SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
I think it may be wise for Seattle to target a FS in the draft or FA. Put some pressure on this kid to execute his assignments better.

No more missing blocks on ST, and trying to make up for it by doing something outrageously stupid with the football. Why he would ever think to pick it up and try to throw a side arm knuckle-ball randomly into the air (earlier this season), or swat the ball backwards for a flag is beyond me (Sunday). Outside of these two asinine plays, he's been non-existent. Maybe I shouldn't hold him up to the same standards as guys like Maxwell and Lane, but at the same time maybe I should. Those two have been impressive and make the most out of their opportunities...Maragos, not so much.

I would like to see another Safety in the mix going into next year, find another explosive player with range and/or power ala ET/Kam. Kenny Vaccaro is a good example of a young talent I'd like to see in that second string spot.

I'm not saying Maragos needs to be replaced (he's good), he just needs a little kick in the butt.

hawker84

Reaction score
disagree, nobody puts more into his game than Earl, he had a bad game, no more no less.

Cartire

Reaction score
You do realize that the swat was by far the smartest move. The reason Harbrough didnt except the penalty was it would have been a replay of down. The swat moved the ball back/forward 15 more yards.

He's also been ace on ST. I don't know what games you're watching. This is a classic overreaction post without really researching much.

Cartire

Reaction score
hawker84":2uwfski5 said:
disagree, nobody puts more into his game than Earl, he had a bad game, no more no less.

......42...... Is not ET.

SeahawksMSHing

Reaction score
Yes the Swat was brilliant move, wish it would have hit a 49er and we recover for first down and then they have to take penalty and re-kick :)

SeahawksEast

Reaction score
The playoffs are coming and we need some depth back there. Maragos is not cutting it so bring back Etric Pruitt!! Oh.... wait....

Ozzy

Reaction score
Its Maragos. Was he the reason for the blocked punt? I didn't see the play but wouldn't expect him to be in the middle? Maybe I'm missing something?

CANHawk

Reaction score
While I do NOT agree with the tone of this post AT ALL, I do think that there needs to be constant competition at the backup FS spot. Maragos is fine, but he's definitely in that bottom 1/3 of the roster that should be subject to constant churn. If he's thrown in and constantly keeps rising to the top then great, but we always need to be throwing more potential candidates into that churn to make sure he's the best possible player in the backup FS spot.

But that's a July/August kind of conversation. It's a little late for that now. Maragos is the guy.

Reaction score
Cartire":3b09ph1y said:
You do realize that the swat was by far the smartest move. The reason Harbrough didnt except the penalty was it would have been a replay of down. The swat moved the ball back/forward 15 more yards.

He's also been ace on ST. I don't know what games you're watching. This is a classic overreaction post without really researching much.

Yep, OP obviously didn't get the ramifications of the batted ball penalty on the blocked ball - Harbaugh was pissed because the Niners either had to decline the penalty and take the ball where they controlled it OR accept the penalty and re-kick......I need to go look at the rulebook to see if they enforced this properly. If they did, then what Maragos did was actually BRILLIANT.

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
austinslater25":3sh5d33h said:
Its Maragos. Was he the reason for the blocked punt? I didn't see the play but wouldn't expect him to be in the middle? Maybe I'm missing something?

No, Malcolm Smith missed his assignment on the blocked punt. Hardly even touched the guy as he came through the line.

OP
OP
SouthSoundHawk

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
Cartire":3hjuymqe said:

Not an over reaction at all.

Like I said at the end of my original post, Maragos is good. But I'd still like to see some fresh blood come in and push him, nothing wrong with getting better. Whether Maragos steps up or the newbie does, I don't care, give me the best player available. When I think of Maragos I just see a good player, pretty average in terms of speed/athletic ability/strength, none of which is bad. I'd just like to see more out of him. Guys like Maxwell, Lane, and Smith are constantly getting praised for stepping up, all I'm saying is it wouldn't hurt to have another name to throw around in the same light.

We could even flip it and go for another SS, with the same talent/versatility as previously mentioned. Put some pressure on Jeron. Missing 8 games because of injury sucks, I hope he comes back better than before. Maybe bringing in someone to threaten him (and Chris) for a job will bring out the best in them. Because, like I said, it never hurts to have the best players on the roster.

It's that time of year (for me) where I start to reflect on the big picture in Seattle, looking forward to the end of the regular season, going over playoff scenarios, potential draft prospects, free agents, etc. All for conversation really, this is a stressful time of year to be a football fan (especially after a nail biter).

Cartire

Reaction score
SouthSoundHawk":2u8jn6d8 said:
Cartire":2u8jn6d8 said:

Not an over reaction at all.

Like I said at the end of my original post, Maragos is good. But I'd still like to see some fresh blood come in and push him, nothing wrong with getting better. Whether Maragos steps up or the newbie does, I don't care, give me the best player available. When I think of Maragos I just see a good player, pretty average in terms of speed/athletic ability/strength, none of which is bad. I'd just like to see more out of him. Guys like Maxwell, Lane, and Smith are constantly getting praised for stepping up, all I'm saying is it wouldn't hurt to have another name to throw around in the same light.

We could even flip it and go for another SS, with the same talent/versatility as previously mentioned. Put some pressure on Jeron. Missing 8 games because of injury sucks, I hope he comes back better than before. Maybe bringing in someone to threaten him (and Chris) for a job will bring out the best in them. Because, like I said, it never hurts to have the best players on the roster.

