was in terms of DVOA, they still need to keep it up into the playoffs.
You don't understand DVOA.... it will beat the other teams out whether we win or lose the actual score; just ask I-Ro. As a matter of fact, I expect the NFL competition committee at their next meeting to adopt a new rule that says the highest DVOA at the end of regulation wins the game. It's only fair after all.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Cartire":m69v5u92 said:
dopeboy206":m69v5u92 said:
What the hell is dvoa?

iRo is about to destroy you.

Not destroy. Just wonder how in the hell any member of this site doesn't know what it is, considering how many times I've trumpeted its wonders. Kearly as well, I might add.

Dopeboy206, read this: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/info/methods

Basically, it's by far the most accurate ranking stat for teams, offenses, defenses, etc. in existence.

Jazzhawk":m69v5u92 said:
You don't understand DVOA.... it will beat the other teams out whether we win or lose the actual score; just ask I-Ro.
Don't be such a tool.

etanate

Reaction score
Seattle's number one overall in DVOA, the only team BTW with all three phases of the game in the top 10 of the league:

Offense: 11.5%, ranked #7
Defense: -23.3% ranked #1! (Neg defense is better in DVOA)
Special Teams: 5.6% ranked #5

So excited to have the most complete team in the league, just need to keep going 1-0!

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3f1ininq said:
Cartire":3f1ininq said:
dopeboy206":3f1ininq said:
What the hell is dvoa?

iRo is about to destroy you.

Not destroy. Just wonder how in the hell any member of this site doesn't know what it is, considering how many times I've trumpeted its wonders. Kearly as well, I might add.

Dopeboy206, read this: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/info/methods

Basically, it's by far the most accurate ranking stat for teams, offenses, defenses, etc. in existence.

Jazzhawk":3f1ininq said:
You don't understand DVOA.... it will beat the other teams out whether we win or lose the actual score; just ask I-Ro.
Don't be such a tool.
Once again, you can dish it out but not take it eh? What, do I have to do, put a :sarcasm_off: after it?? Sheesh.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
We actually dropped a spot from 6th to 7th on offense from last week, and our offensive DVOA dropped 1.6%. We rose an incredible 3.1% in one week on defense, though. A bump that large in week 15 is impressive.

Jazzhawk":2y9ygk0e said:
Once again, you can dish it out but not take it eh? What, do I have to do, put a :sarcasm_off: after it?? Sheesh.
Actually, that'd be nice. Trying to keep track of 500 people's sarcasm habits when they give no signs whatsoever of indicating sarcasm as compared to legitimate "hate" against people is more work than I care to invest. I guess I could just always assume everyone's being sarcastic about everything, but I'd really rather not.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":3dg9n4dr said:

I also appreciated your misspelling of iRo. I hope that was intentional...

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3h5kbuwm said:
We actually dropped a spot from 6th to 7th on offense from last week, and our offensive DVOA dropped 1.6%. We rose an incredible 3.1% in one week on defense, though. A bump that large in week 15 is impressive.

Jazzhawk":3h5kbuwm said:
Actually, that'd be nice. Trying to keep track of 500 people's sarcasm habits when they give no signs whatsoever of indicating sarcasm as compared to legitimate "hate" against people is more work than I care to invest. I guess I could just always assume everyone's being sarcastic about everything, but I'd really rather not.
I've never hated you. But face it, yo've earned the crap you get from everyone. I'll try to do better in the future. Probably not actually.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":6xr0r0qx said:
I've never hated you. But face it, yo've earned the crap you get from everyone. I'll try to do better in the future. Probably not actually.
Yeah, it's not like any posters around here just follow the bandwagon and hang with the crowd to pile on someone or "love" certain posters. Certainly not any of Pehawk's necessarily ignorant followers!

Sac

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2x5o9xy6 said:
Jazzhawk":2x5o9xy6 said:
Yeah, it's not like any posters around here just follow the bandwagon and hang with the crowd to pile on someone or "love" certain posters. Certainly not any of Pehawk's necessarily ignorant followers!

dfe.gif

plyka

Reaction score
Erebus":3balhvfz said:
To clarify, they've only charted games back to about 1989 (give or take a year). So we haven't been compared to the 85 Bears, 84 49ers, 76 Steelers, or 72 Dolphins.

Some of the best teams of all time were during the 90's and 2000's. Of course you have the Cowboys of the 90's, the 49ers of the 90's and the Patriots of the 2000's. And of course that 2000 Ravens which had the best defense i've ever seen.

Incredible stuff.