#1 total defense and #1 scoring defense

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • Came into the game #1 in YPG allowed, and put up a wall all game. Definitely staying at #1

Also now with the points Carolina has allowed, we're now #1 in the NFL in points allowed

Came into the game #1 in turnovers forced and got 5 more, so we're definitely staying there.

#1 in pressuring the QB

Had 2 games where we gave up 200 rush yds, but besides that our Run D has been upper echelon the vast majority of the time

With all the talk about Carolina's D, San Fran's D, etc, to me there is NO DOUBT we are the best in the NFL.

The most impressive part has to be all the absences they've overcome. Started the season missing several guys on the D line, missed Wagner for a couple, KJ today, and everything that's happened to our secondary has been well documented.

Consider me impressed
    12thManNorth
    NET Rookie

#1 total defense and #1 scoring defense
Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:07 pm
  • Thanks to the Jets scoring 20 on the Panthers, we're barely ahead of them in scoring defense.
    Erebus
    NET Veteran

• I'm 3 minutes late. Go ahead and lock or merge this one.
    Erebus
    NET Veteran

• Yep what he said^!
    The Great Hawktini
    NET Rookie

• Defense turned in a solid game today. I love seeing Lane and Maxwell step up.
    jayness
    NET Bench Warmer

• Edit - now #2 in turnovers, 1 behind KC, thanks to friggin Oakland coughing it up to em 6 times
    12thManNorth
    NET Rookie

• So we are the #1 defense in the NFL right? So many variables I can't keep them all straight.

"We're picking up speed. The train is coming." - Earl Thomas 11/15/14
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• lol, yes :)
    12thManNorth
    NET Rookie

• Aros - definitely. Scoring defense is by far the best single metric you can sort by on NFL.com, even though they "rate" it by yardage; but we're #1 in both, so.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Does that make 3 times this year we've held an opponent under 200 yards for a full game? I know it's at least twice. That's just nasty.
    imnKOgnito
    NET Veteran

• 12thManNorth wrote:lol, yes :)

Blame the 4 glasses of wine why dontcha! ;)

"We're picking up speed. The train is coming." - Earl Thomas 11/15/14
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• pretty sure the seahawks have had the undisputed #1 D dating back to last season
    SoHo9erFan
    NET Veteran

• SoHo9erFan wrote:pretty sure the seahawks have had the undisputed #1 D dating back to last season
    last year, I wouldn't say so. Too many 4th qtr breakdowns
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

• -The Glove- wrote:
    SoHo9erFan wrote:pretty sure the seahawks have had the undisputed #1 D dating back to last season

true, but who was better? i'd say no one..

in regards to this year, it's been fairly obvious that the D is #1
    SoHo9erFan
    NET Veteran

• CHAMPIONSHIP DEFENSE!

All you need to know!
    #NEXTMANUP
    #LEAVEMARSHAWNALONE
    Evil_Shenanigans
    NET Veteran

• SoHo9erFan wrote:
    -The Glove- wrote:
    SoHo9erFan wrote:pretty sure the seahawks have had the undisputed #1 D dating back to last season

true, but who was better? i'd say no one..

in regards to this year, it's been fairly obvious that the D is #1

SoHo is correct. We had the #1 scoring defense in the league last year, finished at 15.3 points allowed per game for the full regular season. Had the #2 defense per DVOA, (Football Outsiders) however. Chicago won that one mainly because of how insane their defense was for the first eight games of the season, or so.

Right now we have the #1 scoring defense in the NFL (including today's games) at 14.6 points allowed per game, and we have the #1 defense per DVOA. Last year's DVOA was -14.5%, (negative is better for defensive DVOA) but right now we're at -20.2%, and that does NOT include today's game, which will make it even better.

It was somewhat arguable if we were really the best defense last year, but this year it's not even arguable. We face Arizona and St. Louis, both at home, for our final two games. We might finish with a defense allowing 12-13 points per game for the year, lol. With all the offense-friendly rules in this day and age, I think it might realistically be on par with the '85 Bears; but who knows? You can't really compare due to how different things are now as compared to then.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• 2013 Seattle Seahawks Defense -Pts/G --14.6 Yds/G --279.5 Tot Pts--205

1985 Chicago Bears Defense -Pts/G --12.4 Yds/G --258.4 Tot Pts --198

2002 Tampa Bay Bucs Defense -Pts/G --12.2 Yds/G --252.8 Tot Pts --196

2000 Baltimore Ravens Defense -Pts/G --10.3 Yds/G --247.9 Tot Pts --165

Close to 85 Bears however we still have two more games to go, looking at these stats I can't believe how dominant the 2000 Ravens were. Anyway, we've definitely had a lights out defense this year an I think a lot of it has to do with our awesome secondary and amazing depth on this team.
    Polk738
    NET Practice Squad

• Polk738 wrote:2013 Seattle Seahawks Defense -Pts/G --14.6 Yds/G --279.5 Tot Pts--205

Close to 85 Bears however we still have two more games to go, looking at these stats I can't believe how dominant the 2000 Ravens were. Anyway, we've definitely had a lights out defense this year an I think a lot of it has to do with our awesome secondary and amazing depth on this team.

