Seahawks shutout to cost car dealer $420,000

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • FEDERAL WAY, Wash. - When the Seahawks win, you win!"

Pizza, beef jerky, cheeseburgers, haircuts, Slurpees and donuts.

Those are just a few of the free promotional gifts the gods of football can grant lucky fans when the Seahawks dominate.

Add a cool $35,000 to that list.

The Seahawks clobbered the New York Giants 23-0 in MetLife Stadium Sunday afternoon. Most of Washington likely cheered and chanted "SEA--HAWKS" after each of the game's five interceptions. But Jet Chevrolet in Federal Way is now obligated to pay out $35,000 to twelve contestant winners as part of a "Seattle shutout" promotion.

http://www.komonews.com/sports/Seahawks ... 58391.html
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays. 
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• That's a "healthy" sum for a promotional; the food? Not so healthy.
    NET Veteran

• apparently they had some sort of insurance policy so it really only cost them 7K?

what kind of insurance policy is that I wonder.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

• Damn. I wish i had taken advantage of that. Good on the dealership to honor the promotion. Congrats to the winners.
    tubbs51
    NET Starter

• I doubt that you are going to find any sympathy for a car dealership on this board!
    Bigpumpkin
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• Business promotions like this are always backed by insurance. My company runs 2 or 3 of them annually.
    Anguish
    * NET Developer *

• There is an exception to the insurance. The NBA team that shall not be named has a bank sponsoring the halftime halfway shot for $20k. It is not insured and has been won a few times this year. But in general lots if insurance companies takes these bets. All insurance is anyways. Asses the chances it will happen, set the financial risk and then you set the premium....
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• Hawknballs wrote:apparently they had some sort of insurance policy so it really only cost them 7K?

It's sold for many different promotions... a Million dollar hole in one golfing contest, a mid-court basketball shout for $50k and so on. Like here for example: http://www.interactivepromotions.com/
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *

• I remember hearing that commercial on kiro710 and I was thinking in my head That couldn't possibly happen could it? The Seahawks on the road and a 10 am game. And boom they did B3lieve it.
    Us vs Them
    NinjaHawk38
    NET Bench Warmer

• That commercial replayed in my head at half time when I saw that the Giants had 46 yards.

I pictured a group of insurance agents as some of the few cheering for the GIants, and how dismal they must have felt when that last pass got volleyballed to Sherman.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• Hawknballs wrote:apparently they had some sort of insurance policy so it really only cost them 7K?

Companies always take out insurance for promotions like this.

Usually any prize you ever see through an ad would be paid by an insurance company.

So yeah, this will only cost the dealership $7K.

For them, it is actually better. Now instead of throwing $7K away (which most companies do when they buy these types of policies), they are getting huge publicity out of the fact that their $7K actually bought a payout from the insurance company. Their $7K was actually money well spent.
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

• HawkFan72 wrote:
    Hawknballs wrote:apparently they had some sort of insurance policy so it really only cost them 7K?

Usually any prize you ever see through an ad would be paid by an insurance company.

For them, it is actually better. Now instead of throwing $7K away (which most companies do when they buy these types of policies), they are getting huge publicity out of the fact that their $7K actually bought a payout from the insurance company. Their $7K was actually money well spent.

Exactly, this is a big boom for this business. It's getting national play also. Best advertising you can do right here.
    jblaze
    NET Veteran

• HawkFan72 wrote:
    Hawknballs wrote:apparently they had some sort of insurance policy so it really only cost them 7K?

Add to that people that bought a car got 100 votes.

When refrigerator dealers and tv dealers do this there is always a percentage that brings the good back. On a car after all the paperwork most likely not happening (not sure on washington's laws in regards to the 3 day regret policy).

So he probably sold 1-2 cars just because of this if not more plus the publicity afterwards.
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

I own an insurance agency. You can buy what's called "special event" insurance, it's the same companies that pay out for hole in one shots or half court shots, that kind of stuff.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

• Pretty good publicity for $7k
    "it'd be a newborn deer" - pehawk
    Hawk Strap
    * Handsome *

• mikeak wrote:When refrigerator dealers and tv dealers do this there is always a percentage that brings the good back. On a car after all the paperwork most likely not happening (not sure on washington's laws in regards to the 3 day regret policy).

So he probably sold 1-2 cars just because of this if not more plus the publicity afterwards.

It doesn't apply to cars. If you sign the paperwork and drive it off the lot, it's yours. I think the only way you can force a return after that is via the lemon laws.
    49ers webzone: Win or lose, i hope you injure Sherman. Like a serious career ending injury. I don't want him to get paid.
    49ers webzone: noise should not be the overwhelming reason a team is favored. they need to spray noise-damping foam onto the ceiling of that place.
    BlueTalon
    * NET Curmudgeon *
    * NET Curmudgeon *

• Hawk Strap wrote:Pretty good publicity for $7k

The dealership is as happy as a clam! "Best money we ever spent"! This event will have at least a one year "residual" payoff in new customers. Win-Win!
    Bigpumpkin
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:12 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information