It's that time of year (for me) where I start to reflect on the big picture in Seattle, looking forward to the end of the regular season, going over playoff scenarios, potential draft prospects, free agents, etc. All for conversation really, this is a stressful time of year to be a football fan (especially after a nail biter).

Marathons is the ST captain. He plays a different role then the gunners like lane. He's always in position right in front of the punt returner where he's supposed to be. I don't know why you are calling out a guy that is by and far the least of our concerns on ST. He wasn't the one that whiffed on the guy during the block. He was the smart player that swatted the ball forward.

If you could, could you cite examples of why you feel Maragos needs more competition? If you would like, the All-22 should be release tomorrow afternoon. Feel free to watch all the ST plays and help outline your argument. Because I'm failing to see what Maragos's issues are.

OP
OP
SouthSoundHawk

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":1aban1lz said:
austinslater25":1aban1lz said:

No, Malcolm Smith missed his assignment on the blocked punt. Hardly even touched the guy as he came through the line.

This is true, which makes it even worse. Two guys let Osgood blow right by em.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/san-francisco-49ers/0ap2000000295215/49ers-defense-blocked-punt

OP
OP
SouthSoundHawk

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
Cartire":a5c8jtab said:
Marathons is the ST captain. He plays a different role then the gunners like lane. He's always in position right in front of the punt returner where he's supposed to be. I don't know why you are calling out a guy that is by and far the least of our concerns on ST. He wasn't the one that whiffed on the guy during the block. He was the smart player that swatted the ball forward.

If you could, could you cite examples of why you feel Maragos needs more competition? If you would like, the All-22 should be release tomorrow afternoon. Feel free to watch all the ST plays and help outline your argument. Because I'm failing to see what Maragos's issues are.

I don't have time to go over every game he's played, that would be insane and kind of a waste of time given his role. But like I've said, all I know him for are two unfortunate plays on special teams and being one of the "White Guys" on RRR. However, I still believe a little bit of competition at this position is in order. It's cool if Seattle feels comfortable moving forward with the guys on the roster, I just think they could do better.

Also, Heath Farwell is our ST Captain.

chawx

Reaction score
I blame your signature, OP, for the loss. The pattern it created by being stacked 8 & 8 pretty much made us lose this one...

#WhatsYourSuperstition

253hawk

Reaction score
That whole possession was f'd. Bogus OPI on Tate on the third down conversion put us at 3rd and 15. Then the refs ignore Wilson trying to call a timeout, so it turned into a busted play and a sack. We went from 1st and 10 at midfield to 4th and a punt blocked at our own 17 which cost us 3 points and may have been as much as a 10 point swing.

And what is that now, four ST blocks against us on the season? I can see one, mayyyyyybe two. But four? Inexcusable.

Jville

Reaction score
SouthSoundHawk":12ebrjbb said:
IBleedBlueAndGreen":12ebrjbb said:
austinslater25":12ebrjbb said:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/san-francisco-49ers/0ap2000000295215/49ers-defense-blocked-punt

Are you seeing what you want to see to blame a chosen target?

OP
OP
SouthSoundHawk

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
chawx":fek67zg5 said:
I blame your signature, OP, for the loss. The pattern it created by being stacked 8 & 8 pretty much made us lose this one...

#WhatsYourSuperstition

If it makes you feel better, Seattle won't lose until the preseason if they follow this trend.

Jville":fek67zg5 said:

I'm seeing Malcom Smith miss a block (thanks for pointing that out) and Maragos getting burned because he couldn't get over in time. I don't "watch tape", I use google and youtube to find highlights/stats. I don't know the nuances to blocking on for an NFL punting unit, or blocking at all. All I know is, I saw Osgood got to Ryan with ease, and Maragos/Smith both missed out on the chance to make a block.

No one here is saying Maragos has to go, or he's a liability. I said, all I know him for is being apart of two just absurd plays on ST, he seems like an average second stringer, and that bringing someone in during the off season to compete at FS and/or SS would be beneficial going into next season. The only reason he's getting called out is because he's really the only guy we have for Safety depth with Jeron being banged up (another reason why some added talent here could be nice), and I even resorted to throwing his name into the mix it up basket.

That's it. Nothing more, nothing less.

A lot of Maragos fans in here. I like the guy too, he seems like a goofy laid back character. Still...wouldn't mind seeing another player like ET/Kam back there. Someone that brings a little something extra to the table.

Would anyone here really be bummed out if Maragos was replaced by better talent going into next season? That's a serious question, I'm curious now as to his popularity amongst fans...would be interested to hear some others take on Maragos (and while we're at it Jeron Johnson as well).

chawx

Reaction score
SouthSoundHawk":qd5fbv4t said:
chawx":qd5fbv4t said:

#WhatsYourSuperstition

If it makes you feel better, Seattle won't lose until the preseason if they follow this trend.

It does make me feel better. Thanks. :thirishdrinkers:

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
Jville":1zf6ewzm said:
SouthSoundHawk":1zf6ewzm said:
IBleedBlueAndGreen":1zf6ewzm said:
austinslater25":1zf6ewzm said:

Are you seeing what you want to see to blame a chosen target?

Are you kidding me? Smith is #53. Osgood runs right past him and at the last second Smith reaches out to touch him with his right hand. He completely missed his assignment. Maybe you were joking, but if not.......

Latest posts