Forcing Wilson to roll to his left.

HawkCop

Reaction score
I've notice on the Saints and 49ers forums they're talking about forcing Wilson to roll to his left is the key to beating the Hawks. Where are they getting this information? Any stats that shows this? I know being right handed it's harder throwing across your body for any right handed QB. I haven't seen Wilson really have any issues doing this during games though. The pass that Kearse dropped during the Saints game, Wilson rolled left and put it where it needed to be. I just don't see him rolling to his left being a weakness for him. In fact, I think since his played baseball as a 2nd baseman, it has probably helped him when he has to roll left.

Thoughts?

Kaiser

Reaction score
i dont think he cares. he's made those throws no problem, and i was watching it thinking exactly that, "how the hell did he just do that?"

chris98251

Reaction score
He's right handed so when he sprints out his natural instinct is going right, but when he does his reverse field and heads left he throws fine, just isn't done as much. We do have plays where he has rolled out left also, I f I remember several times he has rolled right and left the left side open for those screen passes to Lynch as well.

He is good at recognition, if a team wants to stack one side he will see it, Bevell if he is as smart as everyone says he is will use that against anyone trying to force our offense to do something.

capncrunch

Reaction score
I'm not up to looking up stats on it right now, but off the top of my head I can think of several completed passes to Baldwin and Rice thrown while rolling out to his left. I don't think there is right handed qb in the league who throws better passes like that than RW. It is very much the 2nd baseman fielding a deep grounder far to his left and making a throw to first base or home. That being said, there are also plays where he rolls left that break down. I'd say the Niner posts on this are entirely wrong imho.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
It's harder to run left and throw right for a right handed QB than it is to run right and throw left. your arm naturally wants to come inside.

I don't think this line of thinking is that wilson has 'trouble' doing it or 'can't' do it, it's simply not any QB's strength because 'science'. It's not something pointed out because it's unique to Wilson.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
First play on this highlight vid.
[youtube]zcgGGzQG35A[/youtube]

NYCoug

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1gaa9p55 said:
First play on this highlight vid.
[youtube]zcgGGzQG35A[/youtube]

That's one of my favorite plays of the season so far, Scotte. Great find!

He also pulled off nearly the same exact throw in the season opener against Carolina. Also to Baldwin, who made another phenomenal catch.

And he made an absolutely perfect throw this past Monday against New Orleans rolling to his left that Jermaine Kearse couldn't quite haul in.

Some of these fans of opposing teams need to do their homework.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Throwing across your body isn't too hard for a guy who's played infield at the professional level

And holy crap at that pass pro in the youtube vid. Quickly forgot how bad it got.

NYCoug

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":3jxjck9l said:
Throwing across your body isn't too hard for a guy who's played infield at the professional level

And holy crap at that pass pro in the youtube vid. Quickly forgot how bad it got.

Seriously! I honestly don't think anyone blocked on that first play. Unreal. Plus, I think it was McQuistan who just gets put on his ass. Not pretty at all. What is pretty though is the footwork from Doug E. Fresh! That's Cris Carter-esque! You can even see the turf pellets fly. Beautiful.

StoneCold

Reaction score
The real problem that Russell poses for other teams is one they have no solution for. It's his brain. This doesn't mean the Hawks can't be beat. It just means you're not going to do it by trying to get Russell in a position where he will beat himself. He learns every game. He gets better every game. Russell is not perfect...yet. Teams do have a small window to exploit that very tiny weakness, but it's closing quickly.

SC

sutz

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":3bevwad5 said:
I think they are just scared.
Frightened people will grasp at anything to feel better.

:)

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Yep just make him go left....that will work oh right...

in4dF4IAoFonQ.gif

jblaze

Reaction score
The guy is great with the fundamentals so it isn't a problem. He squares his shoulders before the throw and has enough arm strength to make any throw rolling left.

They're just trying to find SOME flaw in his game. Good luck. A baseball background will do wonders for this type of thing.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Well nothing else worked so might as well give that a shot. ;)

Seriously he is such a conundrum for opposing Defenses that it must just be infuriating! :snack:

chris98251

Reaction score
Would also like to add our receivers are getting much better at recognising coverage and breakdowns and doing the scramble drill, this really helps Wilson on roll outs as they are either turning it up so he can make that deep touch or arcing pass or throw it to a spot our receivers can get to and make a catch. Baldwin made a statement yesterday about our receivers being the best in the league, not sure I am buying it completly but as a group they have to be real close. We don't have just two guys we have a whole unit thats effective.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
Evil_Shenanigans":1z6bx0yr said:
Well nothing else worked so might as well give that a shot. ;)

Seriously he is such a conundrum for opposing Defenses that it must just be infuriating! :snack:

Excellent use of conundrum, always loved that word. Like others have been stating, this is just grasping at straws by the Whiners. Nothing to see here, please move along.

Latest posts