The Rangers Draft Pick of Wilson...A Distraction?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • First of all, I am not a baseball fan so the idea that there could be a draft pick by another professional sport of a HUGE player of the sport and team I love DURING THE SEASON of said professional sport really pisses me off.

    Sure it's a marketing ploy. I get that. Still, why is it allowed to happen? Isn't there SOME level of courtesy between pro sports? We all know that baseball is a passion of RW. Why in the hell is it okay for them to announce that they have drafted our beloved leader as he is in the mix of going for a championship? Sorry but it just seems wrong to me.

    I won't go as far as suggesting that any struggles RW showed today were due to the distraction of the Rangers draft pick but I can't think it helped any either.

    Thoughts?
    Image

    Les "The Radish" Norton - Ambassador/Grandfather of .NET, gone too soon but will never be forgotten. RIP
    User avatar
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]
     
    Posts: 8185
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:58 am
    Location: Just 6 miles from Richard Sherman!


  • I don't think his drafting had anything to do with his level of play today. RW is mature well beyond his years to let a distraction like that get in the way.

    And if the Rangers want to waste a draft pick on Wilson, so be it. He knows his future is in the NFL.
    Last edited by Steve2222 on Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    User avatar
    Steve2222
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 917
    Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:12 am


  • Aros wrote:First of all, I am not a baseball fan so the idea that there could be a draft pick by another professional sport of a HUGE player of the sport and team I love DURING THE SEASON of said professional sport really pisses me off.

    Sure it's a marketing ploy. I get that. Still, why is it allowed to happen? Isn't there SOME level of courtesy between pro sports? We all know that baseball is a passion of RW. Why in the hell is it okay for them to announce that they have drafted our beloved leader as he is in the mix of going for a championship? Sorry but it just seems wrong to me.

    I won't go as far as suggesting that any struggles RW showed today were due to the distraction of the Rangers draft pick but I can't think it helped any either.

    Thoughts?


    Baseball teams draft football players all the time.

    I remember Locker getting drafted while playing at UW.

    Not a big deal at all.
    Hawkpower
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 409
    Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:53 am


  • This has been happening for years with nfl players that have baseball backgrounds. I'm not in Russell's head, but I'm assuming it's nowhere near the front of his thoughts during the football season. Non issue from my uninformed and completely guessing point of view.
    35!
    AHH-OOH!
    User avatar
    KK84
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 842
    Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:01 pm
    Location: Bensalem, PA


  • my suspicion is when Wilson was called for a sack when his knee was down but threw the ball he got a slight concussion. If you watch the replay his head slams against the ground pretty hard. From that point forward he was off on several throws and reads before then he was his amazing self. Its funny that a QB who has 66% completion 1 td 1 int and 50 yards rushing with a 86 passer rating look bad. Love me some Russell Wilson. If someone can make a gif of the play I am speaking about I think this makes the most sense of what we saw. He was nearly flawless before then sans a few misses Tate normally makes... The baseball distraction is non sense IMO as he was on point to start the game.
    SeahawksMSHing
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 59
    Joined: Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:00 pm


  • Pretty incredible that we're talking about a second year quarterback, who played on the road, ended up with a quarterback rating of 86.3, extended numerous plays with his legs and ended up with 50 yards rushing.....

    ....and we're wondering why he seemed distracted and didn't look as good as he usually does.

    Incredible.
    Image

    "There is no delay of game. We did not let the team know we were scratching our balls"
    User avatar
    IBleedBlueAndGreen
    * NET Injury Guru *
     
    Posts: 1608
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:56 am
    Location: Poulsbo, WA


  • Nothing distracts russell.
    P-Rich fo life
    User avatar
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2544
    Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:14 am


  • No way. He was a mediocre pro baseball player. It's flattering but the Rangers draft football players. That isn't new and it didn't affect RW at all. His mind is on the Cardinals just like it was on the Giants today.
    I'm In!


    What attracted you to the Seahawks?
    “It’s a combination of what I believe the coaches are doing here, the atmosphere and what I think we’re going to do here in the future. I think we’re going to win and win a lot and be a championship team.” – Zac Miller, August 4, 2011
    User avatar
    Seafan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3498
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:30 pm
    Location: Helotes, TX


  • Seafan wrote:No way. He was a mediocre pro baseball player. It's flattering but the Rangers draft football players. That isn't new and it didn't affect RW at all. His mind is on the Cardinals just like it was on the Giants today.


    I wouldn't call Russell a "mediocre" baseball player... this was the 3rd time he's been drafted, mediocre doesn't get drafted 3 times. He played a couple seasons of minor league ball during college... he had modest numbers but baseball players rarely get drafted and then blow up in the bigs the next season... even top prospects typically develop through the minor league system for years before breaking in.

