Saints fan here :) We have a looong wait so...thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lengai

Reaction score
Howdy everyone. We have a long wait for the MNF game. I've read some threads and you guys seem to have the same energy we had in '09. Obviously I hope we win, but I wanted to see what you guys think about our team (please stick to realistsic questions/comments)? I haven't seen Seattle play much. I know the D is stout, O-Line is healthy, Percy is back, Lynch is still Lynch, and Wilson is doing pretty much what he did last year so it's a very tough matchup.

If you watched the game last night we focused on minimizing mistakes and grinding out the W. Smart, but not how we usually play. Corey White is our backup corner since Greer lost his knee and looks to be the guy the offensive game plan will be focusing on isolating becuase he played like a rookie. The teams are both doing well so my guess is that it wil come down to controlling the line of scrimmage, defensive pressure, and someone making a goofy mistake.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
The Seahawks finally stopped making major stupid mistakes every game, and we have our starting tackles back now.

Honestly, and I am not trolling here at all nor am I being delusional, but I think we run away with it. The jump our young, fast defense gets at home every snap just plays hell with opposing offenses. Tampa Bay surprised the hell out of us and we made some seriously dumb mistakes on defense, but those seem to have been fixed, so any Saints fans hanging their hats on that as reason to hope for a win shouldn't expect too much.

That being said, Brees is still Brees. Even if he didn't look like it in Atlanta last night.

kidhawk

Reaction score
One part of the equation that people often forget about Seattle, because it's not overly discussed in the media is our Special Teams. Hauschka is MONEY on field goals and Ryan is great at getting solid hangtime and distance on his punts. Our punt return team is giving up around 1.5 yards/return on punts this year, #1 in the league I believe. Golden Tate has been doing an excellent job as punt returner, and now with Harvin back, we have a dynamic kick returner as well. I wouldn't be surprised if Special Teams isn't the deciding factor in our matchup.

Welcome to .NET and congrats on your Saints season thus far.

OP
OP
L

lengai

Reaction score
He came back in after he hurt it last week so I think he could have played last night, but they decided to rest him so he's as healthy as possible for you guys. He will be a full go. Hopefully we keep Cadet returning punts and kicks. He's explosive. EDIT..oops, was talking about Sproles.

OP
OP
L

lengai

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2dzlb6k7 said:
The Seahawks finally stopped making major stupid mistakes every game, and we have our starting tackles back now.

Honestly, and I am not trolling here at all nor am I being delusional, but I think we run away with it. The jump our young, fast defense gets at home every snap just plays hell with opposing offenses. Tampa Bay surprised the hell out of us and we made some seriously dumb mistakes on defense, but those seem to have been fixed, so any Saints fans hanging their hats on that as reason to hope for a win shouldn't expect too much.

That being said, Brees is still Brees. Even if he didn't look like it in Atlanta last night.

Drew threw 5 picks there last year and took us out of playoff contention so you could see he was determined not to give the ball away. I think that's why he looked a bit "off."

Hawks46

Reaction score
Welcome!

I will start with the Hawks. We're tough to play up here, similar to how you guys are playing in your dome now. The biggest difference from this year to last is that we get pressure on the QB. Crowd noise helps that, which is why your defense is much better getting to the QB this year. Well, that and Jordan's development and a new scheme, but crowd noise helps both.

If we get pressure up the middle on Brees and force him to roll out, we'll be doing well. Brees is still good throwing it on the run, but most QBs aren't as good as in the pocket and Drew is no exception. It also cuts the field down; if you throw it across the field on our defense, it's going to get picked. We also need to be able to stop the run, as you guys have at times this year, looked dominant there. We've had some problems with run fits in a few games (TB, STL) and it caused us some issues. Our secondary matches up will with your WRs.

The other key to the game is shutting down Graham. Most of our fans say put Kam Chancellor on Jimmy, but I see that as a mismatch. We'll probably bracket him with a LB and a S over the top. Which means we're going to have to stop the run game with 7 and sometimes 6 guys in the box. The neat thing about your offense is you don't use Graham much as a TE; you're constantly spreading him out. So Bellichick's idea of putting a physical CB on him will work. Too bad we don't have Browner this game; I think he's tailor made to cover a guy like Graham: in-line fast but not great chance of direction speed, which B. Browner can keep up with.

For you guys, you need to stack the box, check to blitzes with all them guys in the box on passing downs, and hope you overwhelm our OL. You have to stop the run against the Seahawks. Two problems which I'm not sure how to answer for you: we got both of our starting Tackles back so our pass pro will be better and blitz pickup will be more solid, and Percy Harvin is back, which gives us instant separation in the short passing game...in other words a blitz beater.

