If we finish 15-1...

skater18000

Reaction score
Russell will be one victory away from having the best winning percentage of all time.

He currently sits at 3rd all time with a record of 21-6 behind. Wouldn't that be awesome if Russell had the best winning percentage of all time, and of course he owns the best home winning pecentage of all time.

OP
OP
skater18000

skater18000

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":19nf2463 said:
Be damn hard to top Otto Graham and the other guy...68-16 or something more ridiculous.

Russell's 6 games away from taking the lead though

themunn

Reaction score
That's a record that is worthless before you retire though, since it's one you can lose again.

I thought this thread was going to be the question I was going to ask - if the Seahawks finish 15-1 AND win the Superbowl... based on how they've played so far, how would they rank in the pantheon of great teams? Only three other teams have won 18 games in a season, only two of them won the Superbowl. The 84 49ers, the 85 Bears and the 07 Patriots.

Are we that level? Obviously, if we win, yes IMO. But will others see it like that?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":261awzsw said:
Be damn hard to top Otto Graham and the other guy...68-16 or something more ridiculous.
Not too much impressed with the records in days of old.
At least not after listening to Steve Largent, and hearing him go on about how much Bigger, and Faster the players are nowadays, as compared to the times that he was tearing it up, ALTHOUGH he did say that he thought that he would stillhave been able to compete with the huge and athletic monster Corners that are now playing the games, but he said that he had his doubts that he could have been as effective, and made the same kind of impact if he had to face the same kind of players back in his hay-day.

RiverDog

Reaction score
skater18000":1cx4w5f1 said:
Russell will be one victory away from having the best winning percentage of all time.

He currently sits at 3rd all time with a record of 21-6 behind. Wouldn't that be awesome if Russell had the best winning percentage of all time, and of course he owns the best home winning pecentage of all time.

I could care less about individual stats and honors. Just give me a Lombardi. That's all I want.

kearly

Reaction score
themunn":3p0efuhc said:
That's a record that is worthless before you retire though, since it's one you can lose again.

I thought this thread was going to be the question I was going to ask - if the Seahawks finish 15-1 AND win the Superbowl... based on how they've played so far, how would they rank in the pantheon of great teams? Only three other teams have won 18 games in a season, only two of them won the Superbowl. The 84 49ers, the 85 Bears and the 07 Patriots.

Are we that level? Obviously, if we win, yes IMO. But will others see it like that?

At 18-1? They'd better.

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
scutterhawk":39vz03yg said:
At least not after listening to Steve Largent, and hearing him go on about how much Bigger, and Faster the players are nowadays, as compared to the times that he was tearing it up

Theory of Relativity??

The Radish

Reaction score
LawlessHawk":spgfjx58 said:
scutterhawk":spgfjx58 said:
At least not after listening to Steve Largent, and hearing him go on about how much Bigger, and Faster the players are nowadays, as compared to the times that he was tearing it up

Theory of Relativity??

I'm just the opposite, seeing these older records and looking at what they had to work with in those days. Some really bug me like the most yards by a running back. they gave the record to a guy that barely broke it in 16 games while OJ made his yards in a 14 game season. I think they should show that difference.

I think records like that they should list as yards gained in 14 & 16 game seasons.

:les:

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
The Radish":ttyt8we0 said:
LawlessHawk":ttyt8we0 said:
scutterhawk":ttyt8we0 said:

Theory of Relativity??

I'm just the opposite, seeing these older records and looking at what they had to work with in those days. Some really bug me like the most yards by a running back. they gave the record to a guy that barely broke it in 16 games while OJ made his yards in a 14 game season. I think they should show that difference.

I think records like that they should list as yards gained in 14 & 16 game seasons.

Most definitely it's just like baseball with the 154/162 game seasons. Didn't the NFL start out with 12 game seasons?

fenderbender123

Reaction score
The Radish":262ybr7k said:
LawlessHawk":262ybr7k said:
scutterhawk":262ybr7k said:

Theory of Relativity??

One thing I always point out when somebody downgrades stats and performances of players of the old days is that if that player had been born in today's evolution of mankind and with all the equipment, training, technology and all-around know-how to tune an athlete, they would be even better.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Go watch some film of NFL games in the 80s, or worse, the 70s.

DBs were practically allowed to impale someone on a pickaxe in an attempt to stop people from catching the ball.

Largent would have flourished in a system where you can barely impede the progress of a WR vs an older era where you could literally closeline receivers to keep them from being able to catch the ball.

Players are certainly bigger and faster, but the rules of the game are so slanted in favor of the offense that the records don't matter anymore. Offensive players get more possessions because current rules give them more opportunities for first downs and for the TDs that follow. Remember when Kurt Warner was putting up 300+ yd passing games routinely and it was this amazing accomplishment? Now QBs routinely rip past the 300 yd mark and nobody bats an eyelash.

I truly believe that offensive production is inflated by the changes in rules and officiating practices (as well as # of games).

Largent would have done just fine.

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":226beeqs said:
Go watch some film of NFL games in the 80s, or worse, the 70s.

DBs were practically allowed to impale someone on a pickaxe in an attempt to stop people from catching the ball.

Largent would have flourished in a system where you can barely impede the progress of a WR vs an older era where you could literally closeline receivers to keep them from being able to catch the ball.

Players are certainly bigger and faster, but the rules of the game are so slanted in favor of the offense that the records don't matter anymore. Offensive players get more possessions because current rules give them more opportunities for first downs and for the TDs that follow. Remember when Kurt Warner was putting up 300+ yd passing games routinely and it was this amazing accomplishment? Now QBs routinely rip past the 300 yd mark and nobody bats an eyelash.

I truly believe that offensive production is inflated by the changes in rules and officiating practices (as well as # of games).

Largent would have done just fine.

Great post, but in addition, all things be equal, Largent himself playing in this age would also be stronger and more 'fit' if you like, in line with current team strength and conditioning practices. It's interesting to imagine him stronger and yes, a bit faster...and man-handled less.

BlueTalons

Reaction score
themunn":2b3drkc6 said:

Yep and nobody talks about the 1998 Vikings, the 2004 Steelers, or the 2011 Packers...gota have the Lombardi!