Our team is like Pittsburgh

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Our team is like Pittsburgh
Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:34 am
  • Now...I know this is really hard to hear...but this team reminds me of the Steeler teams back in the days of early Ben. Now, most of this is based on memory so feel free to prove me wrong. Allow me to point out some general reasons:

1) Strength of the team is on defense. Great secondary. Knack for generating red-zone turnovers.

2) Efficient on offense. Good red-zone scoring efficiency. QB can escape trouble and turn disasters into big plays.

3) Excellent special teams all around.

4) Lots of luck. I used to think those Steeler teams were really luck until I watched us play this year. It isn't luck...these players are ready to force and recover fumbles, make interceptions, and come down with miraculous catches.

I'll always hate them...but I have some new respect for those Steeler teams.

Who else has noticed?
    "Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force."

- Barbie from Toy Story 3
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Re: Our team is like Pittsburgh
Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:38 am
  • I think that's a great comparison. We are not the Saints/Colts/Patriots of the last decade that tried to outscore opponents - we play solid foundational football. With hard work and focus comes the opportunistic turnovers, effort plays, etc.
    nsport
    * NET Sports Handicapper *

Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:56 am
  • nsport wrote:I think that's a great comparison. We are not the Saints/Colts/Patriots of the last decade that tried to outscore opponents - we play solid foundational football. With hard work and focus comes the opportunistic turnovers, effort plays, etc.

When the Patriots were winning Superbowls, their defense was better than their offense.
    pocketprotector
    NET Starter

Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:18 am
  • I've been saying the same thing for weeks. I think we are a little better than those Steelers teams, as I think Lynch is better than Bettis was at that stage of his career and Russell is better than R*******berger. There are some really strong comparisons - Thomas is often compared to Polamalu, Tate has been compared to Hines Ward. The good thing is we are built for a cold-weather post-season, a bit like those Steelers teams were as well.
    Machine-wrapped, with butter?

Yes, machine-wrapped, WITH BUTTER
    cdallan
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:29 am
  • lol. I've been saying the same thing since late last year!
    Mostly at work with all of us 400 yelling/gambling sports wackos on blast all day!
    But, we're more like the '05 team rather than all the other teams.
    ........that hurts a little.
    Last edited by TheHawkster on Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
    GET YOUR EAR PLUGS READY!!!
    TheHawkster
    * NET Bad Ass *

Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:37 am
  • I was going to puke when I saw the title, but that's a good comparison. :thirishdrinkers:
    HawkEye
    NET Rookie

Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:40 am
  • TheHawkster wrote:lol. I've been saying the same thing since late last year!
    Mostly at work with all of us 400 yelling/gambling sports wackos on blast all day!
    But, we're more like the '05 team rather than all the other team.
    ........that hurts a little.

I've actually been thinking the same thing since last year too...but this year solidifies the comparison IMO
    "Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force."

- Barbie from Toy Story 3
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:43 am
  • I see it :/
    509hawk
    NET Rookie

Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:04 am
  • So you're saying we're going to win an undeserved title?

Meh... I'll take it.
    hawksincebirth wrote:So Russell has leverage but marshawn doesn't ? I thought its next man up. Hey we got t jack and bj Daniels right ??
    Cartire
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:43 am
  • I think they are becoming more like the 70s stillirs with the exception of the physical size of our QB.

Our guys are hitting like them on defense and getting more like them on offense. If our pass rush continues to improve it will be an easy comparison to make.

I'd like to see a team that could shut out 5 teams in one season. I don't think that's been done since 75. Or was it 76,,,one of those two.

With the rule changes since then its hard to imagine a team doing that or being undefeated. It was easy to be a stillirs fan then because they had been the leagues doormat for years and it was a delight to see the gain with Chuck Noll as their coach.

Is Pete our Chuck Noll? We can only hope.

:les:
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:55 am
  • Cartire wrote:So you're saying we're going to win an undeserved title?

Meh... I'll take it.

Yeah, seems fine to me.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain.

"Beast Mode is artist, puny Saints Defense merely his canvas!"

"When you die the only kingdom you'll see, will be two foot wide and six foot deep!"
    HawksSoc
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:07 am
  • I'm not sure..

5-8
    11-2

Well we use the same numeric system, so yeah..
    Bobblehead
    NET Starter

Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:09 am
  • good comparison. I agree. I think we are better on special teams though.
    --/*Seattle Seahawks*\--
    hawks4thewin
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:14 am
  • Bobblehead wrote:I'm not sure..

5-8
    11-2

He said early Ben days as in super bowl XL, and XLIII.

and I agree there is a lot of similarities to our team and theres but I still think we have a slightly better offense when clicking.

Pick the score, Seahawks edition - 1st Season
    http://seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=96154

"Somehow a second year quarterback was more ready for this game, than a first ballot hall of famer!?"
    -DMac 104.3 Denver The Fan
    NFSeahawks628
    NET Veteran

Location: Born: Tacoma, WA Current Location: Augusta, GA (Road Hawk)

Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:20 am
  • Our team is far too good to be compared with those Stealer teams. We are far more comparable to the '85 Bears team. While we do not have the shutouts that the Bears had, our PPG is pretty comparable. Our special teams are very comparable as the Bears had fantastic coverage that season. McMahon had a really good season spreading the ball around to a lot of average receivers (probably the only one anyone not a Bears fan could name would be Willie Gault who was never really more than a 35 to 40 receptions guy), which is what most of the league sees our receivers as. They used a lot of passes to the outside and kept it out of the middle of the field for the most part just like we have.
    FIRE CABLE! 6 Home Games 9 False Starts By Linemen Lack Of Discipline
    BASF
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:23 am
  • NFSeahawks628 wrote:
    Bobblehead wrote:I'm not sure..

