Stupid Hypothetical Trade Question

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Stupid Hypothetical Trade Question
Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:36 am
  • So since it is the bye week, I am bored and thinking about stupid stuff.

Obviously there is no way this would ever happen, but the what-if part of my brain is curious what you think.

I am wondering what the Seahawks could get if they traded Russell Wilson this offseason. Seriously, if they put him on the trade block, what kind of offers would they get?

Trades like this never happen of course, and I do not want it to happen (just to be clear), but I am just curious what the haul would be since these type of Franchise players are never traded when they are good, making rookie money. There is no established market for something like this ever since draft picks became gold to NFL teams.

I would have to think we'd be talking 3 or 4+ 1st rounders or something like that to make the Seahawks even players in the deal. Just curious what you think he would be worth to another team in a trade scenario. Would a team give up 5 years of 1st rounders if a player like Russell Wilson was available?

You could do the same hypothetical for any good, young player. Andrew Luck would command a huge haul, etc.

In real life, Russell is priceless to the franchise and the Hawks wouldn't even entertain the talks. But we are fans and I just wonder what you think he would be worth to another team.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

Re: Stupid Hypothetical Trade Question
Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:38 am
  • Start with what the Rams got for RGIII and go from there because Wilson is a proven NFL talent pretty much at this point.

I'm thinking he could bring three-to-four firsts or three firsts and a combination of seconds and thirds. Something like Andrew Luck or Cam Newton would also draw if traded for draft picks.
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

--Internet tough guy HawkWow being a MAN on the internet
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:38 am
  • Probably a Herschel Walker deal X 2... I mean the guy is phenomenal and has so many intangibles it's silly.
    nsport
    * NET Sports Handicapper *

Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:40 am
  • nsport wrote:Probably a Herschel Walker deal X 2...

That's where my mind went.
    "Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
    "BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *

Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:45 am
  • I stopped reading when he said 'Trade Russell Wilson'.

Win Forever!
    JonRud
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:48 am
  • Let's pretend we trade him - the sad truth is then we'd have to watch the guy for the next dozen years or so - possibly be a great who takes down 1, 2, or 5 SB trophies. That would sting forever. I'm a firm believer of "dance with the hog that brought ya" - Russell's my hog. Let's get muddy, baby.
    nsport
    * NET Sports Handicapper *

Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:50 am
  • No. I. Don't. Want. To. Think. About. This.

:177692: :177692: :177692:
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:56 am
  • Let me preface it by saying "The Seahawks aren't trading Wilson" So it's not happening. Now hypothetically, he's got very high value in a trade sense. His current contract is attractive and he's proven NFL QB with an enormous upside. So I would think he could garner a high draft pick (1st round). For a guy drafted in the 3rd round, that's pretty good.
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:58 am
  • Just look to the Packers to see how unbelievably valuable a good and reliable QB is to a team in today's NFL. A good QB can keep a coach and GM's job so I think you would be surprised what they would give up for one. I can't remember which site, but someone did an article on how much money and draft picks they gave up trying to get a good QB. It's the most weighted position in all of sports, more than even a pitcher IMO.
    RussellMania
    NET Practice Squad

Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:43 am
  • Sorry, but you were right, this is a stupid question.
    FargoHawk
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:48 am
  • 2 entire drafts.
    35!
    AHH-OOH!
    KK84
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:49 am
  • Whatever you could fetch wouldn't be worth it.
    your Superbowl XLVIII Champion Seattle Seahawks.. how sweet is that!!
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:52 am
  • Why are these threads even started? Its a passive agressive troll move IMO.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:56 am
  • More than St Louis trading Bradford
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:10 pm
  • JonRud wrote:I stopped reading when he said 'Trade Russell Wilson'.

:13: You don't trade a guy with the eye of the tiger.....I prefer to call it the look of the cobra in his eyes. Even when he's having fun on like Sports Nation, I can still see the burning desire to be the best behind the "fun".
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

Proud member of the 38 club
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:45 pm
  • CALIHAWK1 wrote:Why are these threads even started? Its a passive agressive troll move IMO.

Not trying to be a troll at all. I was driving my car the other day and someone on the radio was talking about trades, and the question of "If that guy is worth that, what would Russell Wilson be worth?" came to my mind.

Just thought I would ask to see what people say.

Guess some of you guys take yourselves so seriously that you can't even handle a hypothetical question for fun during the bye week.
    Last edited by HawkFan72 on Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:47 pm
  • Smelly McUgly wrote:Start with what the Rams got for RGIII and go from there because Wilson is a proven NFL talent pretty much at this point.

I'm thinking he could bring three-to-four firsts or three firsts and a combination of seconds and thirds. Something like Andrew Luck or Cam Newton would also draw if traded for draft picks.

