Russell Wilson drafted by the Texas Rangers today

HolyCatfish

Reaction score
Russell Wilson was just drafted by the Texas Rangers

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2013/12/ ... as-rangers

With the whatever pick in the MLB Rule 5 draft, the Texans Rangers select Russell Wilson, QB, Seattle Seahawks.

Russell Wilson is in the midst of an MVP-worthy season. He's got the Seattle Seahawks sitting on top of the NFC and ready to make a Super Bowl run. But the little guy's accomplishments don't stop there.

The Texas Rangers selected Wilson in Major League Baseball's Rule 5 draft on Thursday morning.

Just when thing's we're looking up for us in the rain city, FML!!!

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Somebody who knows more about baseball...please explain why teams use draft picks on players that have 0% chance of actually playing. Isn't that a waste?

aawolf

Reaction score
fenderbender123":2h861kop said:
Somebody who knows more about baseball...please explain why teams use draft picks on players that have 0% chance of actually playing. Isn't that a waste?

Seriously, in this draft you have to pay the team that holds rights to the AAA player $50,000.00. That means the Texans just paid $50,000.00 to the Rockies for no reason that I can think of....maybe this was part of a bigger trade or something.

Austin Hawk

Reaction score
I live in Round Rock, and it's the Express, not the "Rounders".

Would be kinda cool, though, to see RW hit the field for some spring ball after we win the Super Bowl, but ONLY spring ball. Actually, no it wouldn't, but I would just love the chance to see him here in Round Rock :)

DTexHawk

Reaction score
Hmmmm.....

Baseball, 7-10 year deal for over $100M, all guaranteed, longer career, less chance of injury, or

Football, 7-10 year deal for over $100M, less than 50% guaranteed

:stirthepot:

superdeluxe

Reaction score
fenderbender123":1coyqu1i said:

In truth, the more practical application of the Wilson draft is as a motivational speaker. The club would like to get him to spring training to speak with younger minor league players. Essentially, the Rangers paid $12,000 for a motivational speech.

“Everything you see and read about him, we think he’d have a positive message for all our guys,” Preller said. “The make up and the way he goes about his business, to have him part of the organization is something we really like.”

http://rangersblog.dallasnews.com/2013/ ... raft.html/

Essentially they paid 12k to have Wilson come in and mentor/talk to/show how guys to go about their business.

I think that is a bargin.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
DTexHawk":5nk13668 said:
Hmmmm.....

Baseball, 7-10 year deal for over $100M, all guaranteed, longer career, less chance of injury, or

Football, 7-10 year deal for over $100M, less than 50% guaranteed

:stirthepot:

As you point out, you can have a longer career in baseball. So once Russell has accomplished his goal of winning "at least 4 Super Bowls," I see no reason he can't go mess around in a lesser sport.

drdiags

Reaction score
Looks like he plans to go to spring training

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 10m
Mark Rodgers, agent for Russell Wilson, says QB will want to be more than motivational speaker for #Rangers in spring training.

Rodgers said, “Russell will want to take BP and ground balls. He loves baseball. This is 3d time he has been drafted.” Rule 5 pick for 12.5K

seahawksny

Reaction score
ratso":bfyvoq3s said:
Congratulations for baseball, Russell. You report to the Round Rock Rounders in 90 days.

Just ordered my Round Rock Rounders number 3 jersey.

Would sure wear the #3 Rangers jersey better than some other douche bag that played for the Rangers, and used to play in Seattle

seahawksny

Reaction score
Let him play Baseball until September of course.
It sure beats some other extra curricular activities guys like Browner and Thurmond have been partaking in

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
Well that's one way to get me to buy Spokane Indians season tickets! Send him to single A short season! He can play against Tri-Cities again!

SilkMonkey

Reaction score
If I could see RW play short season single A somewhere nearby I'd shell out. It was fun watching him do the Sherman Softball game.