Raible "Walt best in years" P. Kendall "Walt best I evr saw"

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13

  • ...sorry man, I was trying to figure out who the hell this "Raible Walter" guy was. ;P

    Hasn't Walt raised the flag quite recently? I always thought they gave them a few years between 'raisings'. Holmgren is TOTALLY due, but i get the feeling they're saving him for the playoffs...
    WAR BEAVER!!
    User avatar
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *
     
    Posts: 11571
    Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:29 pm
    Location: PoCompton, BC Canada


  • Kendall was very good. Extremely good for his size within that era.

    But, Walt dominated during his era.
    Image
    "...Seattle has become the capital city of the New NFL" - Kip Earlywine
    :les: Remembering "The Radish"...
    User avatar
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Mechanic *
     
    Posts: 7137
    Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:51 am
    Location: Beneath, Between & Behind


  • Kendall was talking about Big Walt.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to completely take the final step. That was done and the final step was taken. The OLine still needs work.

    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1959
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:13 pm


  • I think what got me about Walt is that his body forced him to retire before he, or we were ready.
    <A>
    <IMG></A>
    User avatar
    McGruff
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 1624
    Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:14 am
    Location: Elma, WA


  • Walter Jones, Pete Kendall, Kevin Mawae, Hutchinson.........awesome.
    Image
    Cassius Marsh is my 2014 Adopt a Pro Bowl Rookie
    User avatar
    Atradees
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2583
    Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:22 pm
    Location: South of Heaven


  • Walt was the best of his era without question. Not an easy task with the likes of Johnathan Ogden and Orlando Pace as your contemporaries ...

    As for all time? He's in the same conversation as Anthony Munoz and John Hannah for #1 on my list.
    Life is hard; It's harder when you're stupid. -- John Wayne
    User avatar
    c_hawkbob
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 69
    Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:01 pm
    Location: Kevil Kentucky


  • If you haven't seen this, enjoy. If you have, enjoy it again.

    Ladies and Gentlemen...Big Walt.

    Image
    Downright thuggish.
    User avatar
    Blitzfan
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 405
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:05 am
    Location: Tacoma, Wa


  • Walt had some outrageously low number of holding penalties called on him, something like 8 or 9 in his entire career. He is the only player I've heard of that could miss the entire training came then come in a few days before the opening game and play at a Pro Bowl level.

    Offensive tackles don't get a lot of attention by the media so I didn't come to know Walt like I did players such as Largent and as we are coming to know Russell Wilson, but every time I did hear Walt speak, I liked what I heard.

    I don't know if I want to go so far as to anoint him as best ever as I hate comparing players from different eras, but as CBob said, he has to be included in that elite group of a half dozen or so that should get due consideration.
    User avatar
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 806
    Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:58 am
    Location: Kennewick, WA


  • He trained in the offseason. If shoving Escalades around counts.
    Image
    User avatar
    muxpux
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2787
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:26 pm
    Location: Longview, WA


  • Yes this was written as if the poster:

    RiverDog wrote:"..didn't come to know Walt like I did players such as Largent and as we are coming to know Russell Wilson,



    RiverDog wrote:but every time I did hear Walt speak, I liked what I heard."


    It had nothing to do with what he said. It's what he did on the field, and that was completely shut the guy across from him down. Utter domination

    RiverDog wrote:I don't know if I want to go so far as to anoint him as best ever as I hate comparing players from different eras, but as CBob said, he has to be included in that elite group of a half dozen or so that should get due consideration.


    I refer back to the first part of your post, and give you a pass, because your knowledge of Walt is far from up-to-speed. Walt being 'elite' is a given; there is no 'consideration' necessary. The only matter worthy of consideration is whether he is in fact the greatest ever.

    If you knew more about his play, you would have no doubt that 'elite.' happened in his first or second season. When we talk about all of the great tackles of their era, there is a common thread; they all had almost picture-perfect form and super-sound technique. Walt was no exception, but he took things a step further with off-the-charts natural ability. That ability allowed him to recover and win even when forced or caught out of position....in what appeared to be totally unwinnable situations. He could get contorted into some 'oh-my-gawd' postures but his magic legs would keep flying around underneath him keeping him upright and engaged.