The other issue I see for NO is that your secondary has some holes. Our starting 3 WR's are a mismatch against your 2nd starting CB, and I'm guessing that your #1 CB is even with 1 or 2 of them. An even matchup for a CB means you'll give up about 4-6 receptions a game.

The best way to compare the two is a common opponent, played in the same venue with mostly the same personnel. I watched the ATL game. Surprisingly, they had success running the ball on you guys with an aging Steven Jackson and a terrible OL. This should distress Saints fans, as we're a much more physical and polished run team, and Lynch plays on another planet than Jackson does. Also, they had a rookie WR ring up 9 receptions on your #2 CB. That's not good news as either Tate, Baldwin or Harvin is going to eviscerate that poor guy. Bringing safety help over the top on his side will open up the TE on the opposite side, and you guys didn't play well against Gonzalez (to be fair, most teams don't. and Miller isn't as good in routes as Gonzalez). You don't have an answer for Harvin, and your ST are average, meaning that we'll probably win the field position battle at home.

We played much better against Atlanta. The caveat is that the Falcons hate you guys more than us and were up more for that game. They also have more familiarity. It should be a good game, and if both teams execute well, I still see us winning the game as we have more talent on both sides of the field.

Hawker

Reaction score
A nice NFC championship preview under the lights is what we'll see.

I have to admit, that outside of the Saints offense, I know quite little about the team overall (defense? special teams highlights?).

I think what makes Seattle such a great team is the balance. A capable offense with a smash-mouth defense and fantastic special teams (See: Hauschka / Ryan). Are the Saints an equally balanced team?

CANHawk

Reaction score
kidhawk":2rv2ufa5 said:
One part of the equation that people often forget about Seattle, because it's not overly discussed in the media is our Special Teams. Hauschka is MONEY on field goals and Ryan is great at getting solid hangtime and distance on his punts. Our punt return team is giving up around 1.5 yards/return on punts this year, #1 in the league I believe. Golden Tate has been doing an excellent job as punt returner, and now with Harvin back, we have a dynamic kick returner as well. I wouldn't be surprised if Special Teams isn't the deciding factor in our matchup.

And Jeremy Lane! I don't know what the numbers are, but that kid has downed several punts inside the 5 this year. He's an awesome gunner in punt coverage.

Brahn

Reaction score
lengai":1i5uvq2n said:
Howdy everyone. We have a long wait for the MNF game. I've read some threads and you guys seem to have the same energy we had in '09. Obviously I hope we win, but I wanted to see what you guys think about our team (please stick to realistsic questions/comments)? I haven't seen Seattle play much. I know the D is stout, O-Line is healthy, Percy is back, Lynch is still Lynch, and Wilson is doing pretty much what he did last year so it's a very tough matchup.

If you watched the game last night we focused on minimizing mistakes and grinding out the W. Smart, but not how we usually play. Corey White is our backup corner since Greer lost his knee and looks to be the guy the offensive game plan will be focusing on isolating becuase he played like a rookie. The teams are both doing well so my guess is that it wil come down to controlling the line of scrimmage, defensive pressure, and someone making a goofy mistake.

Saints need to be ready for some next level noise.

kidhawk

Reaction score
CANHawk":3bk1ikf2 said:
kidhawk":3bk1ikf2 said:

And Jeremy Lane! I don't know what the numbers are, but that kid has downed several punts inside the 5 this year. He's an awesome gunner in punt coverage.

Yes he is definitely worthy of mention by name. He is the other half of the equation to why we are able to keep our punt return yards at a minimum. Him and Ryan are a great combination.

A

Anonymous

Glad to have ya.

46 said everything I was thinking, and much more. There really isn't any matchup's that present any true concern for our staff, or for our players. Percy is going to create so many problems it's not even fair.

I think, in all seriousness, if you were to leave Monday night with no more key injuries to your skill guys, you're going to be doing good.

OP
OP
L

lengai

Reaction score
Hawker":1lykpcjz said:
A nice NFC championship preview under the lights is what we'll see.

I have to admit, that outside of the Saints offense, I know quite little about the team overall (defense? special teams highlights?).

I think what makes Seattle such a great team is the balance. A capable offense with a smash-mouth defense and fantastic special teams (See: Hauschka / Ryan). Are the Saints an equally balanced team?

We're balanced. We use a lot of 2-3 yard passes as run plays and we are able to run with Thomas and Ingram enough to keep the D honest. Graham is an absolute nightmare to cover. Talib did well in the NE game but got hurt doing it too. Jimmy has a torn ligament in his foot so he's at about 75-80% which is still difficult, but it has slowed him some. He is a monster...no doubt about that. Benjamin Watson also does very well as the second TE. Colston has also been bringing it the past 2 weeks. And Kenny Stills and Meachem can break off a 60 yard reception at any moment. I've watched Sean talk about Drew's sacks this year and he said that teh offense is designed fro him to take 1-2 each game going for the juggular.

