Depth

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Lots of threads happening about the suspensions and such. I would like to discuss the depth of this team and how all of this will turn out to show one of the strengths of the team. Back during training camp, CB Will Blackmon was released and subsequently signed by Jacksonville. Was it a testimony to the depth of the Seahawks or a testimony to the lack of talent on the Jags that he is a starter on their defense? I am leaning more towards the former.

I went to a training camp practice before he was released and spent afair amount of time watching the DB's. I came away with the assumption that there were numerous starting caliber DB's on this team. There were way more starting caliber guys than there were available positions.

So if Blackmon was the guy they felt was the most expendible, what does that say about the guys they chose to keep? It says that the guys they chose to keep over Blackmon are better than Blackmon. This coaching staff, who likes to comPETE, obviously sticks with the more talented players. The guy who was tossed aside, is a starting DB in the NFL.

One guy I was particularly impressed with was Byron Maxwell. Is the LOB weaker with the subtraction of Browner and Thurmond? Probably. Is the LOB now a detriment to any success the team may have? Not in my opinion. Next man up!

mikeak

Reaction score
This is why the Browner suspension annoys me (and I think many others). If he was the last guy to make the team then fine he didn't really take a spot. But he did he made the team cut someone like Blackmon. While not as good as Browner he would be better to have during the rest of the season than nobody.....

kidhawk

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":2242xxwy said:
Lots of threads happening about the suspensions and such. I would like to discuss the depth of this team and how all of this will turn out to show one of the strengths of the team. Back during training camp, CB Will Blackmon was released and subsequently signed by Jacksonville. Was it a testimony to the depth of the Seahawks or a testimony to the lack of talent on the Jags that he is a starter on their defense? I am leaning more towards the former.

I went to a training camp practice before he was released and spent afair amount of time watching the DB's. I came away with the assumption that there were numerous starting caliber DB's on this team. There were way more starting caliber guys than there were available positions.

So if Blackmon was the guy they felt was the most expendible, what does that say about the guys they chose to keep? It says that the guys they chose to keep over Blackmon are better than Blackmon. This coaching staff, who likes to comPETE, obviously sticks with the more talented players. The guy who was tossed aside, is a starting DB in the NFL.

One guy I was particularly impressed with was Byron Maxwell. Is the LOB weaker with the subtraction of Browner and Thurmond? Probably. Is the LOB now a detriment to any success the team may have? Not in my opinion. Next man up!

I believe that Maxwell and Lane are quality depth and that makes this easier to deal with as far as winning football games, but what it does is it weakens our depth. Football is still a violent sport and injuries can happen at any moment. We have now burned through all of our depth in our deepest group of guys. This becomes more of an issue if we have any other corners who may get injured. We really need to hope this is as far as we have to go into our depth here, because we've used up the quality we had