    I would bet a lot of money that if RW chose to stick with baseball he would have been playing in the big leagues at some point and had a solid career...
    Image

    "Everyone has a plan... until they get punched in the face." -- Mike Tyson on the 2014 Seattle Seahawks.
    User avatar
    LawlessHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1134
    Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:50 am
    Location: Tonasket, WA to Temecula, CA


  • One can always tell how well the Hawks are doing by how nervous and paranoid Todd gets. The more neurotic the better.
    Image
    User avatar
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *
     
    Posts: 8789
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:24 am
    Location: PNW


  • Hawkpower wrote:I remember Locker getting drafted while playing at UW.

    This actually allowed UW another scholarship because Locker was able to take a contact to pay for his schooling... which really makes no sense but that's the NCAA.

    Seattle Times wrote:Locker's situation is similar to that of former Oregon quarterback Dennis Dixon, who was drafted in the fifth round by the Braves in 2007. Dixon was reported to have received a $150,000 signing bonus and it's thought that Locker may have been seeking something similar. The deal would also have to be enough to pay for Locker's final two years of tuition at UW. By signing, he maintains his eligibility in football but he has to pay his own way and officially be termed a walk-on, opening up a scholarship for the Huskies.

    Seattletimes.com
    "Go for Broke" - 442nd Japanese-American Battalion

    Shaun Alexander #37 for the HoF - 119 Games 2176 Att 9429 Yards 4.3 YPC 100 TDs (112 TDs total) 2005 MVP

    "YOU POST...TO WIN...thethread." JesterHawk
    User avatar
    sammyc521
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 4212
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:42 pm
    Location: Pacific Ocean


  • This move was the equivalent of the Seahawks signing a guy who was released to their practice squad. Wilson is just exclusive to the Rangers now rather than the Rockies. It's much ado about nothing.
    ASuperForce
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 59
    Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:43 am


  • LawlessHawk wrote:
    Seafan wrote:No way. He was a mediocre pro baseball player. It's flattering but the Rangers draft football players. That isn't new and it didn't affect RW at all. His mind is on the Cardinals just like it was on the Giants today.


    I wouldn't call Russell a "mediocre" baseball player... this was the 3rd time he's been drafted, mediocre doesn't get drafted 3 times. He played a couple seasons of minor league ball during college... he had modest numbers but baseball players rarely get drafted and then blow up in the bigs the next season... even top prospects typically develop through the minor league system for years before breaking in.

    I would bet a lot of money that if RW chose to stick with baseball he would have been playing in the big leagues at some point and had a solid career...



    He called him a mediocre prospect, which he was. Getting drafted by the Rangers is almost entirely a PR move. The rule 5 draft in general is a joke, it's extremely rare any decent player gets taken in it.
    Happybelly
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 92
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:09 am


  • Aros wrote:First of all, I am not a baseball fan so the idea that there could be a draft pick by another professional sport of a HUGE player of the sport and team I love DURING THE SEASON of said professional sport really pisses me off.

    Sure it's a marketing ploy. I get that. Still, why is it allowed to happen? Isn't there SOME level of courtesy between pro sports? We all know that baseball is a passion of RW. Why in the hell is it okay for them to announce that they have drafted our beloved leader as he is in the mix of going for a championship? Sorry but it just seems wrong to me.

    I won't go as far as suggesting that any struggles RW showed today were due to the distraction of the Rangers draft pick but I can't think it helped any either.

    Thoughts?



    First off I agree with you... During his press conference most of the questions were about his being drafted into baseball, not about the game at hand.... He couldn't get away from it even though he tried to push it off as being nothing, but it was special.... It seems wrong to me also, because drafting Russell knowing he is who he is with the Seahawks was stupid and not needed for baseball or football... I think RW handled it well, but it could have distracted him during the week... He's only human, even though he may be super human...
    Looking For That One Particular Habor....
    Hawkboi
    * Class Act Hawk Fan *
     
    Posts: 713
    Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am
    Location: Boise, Idaho


  • AbsolutNET wrote:One can always tell how well the Hawks are doing by how nervous and paranoid Todd gets. The more neurotic the better.


    LOL...I hate you.
    Image

    Les "The Radish" Norton - Ambassador/Grandfather of .NET, gone too soon but will never be forgotten. RIP
    User avatar
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]
     
    Posts: 8185
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:58 am
    Location: Just 6 miles from Richard Sherman!


  • Wilson played parts of two seasons of Minor League baseball.... his slash was .229/.354/.356... for reference, Willie Bloomquist hit .287 in his first year at the same level.... and .356 the second year.... same amount of games.

    The last thing people need to worry about is Russell Wilson deciding to be a two sport Athlete... because he isn't going to go from the NFL to riding a bus between A+ or AA small town stadiums near Frisco, Tx.
    BioDawg03
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 36
    Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:42 pm


  • Rule 5 draft isn't actually the real draft, it's an essentially worthless ritual that GMs do during the offseason when they lose a couple of the players on the very bottom of their rosters. It is basically the MLB equivalent of the 53 man cutdown roster free agency, except it's managed in a draft style.

