Raible "Walt best in years" P. Kendall "Walt best I evr saw"

ivotuk

Reaction score
I'll admit it, I got weepy when Big Walt retired, not sure why. Maybe because it was the passing of an era, because I didn't want him to retire, or because I really liked him and especially liked his character and personality, what he stood for.

I really hope he's the flag raiser against what I believe is the most important game remaining on the schedule. IF we beat New Orleans, I think HFA is almost guaranteed. Anyway, Walter Jones is the best! Well except when it comes to naming his kids :p

http://mynorthwest.com/category/pod_player_sports/?a=9964258&p=1014&n=Bob and Groz Show

http://mynorthwest.com/category/pod_player_sports/?a=9964254&p=1014&n=Bob and Groz Show

CANHawk

Reaction score
...sorry man, I was trying to figure out who the hell this "Raible Walter" guy was. ;P

Hasn't Walt raised the flag quite recently? I always thought they gave them a few years between 'raisings'. Holmgren is TOTALLY due, but i get the feeling they're saving him for the playoffs...

A

Anonymous

Kendall was very good. Extremely good for his size within that era.

But, Walt dominated during his era.

McGruff

Reaction score
I think what got me about Walt is that his body forced him to retire before he, or we were ready.

c_hawkbob

Reaction score
Walt was the best of his era without question. Not an easy task with the likes of Johnathan Ogden and Orlando Pace as your contemporaries ...

As for all time? He's in the same conversation as Anthony Munoz and John Hannah for #1 on my list.

Blitzfan

Reaction score
If you haven't seen this, enjoy. If you have, enjoy it again.

Ladies and Gentlemen...Big Walt.

[youtube]ioB8aGWyd0Y[/youtube]

RiverDog

Reaction score
Walt had some outrageously low number of holding penalties called on him, something like 8 or 9 in his entire career. He is the only player I've heard of that could miss the entire training came then come in a few days before the opening game and play at a Pro Bowl level.

Offensive tackles don't get a lot of attention by the media so I didn't come to know Walt like I did players such as Largent and as we are coming to know Russell Wilson, but every time I did hear Walt speak, I liked what I heard.

I don't know if I want to go so far as to anoint him as best ever as I hate comparing players from different eras, but as CBob said, he has to be included in that elite group of a half dozen or so that should get due consideration.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Yes this was written as if the poster:

RiverDog":52umlalt said:
"..didn't come to know Walt like I did players such as Largent and as we are coming to know Russell Wilson,

but every time I did hear Walt speak, I liked what I heard."

It had nothing to do with what he said. It's what he did on the field, and that was completely shut the guy across from him down. Utter domination

I don't know if I want to go so far as to anoint him as best ever as I hate comparing players from different eras, but as CBob said, he has to be included in that elite group of a half dozen or so that should get due consideration.

I refer back to the first part of your post, and give you a pass, because your knowledge of Walt is far from up-to-speed. Walt being 'elite' is a given; there is no 'consideration' necessary. The only matter worthy of consideration is whether he is in fact the greatest ever.

If you knew more about his play, you would have no doubt that 'elite.' happened in his first or second season. When we talk about all of the great tackles of their era, there is a common thread; they all had almost picture-perfect form and super-sound technique. Walt was no exception, but he took things a step further with off-the-charts natural ability. That ability allowed him to recover and win even when forced or caught out of position....in what appeared to be totally unwinnable situations. He could get contorted into some 'oh-my-gawd' postures but his magic legs would keep flying around underneath him keeping him upright and engaged.

I have no doubt that he is among the top TWO tackles to ever play the game...and he better get in the Hall on first ballot or the selection process is seriously flawed.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
A couple of reminders of the man's dominance......IIRC he gave up two, that's TWO sacks the entire '05 season, both to Osi in the Giants game at the Clink that Feely missed the game winning FG and Hawks won in OT. He also made a Pro Bowl DE, Patrick Kearney literally QUIT in the middle of the third quarter of the Hawks game vs. Atlanta that same season. Kearney was not hurt but simply gave up and refused to continue playing because he could literally do nothing against Walt (source: Tony Siragusa reporting from sideline during said game).
And yes, that's the same Kearney genius Ruskell signed to the Hawks a year or so later. :pukeface:

RiverDog

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":25zuhpeb said:
Yes this was written as if the poster:

RiverDog":25zuhpeb said:
"..didn't come to know Walt like I did players such as Largent and as we are coming to know Russell Wilson,

but every time I did hear Walt speak, I liked what I heard."

It had nothing to do with what he said. It's what he did on the field, and that was completely shut the guy across from him down. Utter domination

I refer back to the first part of your post, and give you a pass, because your knowledge of Walt is far from up-to-speed. Walt being 'elite' is a given; there is no 'consideration' necessary. The only matter worthy of consideration is whether he is in fact the greatest ever.

[b]If you knew more about his play, you would have no doubt that 'elite.' happened in his first or second season[/b]. When we talk about all of the great tackles of their era, there is a common thread; they all had almost picture-perfect form and super-sound technique. Walt was no exception, but he took things a step further with off-the-charts natural ability. That ability allowed him to recover and win even when forced or caught out of position....in what appeared to be totally unwinnable situations. He could get contorted into some 'oh-my-gawd' postures but his magic legs would keep flying around underneath him keeping him upright and engaged.

I have no doubt that he is among the top TWO tackles to ever play the game...and he better get in the Hall on first ballot or the selection process is seriously flawed.

What's your deal guy? Didn't I read somewhere to attack the post and not the poster? How do you know what I know and don't know about Walt? And where was it that I said he wasn't an elite tackle? Quite the contrary, I said the exact opposite. I felt that I was giving Walt the highest praise possible for any player at his position.

Geez, get a grip!

C-Dub

Reaction score
RiverDog":3gkufqtz said:
Walt had some outrageously low number of holding penalties called on him, something like 8 or 9 in his entire career. He is the only player I've heard of that could miss the entire training came then come in a few days before the opening game and play at a Pro Bowl level.

Offensive tackles don't get a lot of attention by the media so I didn't come to know Walt like I did players such as Largent and as we are coming to know Russell Wilson, but every time I did hear Walt speak, I liked what I heard.

Completely agree RD.

You never heard his name called during the games since he was always shutting out the defenders. He was the best of his era and one of the best all time.

13 NFL season with all 180 games started (2nd to Largent)
9 holding penalties (1 in 633 passes)
23 sacks allowed (1 in 248)
9 Pro Bowls, 6 AP All Pro, All Decade Team, and rated #1 player at any position in 2005

http://espn.go.com/blog/seattle-seahawk ... l-spot-now

Latest posts