Resting starters

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Resting starters
Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:33 pm
  • Just listening to Pete I nfl network and he as asked about resting starters after we clinch which has been debated here quite a bit. Pete's answer pretty much what I expected and that is that he doesn't just rest starters and that he wants to play ascertain way and that they won't just sit starters just because we clinch

A side note question to anyone else listening... Was the question asked by a kid? It really sounded like it was asked by a 12 year old boy.

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Re: Resting starters
Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:35 pm
  • Biggest mistake number one seeds make is resting their starters. Lose their momentum and become rusty. Start looking at not playing for 3 weeks, you lose your edge. Do not stop doing what you are doing
    warden
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:53 pm
  • warden wrote:Biggest mistake number one seeds make is resting their starters. Lose their momentum and become rusty. Start looking at not playing for 3 weeks, you lose your edge. Do not stop doing what you are doing

It's a risk reward ratio. I would probably play Russell 100% next week and 1st half of last game.
    seabowl
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:00 pm
  • warden wrote:Biggest mistake number one seeds make is resting their starters. Lose their momentum and become rusty. Start looking at not playing for 3 weeks, you lose your edge. Do not stop doing what you are doing

You're taking a MASSIVE risk. I personally would not take it. They will sit for the 1st round bye anyways, what's the p[roblem with an extra week of rest?

Especially when you take into consideration what is at risk. Right now the Seahawks have a VERY GOOD likelyhood of winning the superbowl. That would go up in absolute flames if Wilson was hurt. It would be incredibly damaged if Earl or Sherm or Okung were hurt. Earl plays with reckless abandon, every time there is a tackle to be made, the buy shoots in there like a missle with his head down. It is a recipe for disaster. How many times did Russell get hit today? Each hit presents an opportunity to be injured, to bust a knee or a shoulder or something.

I would sit Wilson without doubt. Earl/Sherm/Okung would all be riding the pine as well. But this is Pete's system and his team, and it's been working. So who am I to say he is wrong?
    plyka
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:03 pm
  • plyka wrote:
    warden wrote:Biggest mistake number one seeds make is resting their starters. Lose their momentum and become rusty. Start looking at not playing for 3 weeks, you lose your edge. Do not stop doing what you are doing

You're taking a MASSIVE risk. I personally would not take it. They will sit for the 1st round bye anyways, what's the p[roblem with an extra week of rest?

Especially when you take into consideration what is at risk. Right now the Seahawks have a VERY GOOD likelyhood of winning the superbowl. That would go up in absolute flames if Wilson was hurt. It would be incredibly damaged if Earl or Sherm or Okung were hurt. Earl plays with reckless abandon, every time there is a tackle to be made, the buy shoots in there like a missle with his head down. It is a recipe for disaster. How many times did Russell get hit today? Each hit presents an opportunity to be injured, to bust a knee or a shoulder or something.

I would sit Wilson without doubt. Earl/Sherm/Okung would all be riding the pine as well. But this is Pete's system and his team, and it's been working. So who am I to say he is wrong?

Not going to win the Super Bowl if you lose in the playoffs because your players are rusty because of too long of a lay off.
    warden
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:05 pm
  • I think the Question was asked by Kaps love child, he's scared for his dads safety if the Niners meet the Hawks in playoffs! :P
    The Great Hawktini
    NET Rookie

Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:05 pm
  • I think the Question was asked by Kaps love child, he's scared for his dads safety if the Niners meet the Hawks in playoffs! :P
    The Great Hawktini
    NET Rookie

Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:08 pm
  • The 2011 Packers dominated the NFL all season then rested starters for three weeks and got blown out by the 9-7 Giants at home. Aaron Rodgers has said he would never sit out a regular season finale again.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:34 pm
  • What part of Always Compete would lead anyone to think Pete would sit his starters? Yes, he'll likely take them out sooner, but there was never any question that they'd play--at least in my mind.
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    sc85sis
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:46 pm
  • plyka wrote:
    warden wrote:Biggest mistake number one seeds make is resting their starters. Lose their momentum and become rusty. Start looking at not playing for 3 weeks, you lose your edge. Do not stop doing what you are doing

That comes off like double condoming, you play afraid and you get hurt, you sit and you lose your edge, teams that rest come out flat, it has been done and proven. You have to keep your edge and competitive juices flowing. Telling your guys your afraid they will get hurt also tells them that you don't think they are smart enough to protect themselves, it tells the rest of the team always compete is just a catch phrase.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:52 pm
  • Now is the time to protect your starters and try a few things/players that you might not regularly do. If I were Chistine Michael I would be in Pete's ear about now.
    #NEXTMANUP
    Evil_Shenanigans
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:01 pm
  • 'We will never do that, that's not the way we think...We will never take that approach, we don't believe in that'. That's as concrete as concrete can be. Also, jeez it did sound like a kid!
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain.

