#1 total defense and #1 scoring defense

12thManNorth

Reaction score
Came into the game #1 in YPG allowed, and put up a wall all game. Definitely staying at #1

Also now with the points Carolina has allowed, we're now #1 in the NFL in points allowed

Came into the game #1 in turnovers forced and got 5 more, so we're definitely staying there.

#1 in pressuring the QB

Had 2 games where we gave up 200 rush yds, but besides that our Run D has been upper echelon the vast majority of the time

With all the talk about Carolina's D, San Fran's D, etc, to me there is NO DOUBT we are the best in the NFL.

The most impressive part has to be all the absences they've overcome. Started the season missing several guys on the D line, missed Wagner for a couple, KJ today, and everything that's happened to our secondary has been well documented.

Consider me impressed

jayness

Reaction score
Defense turned in a solid game today. I love seeing Lane and Maxwell step up.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
So we are the #1 defense in the NFL right? So many variables I can't keep them all straight.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Aros - definitely. Scoring defense is by far the best single metric you can sort by on NFL.com, even though they "rate" it by yardage; but we're #1 in both, so.

imnKOgnito

Reaction score
Does that make 3 times this year we've held an opponent under 200 yards for a full game? I know it's at least twice. That's just nasty.

SoHo9erFan

Reaction score
pretty sure the seahawks have had the undisputed #1 D dating back to last season

-The Glove-

Reaction score
SoHo9erFan":ky4p4f7v said:
pretty sure the seahawks have had the undisputed #1 D dating back to last season
last year, I wouldn't say so. Too many 4th qtr breakdowns

SoHo9erFan

Reaction score
-The Glove-":243zu613 said:
SoHo9erFan":243zu613 said:
true, but who was better? i'd say no one..

in regards to this year, it's been fairly obvious that the D is #1

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
SoHo9erFan":3efuvcmp said:
-The Glove-":3efuvcmp said:
SoHo9erFan":3efuvcmp said:
true, but who was better? i'd say no one..

in regards to this year, it's been fairly obvious that the D is #1

SoHo is correct. We had the #1 scoring defense in the league last year, finished at 15.3 points allowed per game for the full regular season. Had the #2 defense per DVOA, (Football Outsiders) however. Chicago won that one mainly because of how insane their defense was for the first eight games of the season, or so.

Right now we have the #1 scoring defense in the NFL (including today's games) at 14.6 points allowed per game, and we have the #1 defense per DVOA. Last year's DVOA was -14.5%, (negative is better for defensive DVOA) but right now we're at -20.2%, and that does NOT include today's game, which will make it even better.

It was somewhat arguable if we were really the best defense last year, but this year it's not even arguable. We face Arizona and St. Louis, both at home, for our final two games. We might finish with a defense allowing 12-13 points per game for the year, lol. With all the offense-friendly rules in this day and age, I think it might realistically be on par with the '85 Bears; but who knows? You can't really compare due to how different things are now as compared to then.

Polk738

Reaction score
2013 Seattle Seahawks Defense -Pts/G --14.6 Yds/G --279.5 Tot Pts--205

1985 Chicago Bears Defense -Pts/G --12.4 Yds/G --258.4 Tot Pts --198

2002 Tampa Bay Bucs Defense -Pts/G --12.2 Yds/G --252.8 Tot Pts --196

2000 Baltimore Ravens Defense -Pts/G --10.3 Yds/G --247.9 Tot Pts --165

Close to 85 Bears however we still have two more games to go, looking at these stats I can't believe how dominant the 2000 Ravens were. Anyway, we've definitely had a lights out defense this year an I think a lot of it has to do with our awesome secondary and amazing depth on this team.

Perfundle

Reaction score
Polk738":38rwnm3e said:
2013 Seattle Seahawks Defense -Pts/G --14.6 Yds/G --279.5 Tot Pts--205

1985 Chicago Bears Defense -Pts/G --12.4 Yds/G --258.4 Tot Pts --198

2002 Tampa Bay Bucs Defense -Pts/G --12.2 Yds/G --252.8 Tot Pts --196

2000 Baltimore Ravens Defense -Pts/G --10.3 Yds/G --247.9 Tot Pts --165

Close to 85 Bears however we still have two more games to go, looking at these stats I can't believe how dominant the 2000 Ravens were. Anyway, we've definitely had a lights out defense this year an I think a lot of it has to do with our awesome secondary and amazing depth on this team.
You have to consider that scoring was lower in the NFL back then, so difference from league average would be a better comparison.

2013 Seattle Seahawks Defense -Pts/G --14.6, 8.9 points lower than average

1985 Chicago Bears Defense -Pts/G --12.4, 9.1 points lower than average

2002 Tampa Bay Bucs Defense -Pts/G --12.2, 9.5 points lower than average

2000 Baltimore Ravens Defense -Pts/G --10.3, 10.4 points lower than average

Looked at that way, Seattle is right there with the others, and they play two below-average offenses at home to finish the season, so their average could drop further.

253hawk

Reaction score
Defenses were allowed to get away with a lot more back then; nowadays all a WR has to do now is put his arms out like some NBA chump and he'll get a pity flag (or slap the ground and scream like Brady.) Can't breathe on a QB any more, can't hit a guy over the middle without letting him fully control the ball first, can't tackle above the waist, stud RB's/FB's were everywhere and WR's were supporting cast...it's nothing close to the game it was a decade ago. The NFL wants offense and points, because that's good for ratings; i.e. profit.

Also another impressive stat:

Seahawks have held opposing quarterbacks to a league-best 64.3 QB rating. That roughly equates to Geno Smith.

kearly

Reaction score
I think what impresses me is just how solid this defense is at all three levels. Last year's defense had great stats, but also had exploitable weaknesses. This year's defense is about as airtight as it gets.