PC philosophy and why the Hawks are tough to beat

EntiatHawk

Reaction score
The Hawks are not perfect and they have their flaws. But in this day of the NFL all the teams have their flaws. I just think this team has done well to minimize them.

So Pete has built a team that can win in a multitude of ways. We can win by running the ball, passing the ball. On defense we can create turnovers and well play the pass about as well as anyone.
Then you add special teams where we are as good as anyone in the league.

This make teams have to hold all three phases of the game in check. Which can be a tall order.

So with that said can we be beat, yep, on any given Sunday. But the team is built to have the odds tilted their way.

So now lets go get one in San Fran this weekend and send another call card to the rest of the league.

GO Hawks!!!!

:thirishdrinkers:

seahawks08

Reaction score
I think the OP is excited and wanted to say something. Not sure what it means though. I would like the flaws to be listed so we can have a meaningful discussion.

Largent80

Reaction score
The different ways we have played this year is amazing but it is all about evolving. We can jump out to a lead or come from behind. Nice problem to have.

JonRud

Reaction score
I haven't seen many flaws recently. maybe Mebane's jersey is a little too small but that's about it.

CHawk

Reaction score
Its every coaches job to put together a complete team on all phases. The OP suggesting we are the most complete team this year. Even with injuries and suspensions, next man up seems to be working.

pmedic920

Reaction score
He is being like me... A cheerleader. And that's just fine. There is room for everybody around here.

Sis... Boom ... Bah. Goooooooo SEAHAWKS.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
dopeboy206":1xl0fbmq said:
Doesn't really explain anything.
Why does everyone have to be critical?? My gawd man, give it a rest.

Always Fierce

Reaction score
How do they finish the kill week in and week out and not let leads wilter away?

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
It explains a lot.

The OP's premise was that Pete & Co. have built a team that can win multiple ways, and to beat them, you must beat us in multiple ways. There is no pattern or formula to winning against us.

You want to hammer it out in a low-scoring slug-fest where you rely on your defense to pull it out for you in the end? Hasn't worked. See: Panthers, Rams, etc. We will outlast you.

You want to out-duel us in a high-scoring affair? Hasn't worked. We have seven games this year alone where we've scored more than 24 points, a score that pushes the odds way in favor of a team winning, no matter their defense. Five of those games we've scored more than 30 points, and two of them over 40. We will keep pace the whole way.

You want to come out swinging and hope we can't make up a big deficit after halftime? Hasn't worked. See: Houston, Tampa Bay, etc. We do not give up, even when you have the start of what should be a blow-out.

You want to beat us at your house, on the road in a hostile stadium, at ten o'clock in the morning? That worked. Once. And it took a talented, division-leading team with a high-powered offense capable of a shootout, explosive special teams scores, and questionable calls from the refs to pull it off. It took a first round star quarterback and Hall of Fame receivers, a blocked field goal returned for a touchdown, and a touchdown called a safety to pull it off. It took the perfect storm, and we were still in a position to win it in the end.

So yea, there is a formula to beat the Seahawks. So far this year, that formula has been to make us fly across the country, play at ten o'clock in the morning against a top-tier team, hope like hell you get all the bounces and calls, and squeak out the win. Not really a formula I'd want to bank on.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Pete has also said these sort of things. He never wants to be entirely reliant on a single phase of the game. On some teams, if your QB or RB has a bad day, your team loses. Period. Denver and New Orleans are these types of teams right now. Seattle can win games by offense or defense or special teams. If all three are working, lights out.

It's one thing to say you focus on all three phases and it's another to actually do it. Pete will make a roster decision that makes the entire fan base scratch its head if it means his Special Teams gets a boost. He will let his best skill players return punts and kickoffs, even when the Claytons and Holmgrens of the world say it's foolish.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
@ Seahawk Sailor.... you and the OP make a good tag team. :D

Round 2, anybody?

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":irr6g08p said:
It explains a lot.

The OP's premise was that Pete & Co. have built a team that can win multiple ways, and to beat them, you must beat us in multiple ways. There is no pattern or formula to winning against us.

You want to hammer it out in a low-scoring slug-fest where you rely on your defense to pull it out for you in the end? Hasn't worked. See: Panthers, Rams, etc. We will outlast you.

You want to out-duel us in a high-scoring affair? Hasn't worked. We have seven games this year alone where we've scored more than 24 points, a score that pushes the odds way in favor of a team winning, no matter their defense. Five of those games we've scored more than 30 points, and two of them over 40. We will keep pace the whole way.

You want to come out swinging and hope we can't make up a big deficit after halftime? Hasn't worked. See: Houston, Tampa Bay, etc. We do not give up, even when you have the start of what should be a blow-out.

You want to beat us at your house, on the road in a hostile stadium, at ten o'clock in the morning? That worked. Once. And it took a talented, division-leading team with a high-powered offense capable of a shootout, explosive special teams scores, and questionable calls from the refs to pull it off. It took a first round star quarterback and Hall of Fame receivers, a blocked field goal returned for a touchdown, and a touchdown called a safety to pull it off. It took the perfect storm, and we were still in a position to win it in the end.

So yea, there is a formula to beat the Seahawks. So far this year, that formula has been to make us fly across the country, play at ten o'clock in the morning against a top-tier team, hope like hell you get all the bounces and calls, and squeak out the win. Not really a formula I'd want to bank on.
great post.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
The thing that makes this team tough to beat: Russell Wilson.

The guy just does what it takes to win--any place, any time, with or without an o-line, home or on the road, down by three tds, refs on crack. That's why when they REALLY need to score, they put the ball in Wilson's hands, and he ALWAYS delivers. We only got stopped in Atlanta last year because the D blew it after Wilson gave them the ball with 30 secs left, up by two.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
I would be curious to know how PC's record the last 3 years compares with any other coach the past 3 years in the NFL.
I know some coaches in the league get a free pass (Belichick, Harbaugh brothers, Mike Smith, ...) But I'm sure PC has had the best team (record wise) than many of these guys. And that doesn't even include pre-season games, where PC has simply been amazing.
All this, despite the fact that we have played in the toughest division and played some of the toughest schedules.
What these guys are doing in Seattle is simply amazing.

A

Anonymous

I believe it is confidence. This team oozes confidence all over the place. You see it when they play, and in all phases of getting ready to play. You see it when they speak to the media. They are confident in one another playing as a team and in their own abilities and limitations. Players and coaches of the other teams see the way our guys are, and it scares and intimidates them.

Thing is, it's the right kind of confidence; not overconfidence.