"Beast Mode is artist, puny Saints Defense merely his canvas!"

"When you die the only kingdom you'll see, will be two foot wide and six foot deep!"
    HawksSoc
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:01 pm
  • Evil_Shenanigans wrote:Now is the time to protect your starters and try a few things/players that you might not regularly do. If I were Chistine Michael I would be in Pete's ear about now.

Yes when playing the best in franchise history we should experiment. Why didn't Pete think of this?

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:17 pm
  • What have we clinched again? I thought we were trying to clinch the overall #1 seed.
    We could still finish #5 seed and have to go on the road.
    Joe
    joeseahawks
    *The Prophet*

Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:17 pm
  • I'd guess the only starter that rests will be Marshawn.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

Proud member of the 38 club
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:28 pm
  • When will we see Christine Michael get a chance? Lynch seems a bit out of sorts and may need a rest/less reps to keep him fresh. Turbin frustrates the hell out of me, see to go down to easily.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Rookie

Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:27 pm
  • I hope they play it out. Show no signs of weakness. Rolling into the playoffs as the 1 seed and riding a 16 game home turf win streak would be very intimidating for whoever winds up coming to town. Don't let anyone even harbor the thought that they have a chance to win when they come here.
    12 LOUD AND PROUD 12
    SEAHAWKBLITZ
    NET Practice Squad

Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:34 pm
  • We punted way more than I wanted to see, but the kick returns were just right. If the Hawks can extend more 2nd half drives I can see TJ and others resting these starters.
    I'm In!

What attracted you to the Seahawks?
    “It’s a combination of what I believe the coaches are doing here, the atmosphere and what I think we’re going to do here in the future. I think we’re going to win and win a lot and be a championship team.” – Zac Miller, August 4, 2011
    Seafan
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:44 pm
  • Seafan wrote:We punted way more than I wanted to see, but the kick returns were just right. If the Hawks can extend more 2nd half drives I can see TJ and others resting these starters.

.....maybe for the 4th quarter with a three score lead.
    Bigpumpkin
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:49 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:
    plyka wrote:

That comes off like double condoming, you play afraid and you get hurt, you sit and you lose your edge, teams that rest come out flat, it has been done and proven. You have to keep your edge and competitive juices flowing. Telling your guys your afraid they will get hurt also tells them that you don't think they are smart enough to protect themselves, it tells the rest of the team always compete is just a catch phrase.

That sounds nice and all but its all simple assertions. You claim something has been proven, where are your facts to back ot up? I'm not talking about a single case or even two or three, everyone can find exceptions to prove their point it doesn't mean anything. Also according to your logic, would you rather the hawks got a lower seed so the byepass the first round bye? So they don't get rusty or flat?
    plyka
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:52 pm
  • SEAHAWKBLITZ wrote:I hope they play it out. Show no signs of weakness. Rolling into the playoffs as the 1 seed and riding a 16 game home turf win streak would be very intimidating for whoever winds up coming to town. Don't let anyone even harbor the thought that they have a chance to win when they come here.

Just out of curiosity, how upset would you be if in week 16 in a completely meaningless game Russell Wilson gets sacked and breaks his collar bone like Aaron Rodgers did a few weeks ago? We are assuming the hawks have clinched the number one seed.