Beat me to it. Take what the Redskins paid for RGIII, then add at a minimum a 1st and 2nd rounder.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:58 pm
  • I get nauseous just at the thought of trading Russell. No f'ing way. Not at any price. We've all been waiting most of our lives for Seahawk QB like this. I truly believe before it's over he will be listed among the all-time greats in this game.
    PlinytheCenter
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:00 pm
  • PlinytheCenter wrote:I get nauseous just at the thought of trading Russell. No f'ing way. Not at any price. We've all been waiting most of our lives for Seahawk QB like this. I truly believe before it's over he will be listed among the all-time greats in this game.

I don't think ANY of us would trade him for any price. The question was: What would OTHER teams pay to get him?

I wasn't asking if we should trade him or if it's reasonable to trade him. Of course not!
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:44 pm
  • This thread is fail. What would the Bulls have traded Jordan for in 1991? Nuthin. You just don't trade a winning face of the franchise caliber guy like Russell Wilson for anything. Not that he was traded, but how stupid do the Chargers look for parting company with Drew Brees, who hadn't done a fraction of what Russell Wilson has already done for Seattle?

Nope. Not for all the tea in China or all the beer in Milwaukee. Never trade Russell Wilson........ unless he inexplicably starts to suck, then go ahead and do whatever.
    Radish, check your PMs. Man upstairs has an invite for a tail gate up in heaven with your name on it.
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:55 pm
  • Jesus, he's not advocating for trading Russell, he's just curious what kind of price he would fetch.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:30 pm
  • 2 firsts and the rest of next year's Draft
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:38 pm
  • If Washington gave up all those picks for a QB who didn't even work out, an established Pro Bowler and playoff QB had better fetch an entire draft. From the #1 picking team.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:43 pm
  • razgriz737 wrote:Jesus, he's not advocating for trading Russell, he's just curious what kind of price he would fetch.

At least someone on here can read!
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:46 pm
  • razgriz737 wrote:Jesus, he's not advocating for trading Russell, he's just curious what kind of price he would fetch.

What if we win the Super Bowl and then fired Carroll. Who should we hire? I'm not advocating we fire him post SB just wondering.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:20 pm
  • This thread is funny.

One group is having a conversation based on the OP's "Fun Speculation"

Other group comes in here and pisses in his cereal because the "thought of it makes them faint" when he obviously states this is for fun and not to be taken serious.

Lighten up a bit guys. You do know forums can be used to theorize other things besides the final 53 man roster and draft every year.

To the OP - I would imagine the Hawks would look for 3 firsts and a slew of other mid to high round picks. I could also see them only doing this if they saw a QB they felt could be even better (gasp people I know) at the end of the day always compete.
    [size=50]“Give me your Loud, your Proud,
    Your Jacked Up masses yearning to Scream free,
    The Winning refuse of your Sea Town shore.
    Send these, the Passionate, Loyal, to me:
    I lift my 12 Flag beside the Lombardi.”

― Emma Lazarus (If she was a 12) By BraHn
    [/size]
    Brahn
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:44 pm
  • This thread should be locked and never discussed again!
    #NEXTMANUP
    Evil_Shenanigans
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:16 pm
  • I get what you're doing OP, and to answer the question...it would probably be the biggest trade ever.

Walker got traded for 3 first, 3 second, 1 third, and 1 sixth round pick. Which turned into Emmitt Smith and Darren Woodson, I think Seattle fans would need to see the picks yield this kind of return or something close to it for it to be justified in the end. On top of that, they received 5 players.

Wilson would command WAY more than that. No less than 4 firsts is a jumping off point (in my mind).

Go Hawks.
    SouthSoundHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:25 pm
  • SouthSoundHawk wrote:I get what you're doing OP, and to answer the question...it would probably be the biggest trade ever.

Walker got traded for 3 first, 3 second, 1 third, and 1 sixth round pick. Which turned into Emmitt Smith and Darren Woodson, I think Seattle fans would need to see the picks yield this kind of return or something close to it for it to be justified in the end. On top of that, they received 5 players.

Wilson would command WAY more than that. No less than 4 firsts is a jumping off point (in my mind).

That's how I see it too.

If I am the GM of a team like the Jags...RW is worth 4 1st rounders for me. He will sell tickets, he will take over and win games, he is a proven leader, hard worker, etc, etc.

I think a team that needs a franchise QB would value RW as years worth of 1st rounders.
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:49 pm
  • CALIHAWK1 wrote:
    razgriz737 wrote:Jesus, he's not advocating for trading Russell, he's just curious what kind of price he would fetch.