    I don't even think Wilson was eligible for the rule 5 draft, or if he was it was through a loophole. Either way, it was clearly meant as a joke, as the Rangers have a good team, picked late, and very likely didn't see anyone worth drafting. Even if they were being serious, it's really obvious that Wilson would laugh off being drafted by a baseball team given his status in the NFL right now.
    User avatar
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *
     
    Posts: 11202
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:44 am


  • I still think it stinks. :)
    Image

    Les "The Radish" Norton - Ambassador/Grandfather of .NET, gone too soon but will never be forgotten. RIP
    User avatar
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]
     
    Posts: 8185
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:58 am
    Location: Just 6 miles from Richard Sherman!


  • Just publicity for them, they drafted Ricky Williams too.
    User avatar
    Uffda
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 717
    Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:13 am
    Location: Ballard


  • Keep in mind that Wilson was under contract with Colorado Rockies BEFORE he was drafted by the Seahawks. The Rangers just acquired that contract.

    So I guess the Rockies could have the same beef with the Seahawks that you have with the Texas Rangers, right?
    Image
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    User avatar
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 11723
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:50 am
    Location: Antioch, CA


  • Aros wrote:First of all, I am not a baseball fan so the idea that there could be a draft pick by another professional sport of a HUGE player of the sport and team I love DURING THE SEASON of said professional sport really pisses me off.

    Sure it's a marketing ploy. I get that. Still, why is it allowed to happen? Isn't there SOME level of courtesy between pro sports? We all know that baseball is a passion of RW. Why in the hell is it okay for them to announce that they have drafted our beloved leader as he is in the mix of going for a championship? Sorry but it just seems wrong to me.

    I won't go as far as suggesting that any struggles RW showed today were due to the distraction of the Rangers draft pick but I can't think it helped any either.

    Thoughts?


    Aros.. you're awesome.. but this post is pretty funny. :lol:

    The Rule 5 draft is generally a meaningless activity, hence why it gets no pub. The Rangers are known to make these out of the blue picks all the time (Ricky Williams, Jameis Winston, etc). I guarantee you Russell Wilson heard about, laughed, then went back to film study.

    In regards to his game today.. sometimes you're just not on your A game. Russell played well but did miss throws, throws he makes more often than not. I just chalk it up to that, and have 100% confidence he will be back to his old self the next several weeks.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    User avatar
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *
     
    Posts: 5114
    Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 4:55 pm


  • Distraction? Awesome
    60 percent of the time..........it works........every time
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2902
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • Russell Wilson's supposed bad game is pretty easy to explain.
    The weather report I saw called for winds of 18 MPH yesterday. It didn't look that bad, but it was pretty plain to me that deep passing was affected a lot by the wind.
    A high pass dropped, a toss to the end zone a half yard too far, an ill advised deep shot. That was the three I saw that were the worst. I'm not really worried, Russ was making his progressions, he was stiffarming Tuck, and when it mattered, he made good throws. Even got a little bench time.

    I am far more concerned that it was pretty plain the Giants picked up from film that when Wilson bootlegs off play action, you send his spy after him. Too many times he turned to make his reads and was confronted with a free rusher. The percentages show we don't use the part of the field vacated by that spy very much at all, and savvy defensive coordinators in SF, STL, and now NY have all exploited that part of our offense.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 11232
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


  • Happybelly wrote:
    LawlessHawk wrote:
    Seafan wrote:No way. He was a mediocre pro baseball player. It's flattering but the Rangers draft football players. That isn't new and it didn't affect RW at all. His mind is on the Cardinals just like it was on the Giants today.


    I wouldn't call Russell a "mediocre" baseball player... this was the 3rd time he's been drafted, mediocre doesn't get drafted 3 times. He played a couple seasons of minor league ball during college... he had modest numbers but baseball players rarely get drafted and then blow up in the bigs the next season... even top prospects typically develop through the minor league system for years before breaking in.

    I would bet a lot of money that if RW chose to stick with baseball he would have been playing in the big leagues at some point and had a solid career...



    He called him a mediocre prospect, which he was. Getting drafted by the Rangers is almost entirely a PR move. The rule 5 draft in general is a joke, it's extremely rare any decent player gets taken in it.


    Hmmm, I'm reading what he wrote and he called him a mediocre baseball player. Funny, cause everyone thought he was going to be a "mediocre" football player too. Of course it was a PR move and what makes it even more amusing is they paid the Rockies $12k for him.
    Image

    "Everyone has a plan... until they get punched in the face." -- Mike Tyson on the 2014 Seattle Seahawks.
    User avatar
    LawlessHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1134
    Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:50 am
    Location: Tonasket, WA to Temecula, CA


  • And why didn't the Mariners grab him?!
    User avatar
    silverss
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 105
    Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:52 pm
    Location: Woodbridge, Ontario, CANADA eh!




It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:35 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information