5-8
    11-2

He said early Ben days as in super bowl XL, and XLIII.

and I agree there is a lot of similarities to our team and theres but I still think we have a slightly better offense when clicking.

Damn it..LOL
    Bobblehead
    NET Starter

Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:01 pm
  • fenderbender123 wrote:Now...I know this is really hard to hear...but this team reminds me of the Steeler teams back in the days of early Ben. Now, most of this is based on memory so feel free to prove me wrong. Allow me to point out some general reasons:

1) Strength of the team is on defense. Great secondary. Knack for generating red-zone turnovers.

2) Efficient on offense. Good red-zone scoring efficiency. QB can escape trouble and turn disasters into big plays.

4) Lots of luck. I used to think those Steeler teams were really luck until I watched us play this year. It isn't luck...these players are ready to force and recover fumbles, make interceptions, and come down with miraculous catches.

Who else has noticed?

Wilson's first 2 years rival Roethlisberger's in terms of success as well. Though I think those Steeler teams masked him a lot more whereas Wilson has flat willed us to victory several times already.

It's a good comparison. I'd say this team is more like the Steeler team that beat Arizona. The one that beat us just got hot at the right time and had us collectively shit on ourselves while the refs handled the rest. :mrgreen:
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:13 pm

Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:50 pm
  • fenderbender123 wrote:Now...I know this is really hard to hear...but this team reminds me of the Steeler teams back in the days of early Ben. Now, most of this is based on memory so feel free to prove me wrong. Allow me to point out some general reasons:

Who else has noticed?

Ban this man! :sarcasm_off:
    If the Hawks were like pissburg our "penalty flag defense" would have bailed us out last week for the win.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:21 pm
  • A few Steelers fans that I'm friends with have actually brought this up with me. Never been big on comparing a current team to an older team, mostly because Football 3-5 years ago is VERY different than what it is now, but if I had to pick a team in recent memory to compare our current team with, it probably would be the early Ben years in Pittsburgh.
    Emerald12
    NET Practice Squad

Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:54 pm
  • As we edge closer and closer to another Superb Owl appearance, my hatred of the Stealers is slowly melting away.

It has helped immensely that they have had a so-so season and their bandwagon has given their Stealer stuff away to Value Village.
    Riley12
    * NET Recluse *
    * NET Recluse *

Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:24 pm
  • "Our team is like Pittsburgh"

Wash your ******* mouth out!!!
    49ers webzone: Win or lose, i hope you injure Sherman. Like a serious career ending injury. I don't want him to get paid.
    49ers webzone: noise should not be the overwhelming reason a team is favored. they need to spray noise-damping foam onto the ceiling of that place.
    BlueTalon
    * NET Curmudgeon *
    * NET Curmudgeon *

Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:33 pm
  • nsport wrote:I think that's a great comparison. We are not the Saints/Colts/Patriots of the last decade that tried to outscore opponents - we play solid foundational football. With hard work and focus comes the opportunistic turnovers, effort plays, etc.

nsport, everytime I see Jack I think of "a massage from your sister." Well not your sister per se... :)
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:34 pm
  • ivotuk wrote:
    nsport wrote:I think that's a great comparison. We are not the Saints/Colts/Patriots of the last decade that tried to outscore opponents - we play solid foundational football. With hard work and focus comes the opportunistic turnovers, effort plays, etc.

nsport, everytime I see Jack I think of "a massage from your sister." Well not your sister per se... :)

"Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:06 pm
  • I made this comparison myself in a recent thread comparing Wilson to other QBs. I didn't compare Russ to Rottisbooger, but I do see how they walked into very similar situations, with the team having a strong D, solid running game already in place, and good ST.

I don't like to make the comparison, but it is there. As much as we don't like it around here, Pitiesburgh was on a playoff tear for a while and won a couple of SBs. If we do that, I don't much care what anybody says about our team.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:13 pm
    Last edited by MizzouHawkGal on Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:19 pm

2) Efficient on offense. Good red-zone scoring efficiency. QB can escape trouble and turn disasters into bi
    g plays.

Who else has noticed?

Well this sucks given Wilson is better at life than Rothliesburger and even Hines Ward admits Golden Tate is as big a pest as himself....my personal comp is to Fran Tarkenton.
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:28 am
  • I'm kinda late to the party, but I'll go ahead and chime in anyway. Pittsburgh from a few years ago (with Polamalu, Hines Ward, etc.) is a pretty good comparison IMO ... but there's another team that I'm really thinking of that the Seahawks compare to -- (and I can't believe I'm saying this because I absolutely can't stand 'em) -- those Raiders teams of the 1970's. They had an Absolutely NASTY punishing defense (guys like Jack Tatum and George Atkinson) who would look to literally knock you out. Also the old classic Silver and Black attack was to run, run, run the ball -- pound you in to submission ... and then drop back with Kenny Stabler and connect on the long bomb to guys like Cliff Branch. To me, there are a lot of elements of those old Raiders teams in these current Seahawks. Remember, Pete Carroll played as a FS in college in the Bay Area and got his start coaching there as well. Carroll talked about that fact awhile back that his ideas about defensive backs and what a DB is supposed to look like ... came from watching those Raiders teams and guys like Tatum. So to me, there's a lot of those old Raiders (at least in philosophy) in the current Seahawks as well. I don't think that's a coincidence, as there's a part of me that believes Pete has tried to re-create that in some form or another.
    Hawkscanner
    * NET Sage *

It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:31 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information