You have to consider that scoring was lower in the NFL back then, so difference from league average would be a better comparison.

2013 Seattle Seahawks Defense -Pts/G --14.6, 8.9 points lower than average

1985 Chicago Bears Defense -Pts/G --12.4, 9.1 points lower than average

2002 Tampa Bay Bucs Defense -Pts/G --12.2, 9.5 points lower than average

2000 Baltimore Ravens Defense -Pts/G --10.3, 10.4 points lower than average

Looked at that way, Seattle is right there with the others, and they play two below-average offenses at home to finish the season, so their average could drop further.
    Perfundle
    NET Rookie

• Defenses were allowed to get away with a lot more back then; nowadays all a WR has to do now is put his arms out like some NBA chump and he'll get a pity flag (or slap the ground and scream like Brady.) Can't breathe on a QB any more, can't hit a guy over the middle without letting him fully control the ball first, can't tackle above the waist, stud RB's/FB's were everywhere and WR's were supporting cast...it's nothing close to the game it was a decade ago. The NFL wants offense and points, because that's good for ratings; i.e. profit.

Also another impressive stat:

Seahawks have held opposing quarterbacks to a league-best 64.3 QB rating. That roughly equates to Geno Smith.
    253hawk
    NET Veteran

• I think what impresses me is just how solid this defense is at all three levels. Last year's defense had great stats, but also had exploitable weaknesses. This year's defense is about as airtight as it gets.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• kearly wrote:I think what impresses me is just how solid this defense is at all three levels. Last year's defense had great stats, but also had exploitable weaknesses. This year's defense is about as airtight as it gets.

I completely agree. Frankly, we also got lucky a number of times last year at critical points. Despite being only marginally better overall in defensive stats, I think this year's defense is quite a bit better than last year's. Our BFF DVOA is backing this assertion quite nicely right now, too; and it's definitely not just because of an improved pass rush.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• RolandDeschain wrote:
    kearly wrote:I think what impresses me is just how solid this defense is at all three levels. Last year's defense had great stats, but also had exploitable weaknesses. This year's defense is about as airtight as it gets.

I completely agree. Frankly, we also got lucky a number of times last year at critical points. Despite being only marginally better overall in defensive stats, I think this year's defense is quite a bit better than last year's. Our BFF DVOA is backing this assertion quite nicely right now, too; and it's definitely not just because of an improved pass rush.

I'd agree and say our really only exploitable weakness might be the run game. Teams still get some here and there, and the occasional team will gash us. I'll call it exploitable after the SF game, at least for now.

All things considered, it's as airtight as you get in this league now. I think you have to decide what kind of DL you want: big bodied run stoppers or penetrating pressure the QB. I think we have a really good mix of both.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

• Polk738 wrote:2013 Seattle Seahawks Defense -Pts/G --14.6 Yds/G --279.5 Tot Pts--205

Hmmmm... and what do all 3 of those other defenses have in common??
    LawlessHawk
    NET Veteran

• LawlessHawk wrote:
    Polk738 wrote:2013 Seattle Seahawks Defense -Pts/G --14.6 Yds/G --279.5 Tot Pts--205

Hmmmm... and what do all 3 of those other defenses have in common??

Super Bowl champs!
    "Tracy Porter lost his manhood when Marshawn stiff armed him" some dude on youtube.
    suppaball
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

• Hawks46 wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:
    kearly wrote:I think what impresses me is just how solid this defense is at all three levels. Last year's defense had great stats, but also had exploitable weaknesses. This year's defense is about as airtight as it gets.

I'd agree and say our really only exploitable weakness might be the run game. Teams still get some here and there, and the occasional team will gash us. I'll call it exploitable after the SF game, at least for now.

All things considered, it's as airtight as you get in this league now. I think you have to decide what kind of DL you want: big bodied run stoppers or penetrating pressure the QB. I think we have a really good mix of both.

Yeah, I think that happens when we get caught with the wrong package on the field. Like most teams, our run defense can ge thrown on a little better, and our pass D can be run on a little better, but we still cover both pretty well. Speed kills and we have an abundance of that all over. Plus, they tackle better than most teams, so when they get there, they seal the deal.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:27 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information