What if we win the Super Bowl and then fired Carroll. Who should we hire? I'm not advocating we fire him post SB just wondering.

Gruden, of course.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:28 pm
  • What if there were no hypothetical questions?
    NorCalHawk12
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:29 pm
  • Realistic Russell Wilson trade scenario:

First off, all 32 teams would need to be involved. Here would be the terms. There would be a lotto for which team would get Russell. The team "lucky" enough to get Russell would not be allowed to ever play against Seattle until Russell was retired or traded back to Seattle. In the chance there is a Super Bowl matchup between said team and Seattle, the Seahawks would be awarded the win in advance and the game would be played "just for fun"... [Edit: Russell would be forced to suit up for the Seahawks in this scenario, any touching of Russell by an opposing team would result in an automatic TD for the Seahawks from the spot of the foul.]

In addition, every team becomes property of the Seattle Seahawks. All future Super Bowls would be played by Seattle vs. Whoever we want to play, in Seattle. All Draft picks by all teams would be property of the Seahawks. If certain players we "drafted" did not pan out, we would be allowed to take any player from any team we choose at any time for the next 50 years.

I think that's maybe close enough to fair as I could come up involving a trade for Russell

Thoughts???
    chawx
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:58 pm
  • HawkFan72 wrote:
    razgriz737 wrote:Jesus, he's not advocating for trading Russell, he's just curious what kind of price he would fetch.

Oh I comprehended the question just fine. My answer is that WHATEVER offer is on the other end of the phone would likely be turned down without so much as a thought. There is no adequate compensation for Russell Wilson right now. I wouldn't take Aaron Rodgers and a 1st right now. Russell's our guy.

But okay, I'll play your game... If someone can figure out a way go back in time and bring back OJ Simpson before he killed all those white people, maybe. Better yet, go back in time and get a 12 year old OJ, then go to about 1992 and get Warren Moon. Then take the two of them, put them in a Buddhist temple in a jungle somewhere for like 8 years and have 12 year old OJ learn how to play QB just like Warren Moon from Warren Moon and a bunch of Shaolin monks. Then bring 20 year old SUPER OJ back to 2013. I take that guy PLUS your next 8 years of 1st round drafts.

...maybe.
    Radish, check your PMs. Man upstairs has an invite for a tail gate up in heaven with your name on it.
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:55 am
  • Could see them trading someone like Malcolm Smith , possibly.

Only reason is what they have other teams want/need and would over pay.
    Uffda
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:50 am
  • What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
    Wizofwest
    NET Rookie

Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:54 am
  • chawx wrote:Realistic Russell Wilson trade scenario:

First off, all 32 teams would need to be involved. Here would be the terms. There would be a lotto for which team would get Russell. The team "lucky" enough to get Russell would not be allowed to ever play against Seattle until Russell was retired or traded back to Seattle. In the chance there is a Super Bowl matchup between said team and Seattle, the Seahawks would be awarded the win in advance and the game would be played "just for fun"... [Edit: Russell would be forced to suit up for the Seahawks in this scenario, any touching of Russell by an opposing team would result in an automatic TD for the Seahawks from the spot of the foul.]

In addition, every team becomes property of the Seattle Seahawks. All future Super Bowls would be played by Seattle vs. Whoever we want to play, in Seattle. All Draft picks by all teams would be property of the Seahawks. If certain players we "drafted" did not pan out, we would be allowed to take any player from any team we choose at any time for the next 50 years.

I think that's maybe close enough to fair as I could come up involving a trade for Russell

Thoughts???

That's getting close to pretty fair, IMO. haha
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:08 am
  • Imo, the only reasonable trade would be all of a team's 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks until such time that Russell retires.
    your Superbowl XLVIII Champion Seattle Seahawks.. how sweet is that!!
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:12 am
  • Well, the Seahawks got a 1st Rd pick for Rich Mirer. So Wilson would be worth...
    Give me some damn skittles...
    Basis4day
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:27 am
  • HawkFan72 wrote:

Yeah...but you were thinking outside the box. What are you...some kind of free thinking, non-conformist?? ; )

Cap aside, how about RW for a pkg that brings us Luck, Watt, Kuechly and Megatron? Would the OP be ridiculed for that trade? You'd have to hate on Paul Allen, too. Cuz if the OP could pull that off, Mr. Allen would fire JS and hire the OP.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:51 pm
  • HawkFan72 wrote:
    chawx wrote:Realistic Russell Wilson trade scenario:

Thoughts???

That's getting close to pretty fair, IMO. haha

Yeah, that's about right. Plus, 12 bajilliony trilliony dollars to be divvied up amongst all Seahawks fans.
    HawkAroundTheClock
    NET Veteran

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:42 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information