How do you feel when.....

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
How do you feel when.....
Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:33 pm
  • Russell Wilson just throws those balls up in the air "allowing the wr to make a play"? I feel like its a careless play, with no creativity, and its more or less relying on luck. I personally hate that play call, unless we are behind and need big plays. Seems like Wilsons throws are off target as much as on, and if our wr (tate) didn't make their plays, it would be picked off. when Tate is 1 on 1, I get the odds are in our favor. But what about when its 2 on 1, or 3 on 1?

what do you guys think?
    "Beast mode was engaged, and when beast mode is engaged, no one can stop him"-- Some skins fan
    "I envy that hard hitting Seahawks D. Love the attitude they play with." Justblaze2729 Denver Fan
    Hawk4lyfe
    NET Rookie

Re: How do you feel when.....
Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:42 pm
  • :twisted: 12-2!!!
    The Great Hawktini
    NET Rookie

Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:44 pm
  • He tends to throw some floaters
    Seaswab
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:44 pm
  • if it's single coverage, particularly to tate, willson, or miller, i'd throw that all day long. on the other hand, when it gets to being double coverage on lockette, then it's a bad decision.
    mrblitz
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:45 pm
  • I think there is more art and skill to it then you think. Watch Aaron Rodgers, he lives off those same back shoulder fade routes. The Giants did a good job covering them today and the Seahawks weren't able to make the plays, but thats more of the exception than the rule. Its a good way to take advantage of off zone coverage and I've seen the Seahawks convert quite a few third downs with those back shoulder routes at the sticks. The interception was a misread and a bad throw, not an overall schematic issue.

Also worth noting that the Seahawks explicitly teach their corners to stay on the back hip so that they aren't susceptible to those throws.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:50 pm
  • seahawk2k wrote:I think there is more art and skill to it then you think. Watch Aaron Rodgers, he lives off those same back shoulder fade routes. The Giants did a good job covering them today and the Seahawks weren't able to make the plays, but thats more of the exception than the rule. Its a good way to take advantage of off zone coverage and I've seen the Seahawks convert quite a few third downs with those back shoulder routes at the sticks. The interception was a misread and a bad throw, not an overall schematic issue.

Also worth noting that the Seahawks explicitly teach their corners to stay on the back hip so that they aren't susceptible to those throws.

alright, I see your point. When its open, and the receiver has his guy beat, I get it. But when he just chucks it up (and the wr often has to come back, cuz its underthrown) and he expects the wr to win the jump ball, it just feels like a prayer play. I'm not questioning Wilson per say, just that play at times. 1 vs 1 id take all day too. Id rather just see the guys get in the open spot in the zone or Wilson run for 5 or 6. my 2 cents. wondering how others feel tho
    "Beast mode was engaged, and when beast mode is engaged, no one can stop him"-- Some skins fan
    "I envy that hard hitting Seahawks D. Love the attitude they play with." Justblaze2729 Denver Fan
    Hawk4lyfe
    NET Rookie

Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:50 pm
  • Dont care for it either. Yeah, its worked a few times this year (hasnt hurt us a bunch) but i'd hate to see us have to rely on it for the big play. Yes, we're 12-2 and i'm as happy as anyone, but it seems like tossing up a ball up on what amounts to slightly better than 50-50 odds isnt them most reliable of strategies - particularly when the wr is a 2nd year player not known for making those type of plays. If we had megatron, sure, toss it up and let him go get it. But its iffy even with Tate 1 on 1. And... today's version was on 1st down.
    keasley45
    NET Practice Squad

Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:51 pm
  • Maybe I'm just being overly critical because the playoffs are coming up, and I want the team to be peaking and playing at their best.
    Hawk4lyfe
    NET Rookie

Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:51 pm
  • It's a terrific throw against single coverage if you can throw an accurate and catchable ball. Some of Seattle's biggest plays of the last two years have come on these exact types of throws.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:53 pm
  • Hawk4lyfe wrote:
    seahawk2k wrote:I think there is more art and skill to it then you think. Watch Aaron Rodgers, he lives off those same back shoulder fade routes. The Giants did a good job covering them today and the Seahawks weren't able to make the plays, but thats more of the exception than the rule. Its a good way to take advantage of off zone coverage and I've seen the Seahawks convert quite a few third downs with those back shoulder routes at the sticks. The interception was a misread and a bad throw, not an overall schematic issue.

alright, I see your point. When its open, and the receiver has his guy beat, I get it. But when he just chucks it up (and the wr often has to come back, cuz its underthrown) and he expects the wr to win the jump ball, it just feels like a prayer play. I'm not questioning Wilson per say, just that play at times. 1 vs 1 id take all day too. Id rather just see the guys get in the open spot in the zone or Wilson run for 5 or 6. my 2 cents. wondering how others feel tho

The ball is supposed to be a little underthrown on those routes. The thinking is that the receiver has better ball skills than the defender and will make the better and quicker adjustment.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:54 pm
  • seahawk2k wrote:I think there is more art and skill to it then you think. Watch Aaron Rodgers, he lives off those same back shoulder fade routes. The Giants did a good job covering them today and the Seahawks weren't able to make the plays, but thats more of the exception than the rule. Its a good way to take advantage of off zone coverage and I've seen the Seahawks convert quite a few third downs with those back shoulder routes at the sticks. The interception was a misread and a bad throw, not an overall schematic issue.

when GB does it, its timed well and the ball is there when the wr turns around. When we do it, it hangs up and is often underthrown. Odds aren't nearly as good. GB's QB usually throws that ball on a flatter trajectory as well.
    keasley45
    NET Practice Squad

• Hawk4lyfe wrote:Russell Wilson just throws those balls up in the air "allowing the wr to make a play"? I feel like its a careless play, with no creativity, and its more or less relying on luck. I personally hate that play call, unless we are behind and need big plays. Seems like Wilsons throws are off target as much as on, and if our wr (tate) didn't make their plays, it would be picked off. when Tate is 1 on 1, I get the odds are in our favor. But what about when its 2 on 1, or 3 on 1?

what do you guys think?