Just put yourself un that position right now and ask yourself was it worth the risk?
    plyka
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:57 pm
  • I bet everyone will start against STL, but there will be some very short hooks. I'd sure like to see TJack play much of that game. But if I'm Carroll, I want the whole team to prep like it's a regular game, not just the backups.
    Reaneypark
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:35 pm
  • Of course I wouldn't want anyone to get hurt. But I still want to win and stay sharp going into the playoffs. But T-Jack may be able to handle the Rams anyway. We'll see. Sacrificing the home win streak for a Super Bowl is ok by me. Can't wait for the playoffs to start. The coaches will decide what they think is best.
    12 LOUD AND PROUD 12
    SEAHAWKBLITZ
    NET Practice Squad

Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:10 pm
  • Reaneypark wrote:I bet everyone will start against STL, but there will be some very short hooks. I'd sure like to see TJack play much of that game. But if I'm Carroll, I want the whole team to prep like it's a regular game, not just the backups.

I was thinking this yesterday, assuming we win againt the Cards.

Start the Rams game as normal, maybe HT pull Russ, Lynch, Okung, etc for TJack, Turbin/Michael, Bailey.

Same on D pull Bennett, Earl, Sherm
    Brithawk
    NET Rookie

Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:13 pm
  • I wouldn't want Pete to rest players cause I want them sharp after the bye. That being said, I wouldn't mind lynch getting a little time off cause I imagine he's pretty beat up and I don't think he could get rusty. Tho I doubt lynch would have any of it
    slipwax
    NET Starter

Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:22 pm
  • Bigpumpkin wrote:
    Seafan wrote:We punted way more than I wanted to see, but the kick returns were just right. If the Hawks can extend more 2nd half drives I can see TJ and others resting these starters.

.....maybe for the 4th quarter with a three score lead.

Locking the #1 seed was implied of course. :th2thumbs:
    I'm In!

What attracted you to the Seahawks?
    “It’s a combination of what I believe the coaches are doing here, the atmosphere and what I think we’re going to do here in the future. I think we’re going to win and win a lot and be a championship team.” – Zac Miller, August 4, 2011
    Seafan
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:23 pm
  • plyka wrote:

Back in 2006 when we were the #1 seed.. we basically were off for 2.5 weeks and came out extremely flat before ultimately pulling it together against an undermanned Redskins team.

Do you want to risk doing that against a San Francisco/Carolina/New Orleans? I sure don't.

I can see MAYBE sitting Lynch for most of it, especially since its unlikely he will catch McCoy for the rushing title, and giving Christine Michael a bulk of the carries. But I think you have to play Wilson at least 3 quarters to keep his timing with the offense on point. And hell, who knows, maybe Percy Harvin plays Week 17 before the playoffs.. which would also allow for some valuable in-game reps between the two.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:29 pm
  • plyka wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    plyka wrote:

That sounds nice and all but its all simple assertions. You claim something has been proven, where are your facts to back ot up? I'm not talking about a single case or even two or three, everyone can find exceptions to prove their point it doesn't mean anything. Also according to your logic, would you rather the hawks got a lower seed so the byepass the first round bye? So they don't get rusty or flat?

So examples of 1 ,2, 3, 4, 5, 6, are not enough since you want to cintibue your opinion, most seen the Colts, seen our Seahawks, and there have been others where things are not in sync and they look flat.

Having played sports myself for years time off and coming back you have to find a groove again, that takes time, it also gives the opponents opportunities to take advanatge of a situation. The playoffs are not forgiving in that fashion, you go for the throat, there is no next week.

I don't want to see anyone hurt, but more so I don't want to waste our shot either by playing the what if card.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:23 am
  • I get the argument both ways, but side with playing the starters the remainder of the season, even if we clinch everything next week.

That said, if we have a comfortable lead in week 17 against the Rams in the 2nd half then, of course, you pull 'em. But unless that's the case, you play them through.

We'll get 2 weeks off anyway. Don't make it a 3rd. End the season on a winning note, which I think will anyway.
    Zorn76
    NET Rookie

Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:58 am
  • I think you treat it kind of like pre-season, the 3rd game. Starters play the 1st half, then at least one or two drives in the third quarter.

But that's only if we build a big lead during that time. If the game is still on the line, I don't think you rest many players, even late in the second half. And of course, this doesn't mean much next Sunday. That's still a regular game that we really, really want to win so things are locked up. Then, the only thing we have to worry about in the playoffs, is whether we play Sat or Sun. :)
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:15 am
  • Exactly, let em play a little bit into the 3rd quarter of the Lambs game, then rest em up.
    60 percent of the time..........it works........every time
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:38 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information