    I have no doubt that he is among the top TWO tackles to ever play the game...and he better get in the Hall on first ballot or the selection process is seriously flawed.
    "I cannot believe this............ I am stunned right now. This is now a rebuilding year for us. Our offense is crap now"

    Blitzer88 regarding trading Percy to the Jets
    User avatar
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2793
    Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:01 pm


  • A couple of reminders of the man's dominance......IIRC he gave up two, that's TWO sacks the entire '05 season, both to Osi in the Giants game at the Clink that Feely missed the game winning FG and Hawks won in OT. He also made a Pro Bowl DE, Patrick Kearney literally QUIT in the middle of the third quarter of the Hawks game vs. Atlanta that same season. Kearney was not hurt but simply gave up and refused to continue playing because he could literally do nothing against Walt (source: Tony Siragusa reporting from sideline during said game).
    .
    .
    .
    .
    And yes, that's the same Kearney genius Ruskell signed to the Hawks a year or so later. :pukeface:
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

    ImageImage

    Proud member of the 38 club
    User avatar
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12850
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:38 am
    Location: Vancouver, WA


  • HawKnPeppa wrote:Yes this was written as if the poster:

    RiverDog wrote:"..didn't come to know Walt like I did players such as Largent and as we are coming to know Russell Wilson,



    RiverDog wrote:but every time I did hear Walt speak, I liked what I heard."


    It had nothing to do with what he said. It's what he did on the field, and that was completely shut the guy across from him down. Utter domination

    RiverDog wrote:I don't know if I want to go so far as to anoint him as best ever as I hate comparing players from different eras, but as CBob said, he has to be included in that elite group of a half dozen or so that should get due consideration.


    I refer back to the first part of your post, and give you a pass, because your knowledge of Walt is far from up-to-speed. Walt being 'elite' is a given; there is no 'consideration' necessary. The only matter worthy of consideration is whether he is in fact the greatest ever.

    [b]If you knew more about his play, you would have no doubt that 'elite.' happened in his first or second season[/b]. When we talk about all of the great tackles of their era, there is a common thread; they all had almost picture-perfect form and super-sound technique. Walt was no exception, but he took things a step further with off-the-charts natural ability. That ability allowed him to recover and win even when forced or caught out of position....in what appeared to be totally unwinnable situations. He could get contorted into some 'oh-my-gawd' postures but his magic legs would keep flying around underneath him keeping him upright and engaged.

    I have no doubt that he is among the top TWO tackles to ever play the game...and he better get in the Hall on first ballot or the selection process is seriously flawed.


    What's your deal guy? Didn't I read somewhere to attack the post and not the poster? How do you know what I know and don't know about Walt? And where was it that I said he wasn't an elite tackle? Quite the contrary, I said the exact opposite. I felt that I was giving Walt the highest praise possible for any player at his position.

    Geez, get a grip!
    Last edited by RiverDog on Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
    User avatar
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 806
    Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:58 am
    Location: Kennewick, WA


  • RiverDog wrote:Walt had some outrageously low number of holding penalties called on him, something like 8 or 9 in his entire career. He is the only player I've heard of that could miss the entire training came then come in a few days before the opening game and play at a Pro Bowl level.

    Offensive tackles don't get a lot of attention by the media so I didn't come to know Walt like I did players such as Largent and as we are coming to know Russell Wilson, but every time I did hear Walt speak, I liked what I heard.

    I don't know if I want to go so far as to anoint him as best ever as I hate comparing players from different eras, but as CBob said, he has to be included in that elite group of a half dozen or so that should get due consideration.


    Completely agree RD.

    You never heard his name called during the games since he was always shutting out the defenders. He was the best of his era and one of the best all time.

    13 NFL season with all 180 games started (2nd to Largent)
    9 holding penalties (1 in 633 passes)
    23 sacks allowed (1 in 248)
    9 Pro Bowls, 6 AP All Pro, All Decade Team, and rated #1 player at any position in 2005

    http://espn.go.com/blog/seattle-seahawk ... l-spot-now
    Colin Kaepernick wrote:I think our efficiency in the huddle was more of a factor than the crowd.
    User avatar
    C-Dub
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1129
    Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:06 am
    Location: Spokane, WA




It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:07 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information