Our kicker makes clutch kicks, but is no where near Hauschka. Our punter is the second coming of Ray Guy. Travaris Cadet can return kicks very well and Sproles is consistent at getting it and adding a few yards. I'm not a stat person so I haven't done any comaprisons.

Wilson running will also be something we have to try and contain. We usually stink at that and Kaeprnick didn't try to.

CANHawk

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":224r6rxu said:
Glad to have ya.

46 said everything I was thinking, and much more. There really isn't any matchup's that present any true concern for our staff, or for our players. Percy is going to create so many problems it's not even fair.

I think, in all seriousness, if you were to leave Monday night with no more key injuries to your skill guys, you're going to be doing good.

Yeah... I reeeeeealy hate to sound this arrogant, but in our house, at night in December against a finesse dome team from the South; I have a hard time seeing us do anything but beat the ever living shit out of them. I think merely surviving is a good moral victory for the Saints in this one. Our guys LIVE for primetime and look forward to every opportunity to show the world what they're capable of. This is probably the biggest matchup of the year so far, so our guys know that all eyes will be on them. I can't predict anything short of a critical beatdown.

Sorry brah...

quail man

Reaction score
This is probably the biggest matchup of the year so far, so our guys know that all eyes will be on them. I can't predict anything short of a critical beatdown.

Yeah, but the Saints won't be hyped up for this game either :roll:

mikeak

Reaction score
Jimmy Graham and Sproles are my main concerns with the Saints. You guys went what 5 for 5 on 3rd downs in the first drive of the game yesterday...... I expect you to go something like 12/17 on third downs against us.

With that said I expect us to win. I expect Lynch to run all over the place and for RW to find hole after hole in your secondary and I expect a couple of turnovers

quail man

Reaction score
Yeah, the Saints D will be forcing a few turnovers, that's for sure. Glad we can agree on that.

CANHawk

Reaction score
quail man":50lfrvr2 said:
This is probably the biggest matchup of the year so far, so our guys know that all eyes will be on them. I can't predict anything short of a critical beatdown.

Yeah, but the Saints won't be hyped up for this game either :roll:

Not like our guys. Earl Thomas goes kookoo banannas for games like this. He's going to look like a Tasmanian devil out there. He works himself up into a fervor. I think he actually foams at the mouth...

That's the thing about our guys you don't understand... there's "getting hyped up" for a big game, then there's whatever the hell the Seahawks do. These guys all feel completely disrespected by everyone and use that to fuel their fire. The mainstream has been sniffing the Saints jocks hard for years, so they don't have anything to prove. The Hawks though... They very well might try to mount Drew Brees' head on a pike outside the stadium as a sign of their superiority.

That's why they seem to "play down" to teams like Tampa or STL. There's nothing to prove there. They're supposed to beat Tampa and STL. There's no fun in that. But to beat the SAINTS on Monday Night Football with the whole WORLD watching... Our guys live for that shit.

And please don't take this as me just talking smack. I honestly like the Saints, think they have great fans and respect their organization. Drew Brees is a great quarterback and Sean Payton a great coach, but this is what I think is going to happen. It's going to be a bloodbath.

OP
OP
L

lengai

Reaction score
CANHawk":faylxa6m said:
HoustonHawk82":faylxa6m said:
Glad to have ya.

Yeah... I reeeeeealy hate to sound this arrogant, but in our house, at night in December against a finesse dome team from the South; I have a hard time seeing us do anything but beat the ever living shit out of them. I think merely surviving is a good moral victory for the Saints in this one. Our guys LIVE for primetime and look forward to every opportunity to show the world what they're capable of. This is probably the biggest matchup of the year so far, so our guys know that all eyes will be on them. I can't predict anything short of a critical beatdown.

Sorry brah...

I don't take it that way. I'm on you guys' baord and you've all had good insight and I expect you to believe you will win. I know we're a dome team, but thinking we're a finesse team is not something I agree with. Our O is designed that way (although we did power run all over Dallas), but the D is definitely not a finesse defense. They bring it as much as anyone right now. Corey White at CB is our weak link. We're going to have to jam Harvin or we're in deep doo doo. The good news is that both teams will be in the playoffs no matter what happens but HFA is huge for teams with loud fans like Seattle and N.O.

The Radish

Reaction score
Why does everyone keep saying "you got Harvin back?"

What we did was get Harvin period, he never played a snap for us this season until now.

:les:

Status
Not open for further replies.