Minus the throw into double coverage today, I think it's a GREAT play! I'm hoping RW just mis read the safety today. But our receivers are so good at those plays I wouldn't dare think of taking them away from him.
    It's payback, Russell Wilson falling way back
    In the draft, turn nothing into something, still can make that
    Will I
    NET Rookie

• keasley45 wrote:Dont care for it either. Yeah, its worked a few times this year (hasnt hurt us a bunch) but i'd hate to see us have to rely on it for the big play. Yes, we're 12-2 and i'm as happy as anyone, but it seems like tossing up a ball up on what amounts to slightly better than 50-50 odds isnt them most reliable of strategies - particularly when the wr is a 2nd year player not known for making those type of plays. If we had megatron, sure, toss it up and let him go get it. But its iffy even with Tate 1 on 1. And... today's version was on 1st down.

Exactly. If he isn't open, find a diff wr (unless we are behind and need to take those types of chances) or let Wilson scramble.

Would anyone else like to see more screens (maybe with Michael back there)?? Especially when Lynch doesn't have much running room or they are stacking the box. seems like with his speed, he could do some damage
    Hawk4lyfe
    NET Rookie

Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:56 pm
  • seahawk2k wrote:
    Hawk4lyfe wrote:
    seahawk2k wrote:I think there is more art and skill to it then you think. Watch Aaron Rodgers, he lives off those same back shoulder fade routes. The Giants did a good job covering them today and the Seahawks weren't able to make the plays, but thats more of the exception than the rule. Its a good way to take advantage of off zone coverage and I've seen the Seahawks convert quite a few third downs with those back shoulder routes at the sticks. The interception was a misread and a bad throw, not an overall schematic issue.

The ball is supposed to be a little underthrown on those routes. The thinking is that the receiver has better ball skills than the defender and will make the better and quicker adjustment.

So that's intentional? Huh, ok. I didn't know that. Still not crazy about that play or strategy personally. Especially against playoff caliber teams. I just hope we aren't putting too much emphasis on those plays, and relying on them too much. Feels shaky to me is all.
    Hawk4lyfe
    NET Rookie

Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:57 pm
  • They're great throws and difficult to pull off. It's one of the reasons Russell is so good. It's all about positioning, letting the WR make a play and use his body, like Kearse's catch on the flea-flicker in Atlanta. It's all the more amazing considering we don't have a tall, physical receiver like Vincent Jackson or the WRs in Chicago.
    Tall men come down to my height when I hit 'em in the body.

Jack Dempsey
    Fuzzman55
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:01 pm
  • I was thinking the deep throw in the fourth into double coverage was a head-scratcher.

Not sure, but I don't remember a single PI call today either. A 15-yard holding on them, but THAT was weird too.
    "...Seattle has become the capital city of the New NFL" - Kip Earlywine
    :les: Remembering "The Radish"...
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Mechanic *

Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:02 pm
  • Throwing the ball short of where the DB is going is the entire philosophy of the back shoulder throw. It is arguably the most un-defendable throw in football. Wilson was only burned today because the DB had safety help. In one-on-one situations, it's a far safer throw (unless your DB has Sherman's ball skills).
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:02 pm
  • Hawk4lyfe wrote:
    seahawk2k wrote:
    Hawk4lyfe wrote:

So that's intentional? Huh, ok. I didn't know that. Still not crazy about that play or strategy personally. Especially against playoff caliber teams. I just hope we aren't putting too much emphasis on those plays, and relying on them too much. Feels shaky to me is all.

Thats fine, its not my favorite route in the tree either, but more often than not, it has worked. Rolle made a couple great plays today in coverage and Russell misread the coverage on a play. It is what it is.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:18 pm
  • I don't mind if it's 1 on 1 coverage to Tate, Kearse, or Baldwin. Anyone else though, it's a no go.
    20% off Karmaloop & 10% off PLNDR, rep code: DUCK20
    dontbelikethat
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:18 pm
  • For a guy that some here claim throws so many 50-50 catch-interception jump balls, he sure doesn't have many interceptions.
    pocketprotector
    NET Starter

Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:10 pm
  • DavidSeven wrote:Throwing the ball short of where the DB is going is the entire philosophy of the back shoulder throw. It is arguably the most un-defendable throw in football. Wilson was only burned today because the DB had safety help. In one-on-one situations, it's a far safer throw (unless your DB has Sherman's ball skills).

there's a big difference between a jump ball and a back shoulder throw. a back shoulder throw is difficult to defend. Hass and Djack made a living doing it. Russ throws a short, jump ball.
    keasley45
    NET Practice Squad

Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:21 pm
  • dontbelikethat wrote:I don't mind if it's 1 on 1 coverage to Tate, Kearse, or Baldwin. Anyone else though, it's a no go.

This, especially if it's to Tate.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

ImageImage

Proud member of the 38 club
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:22 pm
  • I'm pretty sure the throw to Lockette was an overthrow, otherwise I think Ricardo would have caught it.

Russell had some uncharacteristic overthrows lately and the whole offense seems off a bit. Hope they get it cleared up and get our running game going again.
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:22 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information